Elton to play scrumhalf? And the return of Frans

Forum » Rugby » Elton to play scrumhalf? And the return of Frans

Jun 03, 2019, 16:56

Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus could make a surprise selection at scrumhalf for next month’s Rugby Championship clash against Australia in Johannesburg.

Afrikaans newspaper Rapport indicated on Sunday that Stormers scrumhalf Herschel Jantjies could get a national call-up.

The 23-year-old Jantjies has been a standout performer for the Stormers this season and looks set to be rewarded.

The report added that Jantjies is currently preferred to the Bulls scrumhalf duo of Embrose Papier and Ivan van Zyl, who made their Springbok debuts last season.

Jantjies may even start against the Wallabies on July 20, with the report adding that incumbent scrumhalf Faf de Klerk will only be considered for the Test against the All Blacks in Wellington on July 27.

England-based Cobus Reinach (Northampton Saints) and Francois Hougaard (Worceser Warriors), are reportedly also part of the discussion.

The report added that French-based centre Frans Steyn could also face the Wallabies, with regular midfielder Damian de Allende rested. The 32-year-old Steyn played the last of his 56 Tests in 2017.

The introduction of the slim center would offer the Boks some zest on attack which has been blunted with de Allende in the mix. Steyns combination of soft hands and silky hair combined with his robust tackling, running together with his fluent Japrikaans accent would be a real asset to the Boks right now.

The Boks will conclude their campaign in a shortened Rugby Championship against Argentina in Salta on August 10.

Before the World Cup, South Africa will also play an additional international against Los Pumas in Pretoria on August 17.

Jun 03, 2019, 17:01

Hahahaha......how the Bloo Blazes can they know now that Allende will need to be rested in July. Hell the Stormers may finally catch up with moz and play Willemse at 12 and rest the utterly useless Allende for the remainder of the Super season.

But bring back Frans and Jantjies is miles ahead of Papier as a real option.

Jun 03, 2019, 17:02

Chippo

What have Fat Fransie got to do with the  Springboks - he is the one who is not even used by his club at center - totally useless.   Slim he never was - clever he was never too.   

Fransie is not a centers arse - or probably he is.   Plumtree said he is no center and Montpellier agrees with Plumtree in this case.   

Jun 03, 2019, 17:20

Hilarious Mike comes back from his cricketing deep dive .....couldn't resist the Frans lure.

Jun 03, 2019, 17:30

like a moth to a flame...

Mike is so predictble.

I could lure him out of his grave one day.

Jun 03, 2019, 20:31

Or keep him from his grave....threaten a daily Frans post and he wouldn't dare to croak. Throw in Willem Alberts for good measure!

Jun 03, 2019, 20:38

Lol, we've all got our triggers, but if that "slim center" did not give it away, I really don't know.... Even in his prime, slim wasn't the adjective that jumped to mind when discussing Fransie...Great player, but I'm afraid his time is past for Bok honors..ah well, maybe he can surprize me.

Jun 03, 2019, 23:45

Elton Herschel Jantjies is no surprise. He is the best new scrumhalf to hit the scene in SA for the last 5 years or so. Ivan Van Zyl is useless. 

Cobus Reinach is an option, but please do not call up the bumbling Hougaard. Both these players are actually small wings, but Reinach has a more all-around game required for a test level scrumhalf. 

Fat Fransie always seems to return for the world cup. With inside centre, the Boks have so few options. 
Jan Serfontein is probably the best of a bad bunch. 

Jun 04, 2019, 18:33

Why not rope in Pienaar as well. He can cover 9, 10 and 15. 

Will give the youngster some much needed guidance, but I agree that Jantjies has been the form 9 and absolute revelation. 

But my preferred choices would be De Klerk and Reinach with Jantjies as their understudy. 

Only 4 test left until the World Cup and it would be a complete waste of time to drop Papier now, but he has not been playing well at all. Although, I wonder if Pote had anything to do with his form. Not sure how we are going to get Jantjies ready for World Cup rugby

Jun 05, 2019, 08:46

No Pienaar, whilst his passing is pin point and his kicking is decent he offers little attacking threat and has no sense of urgency and is way too casual. 

Pote has screwed with the scrumhalves all season, changing who was starting week by week. Papier was getting into some form at the beginning of the season and then was benched for Van Zyl for his troubles.

Jun 05, 2019, 09:42

Ruan Pienaar???

wtf?

Jun 05, 2019, 10:49

Haha, yes, that was a joke about Pienaar. But we are really thin on experience scrum halves at present. 

I would definitely have Faf as starter with Reinach. At least Reneich has 9 caps to his name. That said, if he can play in the 4 remaining test before WC should get him into double figures. 

But I think it is foolish to bet on Papier as he is not ready yet. 

It might also be his age. He is only 21 where Jantjies is 23 and have had to work a bit harder on his game, but is now starting to show real potential. 

I don't mind having a couple of youngsters in the squad, but they will have to be the best and probably not in the most crucial position as your 9. 

You need to Log in to reply.