Etzebeth broken finger nail adds to Stormers' injury woes

Forum » Rugby » Etzebeth broken finger nail adds to Stormers' injury woes

Jun 02, 2019, 21:12

Cape Town - The Stormers will conclude their 2019 Super Rugby season without the services of star lock Eben Etzebeth.

According to reports, Etzebeth has a broken fingernail, sustained in the Cape side's horror 41-22 defeat to the Lions at Ellis Park on Saturday.

Etzebeth was seen receiving treatment and having his finger strapped shortly before half-time and didn't appear for the second stanza.

Initially, the SuperSport commentators mentioned on air that Etzebeth had broken his ankle, but that appears to have been an inaccurate diagnosis.

The Stormers will need to regroup ahead of their final two matches against the Sunwolves (Saturday, June 8 - 17:15) and Sharks (Saturday, June 15 - 15:05) - both at Newlands.

Victory in those matches will almost certainly book an unlikely playoff spot (at 8-8) for a team currently rock-bottom of the South African Conference and 11th in the Overall standings.

The Stormers will also be without inspirational skipper Siya Kolisi for the remainder of the tournament and are sweating on injuries to a host of other key players, including Pieter-Steph du Toit, Cobus Wiese and Kobus Man Dyk.

Image result for etzebeth bruno
Eben Etzebeth (Gallo)

Jun 02, 2019, 21:27

The Stormers will also be without inspirational skipper Siya Kolisi       huh? ... what is so inspirational about him?

Jun 02, 2019, 22:28

Hahahaha Blikkies....he's about as inspirational as the Proteas. But ever since he became captain his first name changed to Inspirational.

Jun 02, 2019, 23:11

I see wee Etzebeth has broken a finger nail again, lol We have Sam Cane playing with a broken neck, SA produces a different breed of player these days so we shouldn't be surprised I guess. Seriously though, Etzabeth always seems to get injured. He plays very well for a while but....

Jun 03, 2019, 04:32

Lol@justwin I’ve missed your humour :D

Sam Cane has been an inspiration since his return.  Ardie is probably thinking ‘I hope they kept my spot warm on the bench.’

Jun 03, 2019, 06:58

Nah Cloudy, it'll be Cane at 6 & Savea at 7 ............. welcome back JW.

Jun 03, 2019, 09:16

Now there's the spirit, welcome back JW.......now to see Wardad on deck.

Jun 03, 2019, 10:53

Welcome back JW. You'll notice our ref's have been part of the efforts to facilitate your return. Glad their hard work and self sacrifice wasn't in vain ;)

Haha Shark 

That picture though. A bit like Tori Spelling and Dennis Rodman!

Bruno's self defense class with the dildos was ridiculously hilarious. I stopped that movie multiple times just to relax the laugh muscles in my head.  

Jun 03, 2019, 11:09

Sadly an abiding memory of Etzebeth will be him, eyes blazing, snarling at an opponent.

Jun 03, 2019, 11:12

So oaks did Beeno drive JW away from the board. What is the answer to dense denise's despicable charge?

As to Etzebeth, the world's premier lock, the kbbs are terrified of the guy. Cane playing with a broken neck is either a lie or monumental stupidity

Some may recall how Steph Du Toit was claimed to be injury prone. How has that worked out. Hahahahahahahahaha. Now the best 7 in world rugby.

Oaks take it from Beeno, the first two names for the Bok tight five are Etzebeth and Marx. You need to be a total bonehead to not understand that

Oaks must say one always worries when ignorant oaks get it all so profoundly wrong. Think about some rugby fan looking for a good rugby website to join and he comes across this absurd nonsense about Etzebeth!! They will not tarry long.:'(

Jun 03, 2019, 11:19

Dr Win nice to hear from you again and with your funnies...hahahaha ,.. with a broken fingernail he'll struggle to claw back into the side...lol

Jun 03, 2019, 12:47

Lol Seb, you scraped the barrel for that one.

Beeno, even Moz is a fan of PSDT. He took a page out of Mostert's book and has been playing with the heart we wanna see.

We agree to disagree on Eben. I'd like nothing more than for him to return to form and it's likely i don't know enough about his position. But i do notice how others playing in his position positively affect games. 

Eben seems to vanish. his fans call it behind the scenes engine room work and the rest of us are either too blind to blind to see it or too used to modern locks doing more noticeable work. 

Either way, it has to be noted that Eben has consistently been the spear head of some very unsuccessful teams. No?

Jun 03, 2019, 13:23

So the question remains. Was dense denise's scurrilous charge about my driving JW from the board true.

Let's get to the bottom of this. 

Jun 03, 2019, 13:34

Haha Beeno I think you flatter yourself that you had that much of an effect on our dear justwin.  He left because I left and returned because I returned...Cloudy doing her best to clear up the mystery hope that helps and you don’t need your meds :P

Jun 03, 2019, 13:41

Blobbok....that’s not a bad idea :)

Jun 03, 2019, 18:06

To me it looks like Etzabeth is too musclebound (perhaps enhanced by chemicals) but it may simply be that he needs to get a better pedicure.:P

There is a rumor that I left the board in search of Cloudy & while this makes complete sense I will neither confirm or deny this, as Seb knows a gentleman never talks, lol

I have been absent because I have been enjoying life greatly & never seemed to find the time to be here.

Jun 04, 2019, 06:39

You people do know that Shark did some tampering with the nature of the incident??

Jun 04, 2019, 08:52

I am not interested in doing a performance evaluation of the injury machine any longer.   How many matches did Etzebeth played in this Super Rugby season?   I think it was just about 25% of all matches played.   

For the res he was recovering from injuries,  

He entered into a contract with Toulon I believe -  but with such a record they would try and unload him within the first year,      

Jun 04, 2019, 09:48

Ou maaaikie your take on Etzebeth is very poor. I suspect it's because Moz supports Etzebeth. Mozart Derangement syndrome. Hahahaha. 

Plum, a normally sane voice, has lost his marbles on the matter 

More importantly than the above where is dense Denise abject apology for saying JW left the board because of me. Outrageous stuff from the nutjob! 

Jun 04, 2019, 10:21

"Plum, a normally sane voice, has lost his marbles on the matter"

It's likely that is true.

The problem is, nobody ever lays it out clearly for me.

Thus far, all i've gotten is that he is strong, teams fear him and he does work behind the scenes.

Cumon Beeno help a brother out and give me a breakdown of the nuances that i'm missing.

As i said, i'm happy to admit that i don't know everything about lock play.

Actually it would be great if you could give me things to look out for, outside of the obvious calling of lineouts, holing up of ball carriers and defense. 

In all honesty, i've kind of hit a wall at and it be nice to improve my understanding a bit.

Jun 04, 2019, 10:44

I'm sure there are some overseas-based posters who must be wondering how a broken fingernail can force a rugby player off the rugby field. Please note that Abby Elizabeth is from Cape Town and in Cape Town, a broken fingernail can be a very big deal.

For Abby Elizabeth, chipping the nail polish on one of his fingernails could be the difference between spending the night in the arms of some bull-fag shirtlifter from the Cape Flats or spending the night all alone feeling sorry for himself.

Either way, the chipped fingernail saga is not a disaster for the Hapless Stompies as they're actually a lot better off without this overrated and wildly hyped-up plodder lumbering around the field having zero impact other than trying to look tough and angry.

Go Sunwolves!

PS Nice to see you back, JW!

Jun 04, 2019, 10:52

Plum please note the dumbass rooitwit doesn't rate Eben. Surely that must give you pause to think. 

Eben has every attribute of a great lock. The Sharks would sign him up in a flash if they could. 

Poor rooitwit as usual is consumed with jealously. He thinks Eben is too rough, he hated Schalk for the same reason. :D

Jun 04, 2019, 12:14

Ok, maybe it's best to open up the question to everyone...

Here's what i think i know.

Eben...

Main attributes

4s need to be good jumpers - check

4s need to be tall and pumped - check

4s need to support 1 & 2 at scrum time - check

4s need to  combine well with 5s - big maybe

4s need to support attacking play - for me, he doesn't

4s need to make tackles at high rate and success - rate = no / success = above average

Bonus attributes

4s need to make momentum shifting plays - rare, very rare

4s need to boss the opposition - when you read this one, did you see flaring nostrils...exactly

4s need to have some pace and break the line to set up backs - also rare

4s need good off-load ability for continuity of momentum - average to bad

I'd like to see a side by side comparison of Snyman and Eben's stats as relates to some of the more defined points above.

The reason being that if they're comparable, well then here you go...  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN3bB-_SPNo

One can't help but be in awe of this guy! 

The 24 year old genius caveman! The music is so epic.

Jun 05, 2019, 01:37

Plum

I would put Wiese into the above comparison as well.    I do not think that we have a good 4 at present - please note that when Ettzebeth was out -  Meyer moved Du Toit to 4 and not Snyman.   Fact is Snyman's test performances was not up to standard,   

My problem with Etzebeth is not his performance in the few games he played - where you identified some obvious problems - but his constant injuries and lack of contribution when he does play.   I cannot identify any substantial contributions he made when he did play  -  that is my problem with him.      

Jun 05, 2019, 01:45

Eztebeth is the new Pierre Spies. 

Both were excellent in their younger years but declined over time. 

Became less and less consistent each year.  Both became more involved after the ref blows his whistle, and they get into the camera limelight. 

Spies retired from the game at 30-31 years old, which is pretty young especially for club rugby. No professional team wanted him.

I think Eztebeth is going to be another Julian Savea at Toulon, and the owner of the club is going to dump him with the Kings after one season. 

Jun 05, 2019, 06:21

From what I read, he broke his hand...thought everyone knew the fingernail thing was in jest...appears not.

Plum, his chronic injuries is a worry and is starting to affect his play. He has rarely played with free abandon in the last 3 years.

Jun 05, 2019, 08:52

Cool

So what should happen?

1) He is ignored for Bok selection until he can run out in form and uninjured for a few months, or...

2) He gets automatically selected regardless?

Mike? 

Snyman was in 19 when Meyer was coach. Did you mean to say Rassie?

Also...Snyman only has a handful of test caps. 

Jun 05, 2019, 09:51

Etzebeth is the new Pierre Spies opines the hilarious Sharktwit!!! :D

Some facts about the world's best lock. 

He is in his prime - 27 years old. 123 kg and 2.04 meters tall. He is a great athlete, fast and a superb line out forward. He is the number 1 enforcer and has definite leadership qualities.

He and Marx are the first two tight forwards one selects for the RWC. 

Anybody thinking otherwise is as daft as a hatter and lacking in rugby acumen!

I mentioned how Steph had a series of injuries. It happens oaks, just bad luck. Please wise up its embarrassing when the oaks go so far wrong. :'(

Jun 05, 2019, 09:54

How embarrassing for all the funny oaks having a go at Etzebeth regarding the finger nail when it turns out to be  broken hand. Doubtless the apologies will flow. LMAO 

Jun 05, 2019, 09:59

Didn't take my good friend JW to step in it very quickly. Hahhahahaha.

Seems ou JW got it hopelessly wrong! :D

Jun 05, 2019, 10:04

Beens

Hopefully Eben returns to form and is injury free for as long as is possible. 

Just so you know, i have no bias against him. 

So many others have been outperforming him and it's probably how he responds that will determine what happens in future. 

Problem is, Snyman is just not slowing down and my feeling is that we've yet to see the best of him. Mike's lad Wiese is also looking very good. 

It's tricky because one can't ignore them on hope.

Jun 05, 2019, 10:09

Beeno

Don't be like the Mozart nitwit and dishonest to boot.

Fact is that some players mature early and then start to go sour,   SB mentioned  Spies - but the most famous disaster is Fat Fransie Steyn,

One would not like to see Etzebeh falling into that trap,   However, proof that he is not is to be provided in games actually played - but those are barely minimal as he rarely plays in matches for the past year,   In the few matches he did play in he was barely average,    So nothing has been proven the past year,  

Sincerely hope he gets out of the situation though..

Jun 05, 2019, 10:10

Plum to say Eben is not playing well and not contributing is BS. 

For some if a lock doesn't make a 50 meter dash he is all washed up. They look for the flash. 

There are even some who think a lock playing in the backline and selling a dummy represents the epitome of lock forward play. Wee matfiled comes to mind. These people have in fact been sold a dummy! :D

Jun 05, 2019, 10:19

As long as they're not sold a Duminy...because that's truly terrible.

Jun 05, 2019, 12:03

Diversion from the factual situation will not help.

Jun 05, 2019, 12:03

Diversion from the factual situation will not help.

Jun 05, 2019, 12:23

Ou maiaiaikie justas your politics is thriving your rugby posts hit rock bottom with this Eben BS. Please wise up ou maiaiaikie if you stop and think a little rather than trying to take the opposite position to Dr Moz you could do much better.

Thanks

Jun 05, 2019, 14:27

Notice how  posters so easily slide into "hero worship" mode Plum, the highly self esteemed Beeno being a prime example:P The more mature posters such as Mozart and I take a logical & scientific approach, I'm glad you have joined us in that regard Plum.:angel:

Jun 05, 2019, 14:32

JW let hope your science and reason allows you to understand the difference between a broken nail and a broken hand. Bwahahhahahahahahahahaha.

Jun 05, 2019, 15:33

Beeno, the gleam of your Noddy medal must be blinding you to the truth (yes we acknowledge that you are the only poster on this board to receive said medal from Ed... what an honor it must be:ermm:). 

Certainly Etzebeth has size, speed & coordination but sadly he is a wimp. Typically he has a few spectacular games, engages in a bit of push & shove & then fixes his amphetamine induced glare on a few players only to trot off the field for his pedicure appointment.

Jun 05, 2019, 16:27

So JW you still don't know the difference between a split nail and a broken hand. 

Time for an abject retraction of your Eben BS. Go and ask ya pal Big Ears to explain. 

Hahahahaha JW crunched! 

Jun 05, 2019, 16:35

Beeno

Don't be a bloody fool and read what I wrote.   I have no problem with Etzebeth - but he has hardly played any rugby for more than 6 months and when he did play he was not a house on fire,.    I differ from Mozart on a number of issues - but totally oppose him when it comes to  reputation selections and without game time Etzebeth is a reputation selection at this stage.

With a broken hand he will not play in the Rugby Championship as well,,  So he has zero to proof anything for a year by the time the WC starts,         

Jun 05, 2019, 16:53

‘For some if a lock doesn't make a 50 meter dash he is all washed up’

Well Beeno not only did Retallick make a 50m dash he actually scored.  Of course it’s never expected but when it happens it’s quite glorious don’t ya think??

Jun 05, 2019, 17:38

Ou maaaikie whether Eben has played or not if he is fit he gets selected. You BS about him not performing recently is absurd. 

Cloudy it was a staged to make  retardlick look good. The like the Red sea parting so it was with retardlick. 

Bet retardlick hopes Eben doesn't get selected. Hahahaha. 

Jun 05, 2019, 17:51

Plum, all players coming back from extended injuries should first start for their franchises or get phased into action from the bench. I wasn't happy that Eben walked into the starting lineup without any prior game time last year. He did great, but it is always the wrong thing to do.

Snyman is a 5 and is not competing with Eben. Stop confusing 5 with 4's. They did it with Bekker too and it messed up his test career....less tricky than swapping 1 and 3, but there is a reason why players specialize in positions and physicality/athleticism is only part of it.

Jun 05, 2019, 18:31

He plays 4 and 5 Draad

Jun 05, 2019, 18:37

He plays 4 to accommodate Lood sometimes...IMO he is a 5...but I might be wrong. I haven't seen enough of him at 4..he has the size, but there is more to it.

Jun 05, 2019, 20:51

Beeno, one man’s broken finger nail is another man’s broken hand. Look at the Mighty McCaw who played the RWC on a broken foot or the legendary All Black who played while enduring a dangling testicle. What would the Bok greats of past years say about the current bok? The language would be too rich for even this board. Even wee cc would shudder, lol

Jun 05, 2019, 21:46

JW you lack any common sense. The RWC is only months away. Why not get your star lock fully fit and go and win the RWC!

You getting a glimmer JW? :'(

JW obfuscation about a broken nail and broken hand. What tricky kiwi! Or so he thinks. 

Jun 05, 2019, 23:35

Total nonsense....only in South Africa....Etzebeth is the second name on the team sheet after Marx.

Jun 06, 2019, 01:37

"was" the 2nd name on the team sheet. Now is the first name on the stretcher sheet being carted off the field.

With the depth of SA resources at lock, he can no longer command a starting position given his lack of consistent form. 

Arnold Botha used to warm the stretcher, but nowadays it is Eztebeth. 

Jun 06, 2019, 02:22

Etzebeth remains the highest ranked South African lock in the state of the art RPI Index.....Snyman is second, ranked well above popsies like Pieter Steff du Toit.

Injuries are a concern, but there is no other number 4 lock even close. We have plenty of good locks, but only 2 who can outcompete the best.

Jun 06, 2019, 08:30

Well I'm still waiting for someone/anyone to lay out clearly what is required from a 4 in their book and why Eben is still the over all best across those criteria.

I made a decent go of it above but I'm sure there are a few finer points that I missed.

Also, if he is able to boss test sides, then bossing SR sides should happen more frequently. It just doesn't seem to happen.

I'll ask again. Put me out of my mystery and show me what I'm missing.

Any takers?

Jun 06, 2019, 14:01

Wehe . . . Abby Elizabeth broke his hand yet he's named in the side a few days later?

LMAO!

I wonder how many of the stupid and gullible Stompie Blowhards will man up and admit they were wrong?

Jun 06, 2019, 17:49

I only hope that nobody is putting the world's premier lock in jeopardy. We need to be sure he is ready for the world cup. 

Let's not do anything stupid ala nz. What Ebens hand is like one wonders after l the various reports. 

Some oaks here want a detailed explanation as to why Etzebeth is so good. If you are so blind and oblivious to reality I for one won't waste my time. 

Frot guppy supporters sharktwit and rooitwit hate WP/STORMERS and of course Eben. Talk about TDS we now have SDS. HAHAHAHAHA

Plumpie you are in very bad company. Next time Eben plays watch what he does. 

Jun 06, 2019, 19:51

So Plum I read your attributes.....Etzebeth literally gassed Ben Smith a few years back. He is more than fast enough, but you wont find him on the left wing....he is doing the nasty work which fans never see in the rucks and mauls. He is not just good at lineouts and kickoffs which you ommitted, he is flawless.

But don't take my word for it:

Etzebeth 44 runs....221 metres...1 linebreak....13 defenders beaten...24 passes....tackles made 48....tackles missed 2.....lineouts won 24.....taken on opposition throw 1.

Stephanie....95 runs ....466 metres....1 linebreak....18 defenders beaten.....45 passes....tackles made 126.....tackles missed 18....lineouts won....37.....on opposition throw 0.

So just taking those two. Stephanie who is seen as highly productive as a runner....Etzebeth who isn't. Etzebeth makes the same metres per run, beats more defenders per run and passes more per run. He makes less tackles but at a 96% success rate vs Stephanie at an 86% success rate.

And viewing these stats it's important to note Stephanie played 80% more time.

So there you have it the player that is criticized for being unproductive.......actually being more productive in breaching the defence , in secure tackling and in lineout play.....than the player Fake Media are all over as the paragon of productivity.

Stick with moz for the real scoop.

Jun 06, 2019, 20:14

Jun 06, 2019, 14:01

Wehe . . . Abby Elizabeth broke his hand yet he's named in the side a few days later?

LMAO!

I wonder how many of the stupid and gullible Stompie Blowhards will man up and admit they were wrong?

OK, he did not break his hand...it was a suspected fracture...are you implying it was indeed a broken nail? Or should they have x-rayed him on the sideline to make sure it is or isn't a fracture before deciding if he should play on? Are you really this childish, or can't you think past your prejudice?

Jun 06, 2019, 20:23

Well said Dr Moz, hoping that Plum will see things more clearly now.

The answers to your questions about rooitwit is YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!

Jun 06, 2019, 20:40

"I wonder how many of the stupid and gullible Stompie Blowhards will man up and admit they were wrong?"

So far, zero.

"How dare they say our darling Abby Elizabeth only chipped a fingernail . . . he broke his whole hand! Poor Abby. Sniff. Blubber. I just wish I could hold him in my arms and make his poor broken hand all better. Ooooh I'm in a toestand just thinking about Eben! Squeal! And the naughty people are saying . . . what? It wasn't broken after all? Are you quite sure? Oh dear . . . how will we blowhards spin this embarrassing turn of events . . . I know, it was a fracture and Abby was sooo brave . . . sigh . . . Eben . . . oh Eben . . . "

LMAO!

Jun 06, 2019, 20:40

I asked 4 questions Beenz?:D

Jun 06, 2019, 20:44

"Etzebeth literally gassed Ben Smith a few years back."

"Literally?"

So Moffie, should Eben go to jail or do you really not know what "literally" means?

LMAO! 

Jun 06, 2019, 21:07

?

Jun 06, 2019, 21:14

I'm guessing Draadtrekker doesn't know what the word "literally" means either.

Google is your friend.

Jun 06, 2019, 21:40

The Crowd called Rooinek arrives and wants to be educated......here you are from Merriam Webster:

Literally:

B- used to emphasize the truth and accuracy of a statement or description

//The party was attended by literally hundreds of people.

Jun 06, 2019, 21:49

But of course Urinal Peeper is arguing that even in this rugby context, we would have to take 'literally gassed' in a Nazi camp context and not a Stransky context.

What he misses is literally used this way is an emphasis, as explained by Webster. Nobody who is not part of the Crowd would be confused....or think that 'gassed' is not a legitimate usage in a rugby context.

The Crowd is educated again.

Jun 06, 2019, 21:58

Moffie, one of the following statements is true:

a) You're a rather stupid and uneducated dullard who uses words that he doesn't understand to try and make himself appear less stupid.

Or . . .

b) You condone homicide . . . specifically by gassing.

One of those two statements is true. Which one is it?

Jun 06, 2019, 22:06

Okay Peeper, let's play your silly pedantic game.....I'm obviously not stupid and I have you by 30 IQ points. So it has to be b). So show me where in my statement I'm condoning homicide by gassing....the floor is your's.

But if you can't, do apologize for wasting our time.

Jun 06, 2019, 22:15

"Etzebeth literally gassed Ben Smith a few years back."

If you'd said that Abby Elizabeth ran faster then Ben Smith a few years ago then that's one thing . . . I'd just have a quiet chuckle at your rugby noob take that a lumbering plodding lock was actually faster than one of the all-time great fullbacks . . . but when you say he "literally" gassed him, I have to assume the literal use of the word and conclude that he actually "gassed" Ben Smith . . . and any intelligent person would know what the literal meaning of "gassing" someone means. 

If you're not one of those intelligent people then just say so and I''ll explain further.

Jun 06, 2019, 22:21

Hahahahahahaha......how feeble is that......contradicted immediately by your own understanding I was saying Etzebeth was faster than Smith. I was using 'gassed' as a rugby verb.....in common usage and literally as an emphasis per Webster.

Enjoy your crow..

Jun 06, 2019, 22:29

Hang on, you didn't say Etzebeth was faster than Ben Smith . . . don't be a liar now as well as a fool . . . you said "Etzebeth literally gassed Ben Smith " and for some bizarre reason you chose to include the word "literally" . . . which brings us back to the point that you're trying very hard to dodge . . . you're either a fool who doesn't understand what the word "literally" means or else you condone the act of "gassing" someone.

Now you can you sputter and duck and dodge as you are doing, but the only people you're fooling are your stupid Gimps who also don't understand the concept of "literal" as opposed to "figurative".

I don't expect you to admit that you blundered and got egg all over your stupid fat face again . . . but I do know the difference between "literal" and "figurative' and if you have me by the 30 IQ points you claim, you'd concede that.

I suspect a) was the correct answer.

Jun 06, 2019, 22:32

'I don;t (sic) expect you to admit'....hahahahaha. And he corrects his mistake......this is getting funnier by the minute.

Jun 06, 2019, 22:39

Is that honestly your best response Moffie? A " : " instead of a " ' " so nyaah nyaah nyaah?

LMAO!

I rest my case.

Jun 06, 2019, 22:41

Draad your ? remains unanswered. It now appears the Crowd called Peeper has never understood the use of 'literally' as an emphasis.

Jun 06, 2019, 22:41

Rooitwit is of an unsound mind. He lacks common sense and judgment and consequently gets things wrong time and again. Hilarious really! :D

Eben a plodder Bwhahahahaha 

Jun 06, 2019, 22:43

No, the Crowd simply knows what the word "literally" means.

That's all. Nothing more.

Jun 06, 2019, 22:47

All based on the theory that in rugby context when one says A gassed B, the average reader would conclude Player A took Player B and stuck his head in a gas oven,.....rather than Player A beat Player B for pace.

Should we put it to a vote?

Jun 06, 2019, 22:56

"All based on the theory that in rugby context when one says A gassed B, the average reader would conclude Player A took Player B . . . "

Fair enough but when one says A "literally" gassed B then it's something different . . . unless of course you're a rather stupid and uneducated dullard who uses words he doesn't understand to try and make himself appear less stupid . . . which is really just a) in the options listed above.

LMAO!

Game, set and match!

Jun 06, 2019, 23:03

Only if the only meaning of 'gassed' is asphyxiation.......in a rugby context 'gassed' means beating a player with pace. 'Literally gassed' emphasizes that fact. There are no mysteries here, only deliberate misunderstanding of the interpretation clearly explained by Webster.

Should we put it to a vote?

Jun 06, 2019, 23:08

Moz

Should have said so but "jumps well" included lineout and kick offs. My bad.

Nice, well those stats do tell something of a tale.

How do the last two years worth of stats look?

It's a reasonable question to ask when reputation selection is the accusation.

Up to about two years ago most didn't really question Eben. 

I'm gonna guess that his decline in support is matched by a decline in stats.

Jun 07, 2019, 01:54

Etzebeth has had a lot of injuries, was named Bok captain in 2017 and then replaced in that role for political reasons.....has a WC, the pinnacle of his career ahead. He is playing for a team with no hope of Super success.

Even the Rugby Cup is a half hearted affair in a WC year. Would it be surprising if he was a bit protective?

Why is it that South African fans demand 100% effort from every crucial Springbok like Marx, Vermeulen and Etzebeth in a series of meaningless games?

It's as stupid as rejecting ABs availability for the CWC. We remain the masters of dumb?

Jun 07, 2019, 08:26

I guess it's different for forwards.

One could probably expect closer to full performance from backs in SR.

Moz, Rassie and Swys look like they know how to plan for big games.

We'll do better at the wc than most expect us to.

As always, team selection is what will make the difference. 

Jun 07, 2019, 09:48

Rooinek, the above was literally the most childish and stupid argument by an adult that I have ever seen. A few years ago I enjoyed your wit, but these pedantic little arguments over nothing are getting real stale.

Jun 07, 2019, 20:29

My guess is I caught Peeper in his cups....but I agree, that was really dumb.

Jun 07, 2019, 21:18

Mozart

If you want to use stats  do not invent your own stats like line-outs on opposition throw and lie about it.   Du Toit has taken plenty opposition throw-ins and the last one you lied about and when caught out you suddenly  turned to your normal BS.

I did not query Etzebeth's abilities - I did wrote about his rare game time due to injuries and his rather average performances when he did play.   He was rarely available to play for near to two years so it may not be surprising to see his lack of performance. in his latest games.

Your constant harping about Du Toit is sickening - is it not time for you to grow up and start being objective about player performances?    At tis stage you are a harpy.    

Jun 08, 2019, 01:04

Maaik, when you started supporting PSDT, he was injured much more regularly than Eben is now.

Jun 26, 2019, 00:16

When is Elizabeth back? 

Jun 26, 2019, 00:52

No Tokkie......the 'last one' is settled science. The oppo jumper never got the call, and never even left his feet. The ball landed in Stephanie's bread basket, also without him leaving his feet.

If you want to call that a lineout...er...take on oppo throw be my guest. Hell Stephanie has enough difficulty securing ball on his own throw.

Jun 26, 2019, 11:00

Sickening - this from the guy who wrote injury reports om virtually a weekly basis iro some players even though they were not injured,

We do have locks to burn and I am sure Snyman will get into the squad.  My problem is with Etzebeth who had vey little game time this year,   Hope Etzebeth gets it right.   I think the locks will be Etzebeth, Snyman and De Jager.     

Jun 26, 2019, 11:16

Plum, thanks for the YouTube reference.

Most impressive performance by Snyman. I am hooked.

You need to Log in to reply.