Egg on Aus/Kiwi faces as viewership number dwindle

Forum » Rugby » Egg on Aus/Kiwi faces as viewership number dwindle

May 05, 2022, 14:50

The Irish are raving about the new viewership numbers in the URC. It has propelled the competitions weekly viewing numbers to 1 million + per round. Not to mention some real interest in the latter rounds with this data still to be released. 

As for Australia, they can't even get 100 000 people to watch both NZ and Australia games. This doesn't bode well for them as union as the money will start drying up. 

SA  has every right to feel that they bring the lions share of the viewership and having SA teams play in your league creates a huge boost on viewership, not to mention the competition that gets created. 

On the other side, Wales are following behind and there are talks that they may drop a team. In my honest opinion it would be the right thing to do and hopefully open the door for the cheetahs to return. 

That said, in my other post it all depends how much money our teams can get and hopefully get at least 75% of our top players back in the country. 

SARU also reported a small profit which i expect will increase over the next few seasons. 

May 05, 2022, 15:41

Hopefully my WP can recover from their financial woes.

May 05, 2022, 16:17

Besides the financial benefits mentioned which is great for the Unions struggling I miss the SUPER rugby series with the AB's and the Aussies.

Cannot get into the new format and besides that the new rules are spoiling the game for me.

Pity but the game is turning into a type of touch rugby.

Thankfully more football and cricket available to fill the gap.

May 06, 2022, 03:36

Destroying something as good as the Super 12 was, takes some real stupidity.

May 06, 2022, 06:55

yes, it's a pity that Super Rugby got too bog for their boots...the conference system killed it...S14 was still OK.

May 06, 2022, 18:06

Well it seems all I predicted about us going north is coming true.

Doubtless our players will earn more this way, travel is less of a problem and chances are we will retain more of our players.

Also as predicted the down under louts, and in particular the poor kbbs, will be ruing the day they did note take Beeno's oh s valuable advise and give us a fair deal financially and on the field of play. Hopefully all bent refs will be takin a severe pay cut!

Just Win is probably in a deep depression along with Warped Dud and the other faint hearted kbbs.

And yes of course Beeno was way ahead of the curve on this issue.

A time may arise in the future when he oks down under have learnt their lesson. If we want t return we return on our terms. :D

Hahahhaahhahaha

May 08, 2022, 14:46

Didn't even notice the Super Rugby comp this weekend. All eyes on Europe as the business end of the season kicks into gear. 

A sprinkling of bok players in all of the European quarterfinals. Some good AB in action to, but won't feature for them. 

Based on our performance in the URC. Will be interesting to see if we have an SA team in the quarters next or even finals next year. 

May 08, 2022, 16:00

The truth is we have simply lost our International Club competition. All we have is domestic rubbish and internationals. A lot of the fun has gone out of rugby, and in due course our lack of competition will affect our international strength as well.

There is nothing here to applaud.

You need to Log in to reply.