Erasmus comments about the game against Japan

Forum » Rugby » Erasmus comments about the game against Japan

Sep 11, 2019, 07:55

The following from News 24:-

Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus says his side deliberately played without the ball for large parts against Japan in order to prepare for the All Blacks.

The Boks beat the Japanese 41-7 in Saitama last Friday but their win was based on a staunch defensive effort.

Erasmus' charges only had 36% possession but defended their tryline like Trojans.

But this was the plan, Erasmus admitted, as the South Africans expect dominating possession to be difficult in their opening World Cup game against New Zealand in Yokohama.

"Playing without the ball was intentional. Just for this first game to see how it goes. Because we never know what it (the weather conditions) will be like against New Zealand," Erasmus said, as quoted by the NZ Herald website.

Conditions are expected to be slippery in South Africa's opener against New Zealand - either because of rain or simply wet due to the extreme heat and humidity in Japan.

This makes a possession-dominated game plan tough to execute.

"One of our first priorities was to adapt to the weather circumstances. The humidity meant the ball was wet, after 25 minutes all the jerseys were wet and the arms were wet. We are used to this sort of thing from games in Durban in February so we treated it like it was a wet weather game," Erasmus added.

"It paid off a bit but there were times when Japan almost got away and scored tries. So I would say that there were stages we were really effective in doing it but also Japan could have capitalised on opportunities at other stages and then it could have been a different game."

The Springboks are in Kagoshima this week where more than 6 000 locals watched them train in sweltering heat on Monday.

The Boks were the first of the visiting World Cup teams to touch down in Japan and Erasmus said it was to properly acclimatise to the hot and humid conditions.

The coach also explained why they chose Kagoshima as their base this week: "We visited quite a few sites to see which was the best opportunity for us, and Kagoshima was the best. Everything is top notch, the hotel, the food and the training facility so we’re very happy here and that's given us a good chance to do well in the World Cup.

"We also chose it because the extreme conditions of the heat makes sure the body is well conditioned so that when we get to the match it's easier. It was part of the thinking in planning to put the guys in some extreme conditions so that when it comes to the match they would be well prepared."

The Springboks will transfer to Tokyo on Saturday for the official Rugby World Cup welcoming ceremony.

The Test against the All Blacks in Yokohama is scheduled for September 21."

The giving away of possession through poor kicking will be a disaster against the All Blacks.  In another post it was clear that 60%  of De Klerk's kicking was poor possession turn-over kicks, with Pollard contributing 30% of such kicks being the same - while 100% of the kicks of Steyn was sheer BS,

That strategy will be a disaster against the AB's with their much better attacking abilities.   So what I suspect would happen is that the Springboks will make less fruitless kicks in the AB test,   For that they need a stronger and more effective Tight 5 and better line-out play than was the case in Wellington.  

There is very little Erasmus can do about that issue other than the replacement of Mostert by a physically  stronger player.   Other than Du Toit the Springbok loosies was totally outplayed by Labuschagne - but  some clean-up would be necessary,   

Sep 11, 2019, 11:49

The Boks deliberately played without the ball because they cannot use it, they go through almost every test without much of the ball. This team ranks very low for carries, metres, and all other attack stats. This wasn't a one-off preparatory strategy, it's how the Boks have always played under J-Raz. 

Sep 11, 2019, 14:15

Listen dim Liza - you should know this is one of the other lies you regularly prat about.  Why did the Springboks score double the tries in five tests in 2019 compared to 2015? 

By the way I did not mention it - but Erasmus strategies off the field was smart - compared to those of dumb Meyer - now put that in your pipe and smoke it Liza - the habitual liar.   LMAO.

He split the squad before the Ausie test and send the other players to NZ to acclimatize earlier and you and Strzok nearly had a fit.    He played a weird collection in the warm-up game against  Argentina in SA  and send the duds like Esterhuizen home and not included them in the WC squad and he went early to Japan to get the team acclimatized before the WC.   Meyer made a total hash of the 2015 squad selection and ended up with unplayable players and a bad loss against Japan in the WC.   

Compare those measures to what Meyer came up with and the effect s clear - Meyer is a dud coach as I have maintained for years. LMAO.     .     

Sep 11, 2019, 14:42

More tries? Worse opposition. Simple. The best opponent played at altitude to boot. 

You are unbelievable Lügnerin. Here are the facts, not opinions. 

2015-2019

Carries: 332 vs 204
Metres: 1157 vs 528
Defenders Beaten: 65 vs 26
Offloads: 27 vs 13
Tackle %: 85.6% vs 83.1%

It'snot even remotely close. Rassie's Boks don't use the ball. They aren't good at using the ball. The Boks in 2015, away from home, in their third worst venue on earth, with only 22% possession, out-produced the 2019 Bok's test against a much weaker Wallaby side. You are taking a pounding here. This is the twenty-second time I have posted this. Can you defy expectations and learn something new? 

Sep 11, 2019, 14:59

Foeitog - Liza is still using fiction and forget about winning of matches when trying to prove the BS he peddles.   Stats can be very different from results of matches - because dumb rugby - the real expertise of Meyer was playing dumb rugby - does not win matches.   

Then there is the classic - the teams were all poorer than they were in 2015.   Lizatjie - the Japanese this year is twice the team they were in 2015.   And they were smart getting top class players from outside to strengthen the side.    Labuschagne  was twice the player Vermeulen and Kolisi combined were  on Saturday.   I really laughed when I saw how silly the two of you were in the past and how you continue to break world records in a combination of lies,  distortion and pure idiocy. LOL

Sep 11, 2019, 15:58

This is the ultimate rejection of ball in hand rugby......the Clapper doctrine. We are winning by not running with the ball in phase play......just kicking, defending and counter attacking.

Sep 11, 2019, 16:53

Strzok

Look at a couple of tries scored  against Japan alone.   Ball is passed to De Allende, from him to Du Toit - who drew in two defemnders and gave a pass to  Mapimpi in the clear to score the try.   Top class ball in hand try that one.  

Most of the tries scored can be analyzed in the same basis.        

Sep 11, 2019, 17:04

Funny stuff Clapper, two passes are state of the art in your bald-headed world. LMAOFY&Y!

Sep 11, 2019, 17:26

Strzok

It was just an example.  

By the way I made a scathing comment on Labuschagne - running away from your previous idiocy?

Sep 11, 2019, 17:42

Well he was playing against DudToit, no surprise he had acres of room.

Sep 11, 2019, 21:35

No Strzok

His defense, ball protection and ball carrying all showed he was a better player than  Vermeulen and Kolisi combined were.   Anyway he is yet another player that showed how shallow your rugby thinking really is and what BS you come up with.      

Sep 11, 2019, 21:35

Duplication

Sep 11, 2019, 23:00

I love Lügnerin's conclusion: Da oak passed to the other oak who passed to the other oak. Oakie dokey artichokey, we has a try.

"Most of the tries scored can be analyzed in the same basis."

You're not helping Rassie. Help him; don't help him. Savvy?

Sep 12, 2019, 01:01

Mama mia  the Liza Page simpleton has gone madder than he used to be, LMAO  

Sep 12, 2019, 01:47

Two passes and Clapper applauds.....

Sep 12, 2019, 01:52

Sep 12, 2019, 01:01am

Sep 12, 2019, 07:44

His defense, ball protection and ball carrying all showed he was a better player than  Vermeulen and Kolisi combined were.

Actually, apart from the nice break near the end, Lappies' ball carrying was nothing special. He had one short +-8m run down the wing at 39:35 and then the big 35m break in minute 76, but his carries into traffic amounted to nothing (see 18:35, 42:05, 48:22, 57:45, etc).

He also didn't attack the ball at rucks. I didn't see him slowing down or trying to turn over ball at a ruck even once. He certainly looked busy, but apart from the 11 tackles and perhaps killing the ball in the Bok maul in minute 35, his overall contribution was pretty insignificant.

Sep 12, 2019, 09:49

Comey

What was the comparative value of Vermeulen and Kolisi in all aspects of the game?   That remains the question to be answered.   I know it hit him badly - but your hero Strzok spoke BS in the past and it is not necessary to repeat same here.

I would much rather have had Labuschagne in the Springbok squad than the useless Louw.   Meyer f#cked up badly by picking Mohoje and the useless Alberts ahead of him anyway and Erasmus was too late to stop the rot in this case.        

Sep 12, 2019, 12:26

For starters, both Kolisi and Vermeulen won us a turnover penalty each with Japan threatening our line.  Kolisi was very involved on defense, making 15 tackles and for once looked to be more physically involved around the rucks. I haven't isolated his game yet, but having done so for Vermeulen and Lappies, I can't see any clear advantage that Lappies would offer us.

Take away his admittedly excellent break near the end and you're left with a lot of standard graft with little contribution at the breakdowns apart from a few standard cleanouts. This was the first time in years I've seen him play and he looks a decent player, but I didn't see anything that made me think we were missing out by not having him in the mix.

Sep 12, 2019, 12:53

I said Comey that he is a better loosie  than Louw and the duds Meyer insisted on ever was.   Vermeulen  was poor in two of the three tests he played in this year and even Kolisi was better than him on test level.

Your bias and  distortions of what happen in games are why you show near to zero rugby literacy at all.  

Happy Distortion and Liars Day to you. LMAO      

Sep 12, 2019, 13:32

Erasmus was poor in two of the three tests he played in this year

Yes, but in fairness, I think we'd all agree Rassie's prime was around 15-20 years ago, so cut him some slack. Probably why he was jogging so slowly last year against England already.

Sep 12, 2019, 13:35

I said Comey that he is a better loosie  than Louw

No, here's what you said:

His defense, ball protection and ball carrying all showed he was a better player than  Vermeulen and Kolisi combined were.

Sep 12, 2019, 13:39

Obvious mistake corrected.  Thanks Comey for your gentleman-like correction.  LOL

Sep 12, 2019, 14:17

The team may be filled with quotas but at least it's a better caliber of quota.

Rassie has done away with the Mohoje and Kirschner types.

Ok ... Kolisi qualifies as a Mohoje type but Rassie has no choice but to persist with this dweeb. That's what you get when you want to impress the natives.

At least he replaced the useless Rudi Page with one who has talent. In fact I would say that the replacement could easily slot in as the starting 9. He would in my team.

Meyer brought in some dubious props in his day. Wow!!! Haaaaaaaaahahahahahahaaa!!1 Let's face it, he didn't have a clue what a talented player looked like.

Poor dear. What's a man to do? If you're doff then you're doff ... you can only work with the brain cells you've been given ... and those outside centers of his ... haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaaa ... total shambles!! JJ Engelbrecht ... Stupid Dave's favourite. 

I remember how we all prayed he'd see the light. He never did.

Japan is not a team you should be measuring yourself by ... but at least he beat them convincingly ... unlike ... um ... Meyer.

The All Blacks are not what they were. They have a useless coach and a team filled with the elderly.  

Rassie's team of quotas has a good shot at taking the trophy. 

Gooooooooooooooo Englaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnd!!

Sep 12, 2019, 15:20

After you were schooled....your words Carbuncle:

'In other words, Mozart ... if ever we needed a solid defender in the back line, it's at 13. I see your point. Strange how we ended up selecting the worse defender in the entire squad for this critical position.'

Sep 12, 2019, 16:35

Who are we speaking of here?

JJ?

Sep 12, 2019, 16:37

Schooled? You aren't suggesting that I was schooled by you, are you?

Haaaaaaaaahahahahaha!!

Didn't think so.

Sep 12, 2019, 16:39

Your words...not mine. 'You (finally) see my point'...schooled.

Sep 12, 2019, 16:44

Aaaaah ... well Mozart, you do have a habit of waffling on aimlessly, so when a logical comment shows up, it comes as a bit of a surprise.

I was merely encouraging you to focus on logical thought as a means of avoiding embarrassment.

You never did thank me for my kindness.

Sep 12, 2019, 16:57

Hahahahaha!......sure, splutter on .....but do yourself the favour you did above, stick with moz!

Sep 12, 2019, 19:26

Strzok - and betray rugby as a game? LMAO

You need to Log in to reply.