You need to LOG IN to reply.

Erasmus is talking to 12 foreign based players

Forum » Rugby » Erasmus is talking to 12 foreign based players

Feb 06, 2019, 08:48

The following article from News24:-

"Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus has confirmed that he will again include overseas-based players for the national team in 2019.

Erasmus told Netwerk24 on Tuesday that he has been in talks "with about 12" overseas-based players but stressed that the majority of his squad will be made up of local players.

In 2018, players like Faf de Klerk (Sale Sharks, England), Willie le Roux (Wasps, England) and Cheslin Kolbe (Toulouse, France) caught the eye in a Springbok jersey.

"Cheslin Kolbe is a classic example of a player whose name was mentioned nowhere and suddenly formed a part of the team. We're not going to announce who we've been in contact with, because if we do that them people will automatically think we're going to pick those players," Erasmus said.

"We've contacted those players just to make sure we have enough depth in every position. That's where Cheslin came into the picture - when (Makazole) Mapimpi and S’bu (Nkosi) got injured. Cheslin had enough experience.

"There are about 12 (overseas-based) guys I've had contact with. Let's say seven of them will not be part of the Bok group at all, but if we pick up injuries along the way then they can be called up."

Erasmus was in Bloemfontein in Tuesday where he paid the Cheetahs a visit, as part of his countrywide tour to collaborate ideas with all six of the country's franchises.

The Springboks will play five Tests before the Rugby World Cup in Japan.

They will play three Rugby Championship Tests - Australia (Johannesburg, July 20), New Zealand (Wellington, July 27) and Argentina (away at a yet to be determined venue, August 10).

The Boks will play an additional Test against Argentina in Pretoria (August 17), as well as a World Cup warm-up game against Japan in Saitama (September 6)."

So who could be the about 12 players Erasmus talked  with could be,   One has to assume that on the list may  be  the   six players who played  Springbok Rugby  in 2018 already.   In  the list of 12 is potentially six players:-

*     Le Roux

*     De Klerk

*     Kolbe

*     Louw

*     Mostert

*     Koch

Of the above I think that Le Roux, De Klerk and possibly Koch may be the only certainties on the list that could be amongst the five referred to in the article.    With De Jager back and Snyman likely to be fit by April as well as Schickerling -  SA has an over-supply of locks – assuming Du Toit is not in the picture as well and the  Springbok loosie problems.   I do not think  that  Mostert will be on the list as well.

We have indeed loosie problems.    I watched Vermeulen on Saurday and  he did not make a real impression at 8 – fact is that Augustus put in a better all-round performance than Vermeulen.   Unless the situation improves in the real Super Rugby matches  vermeulen would fade out in future,    Louw has been so-so  for the Springboks  - not really a contender anymore.

On the wing and backup full back situation I think Kolbe is a very good attacking player – but with real   problems in defence.    He is just physically too small to be really competitive.

So who would be the six players not mentioned above:-

*     DH van der Merwe

*      Serfontein

*      Reinach

*      Jacques du Plessis

*      Coetzee

*      Goosen

*      Pierre Schoeman

Jacques Du Plessis is playing at 8 for Montpellier and is doing very well.   Coetzee can play at 6,7 and 8   - so a real option as well.

So my guess is the following is likely to be in the Springbok squad –ie the five players  Erasmus referred to:-

*    Willie le Roux

*     Faf de Klerk

*     DH van der Merwe

*     Jacques du  Plessis

*     Koch

The rest could feature – since the Springboks in fact require 3 scrummies  - Reinach coud come in if either of the three  contenders  (De Klerk, Papier or Van Zyl)  get injured, but Erasmus may look at Schreuder  as a local option first.

Goosen may come into the picture if Pollard or Willemse get injured.   Jantjies may be a third option  -  but he goes to pieces under pressure and  his defence borders on the non-existent,

Van der Merwe is the hottest wing in NH rugby at present – he is one o the key reasons why Edinburgh is in the European Cup quarters  for the first time since 1992 with a home game in the bargain as well.   The other is Pierre Schoeman  at no 1.    Both are  seriously hot players this year.

Feb 06, 2019, 11:46

The players he should be talking to are:

Unfortunately it’s too late for Paul Willemse

Faf de Klerk Reinach Serfontein Rohan Janse v Rensburg Frans Venter Duhan vd Merwe Immelmann Goosen Willie Kolbe Ollie Kebble Pierre Schoeman Marcel vd Merwe Maks v Dyk Koch Jean Kleyn Jacques du Plessis Ackerman Marcel Coetzee Jaco Kriel Carr Arno Botha Mostert

Feb 06, 2019, 12:31

Dave

I have recently seen vey little about rugby played by some of the players listed by you.   In the main I have seen two matches in which Kebble played and cannot agree about him being on the list.

Those I have not seen playing at all include Rohan Janse van Rensburg, Frans  Venter, Immelmann, Marcel van der Merwe, Maks van Dyk, Botha and Ackerman,   As far as I could figure out Janse van Rensburg and Ackerman are injured and could not play at all for months now..

In essence  I agree with most players on your list - since most players on the list given were in positions where the Springboks do have problems, ie amongst the Outside Backs and the Loosies,        .    

Feb 06, 2019, 12:55

In the end, it doesn't matter who he speaks to.

He needs 50% black representation ... so in other words, 15 guys are all he has to make proper selections with. The rest will be a mix of sub standard quotas.

Beast, Bongi and Kolisi are all definite inclusions So are Nkosi, Dyantyi, Jantjies and De Allende.

I don't know why you sound so excited, Mike. There is nothing to get excited about.

Feb 06, 2019, 13:34

CC

The problem is  not as clearcut as you make it out to be.   There are clearly some players of colour identified for consideration - but I think that if thy get injured what then - there are not normally sufficient back-up to be considered,

Deficient performances by and injuries of the earmarked players can potentially be replaced and that is a loophole that Erasmus can use,      

Feb 06, 2019, 14:48

Beast, Bongi and Kolisi are all definite inclusions So are Nkosi, Dyantyi, Jantjies and De Allende.

De Allende identifies as a white cis-gender male and can therefore not be considered for quota purposes... :P

Feb 06, 2019, 14:55

Where the hell is my flyswatter ... ??

Feb 06, 2019, 15:01

Jacque Du Plessis doesn't have the intelligence for test rugby and Goosen is too unreliable in more than one way.

Coetzee and Serfontein are two players I hope he's talking to, with Reinach, Schoeman and Duhan van der Merwe in decent form being potentials too. 

Feb 06, 2019, 15:02

Mike ... all injured players will need to be replaced ... however ... that doesn't change the 50% quota requirement.

We have ample 2nd rate black players in the country waiting to come in. Black will replace black ... 

Feb 06, 2019, 16:21

CC - who says?  Erasmus replaced Beast with Thomas du Toit when Beast was injured.

Feb 06, 2019, 17:02

Yes he did ... but he's never come close to the 50% requirement ... and remember he brought the useless Am in.

The 50% requirement is for the coming WC. Has that changed?

Feb 06, 2019, 20:08

Carumba another Dave list of useless players....he never gives up on duds like Marcel van der Merwe. What's wrong with this clown's brain?

Feb 06, 2019, 20:38

CC

It is an objective which an effort will be made to attain it,  If there are sound reasons why it could not be attained - the situation could change,   Lets wait and see what actually happens/

There is already a fightback by Kolisi against quota selections and he would despite his personal quota status have influence in political circles/

Which players would you like to be considered . .The orc obviously unable t offer anything other than his standard attack on Dave..      ,     

Feb 07, 2019, 01:32

Van der Merwe is the hottest wing in NH rugby at present  .

I don't think James Lowe (Leinster) would agree with that statement Oom Mike.

Coetzee has just today signed a 3 year extension with Ulster. Good luck to him and those knees. He's been really unfortunate with injuries and is now the wrong side of his twenties. 

You need to Log in to reply.