Fabulous Quinn’s/Montpellier game, with…

Forum » Rugby » Fabulous Quinn’s/Montpellier game, with…

Apr 17, 2022, 19:05

….one of the all time great tries. Brilliant Care penalty take, keeping it infield…an all time break by Smith and a perfect finish. The difference between Pollard on the crash and Smith’s ability to breach the defence was clear in this game. And then after one of the best flyhalf performances in recent big games which kept Quins in the hunt, Smith misses the simple kick and Quins are out. What an anti climax!

Apr 18, 2022, 00:23

Smith is not fit to polish Pollards boots

Handy player but certainly no Pollard - never will be

A defensive liability with a good rugby touch

Apr 18, 2022, 01:29

Actually I have  always been a Pollard fan and he is probably the safer test choice. But he has been ruined by Harrassmiss and there are few glimpses of the earlier attacking player. He is probably a better defender than Smith, but not great defensively.

But it all hinges on the type of rugby one likes…you like stodgy Stampkar rugby, I prefer backs that create space.

Apr 18, 2022, 10:38

I’m all for the Bok style where we scored more tries, beat more defenders and made more line breaks than any other side in the WC

As for Pollard defensively he is probably the best defending 10 in the game, is great at taking it up flat and has a great all round game.

Smith on the other hand has to be hidden on the field defensively, has a good touch and ability to put players into space - all things Pollard has as well

Smith is another Jantjies - plenty of flair and good instincts but physically brittle just like Ford for England and Bosch for the Sharks

Apr 18, 2022, 15:46

No….Smith is a far more instinctual player. His passing is leagues above Pollard. He is more dangerous on the run because he sees the opportunity.  

Pollard is much more physical, better but still not good defensively. He regularly has a high missed tackle ratio. But he makes the crucial kicks, something I think is going to haunt Smith unless he tightens up his technique. He reminds me of the early Monty with all that movement at impact.

Smith is a delight to watch, Pollard is a fine player, but hardly interesting.

Apr 18, 2022, 16:58

R&N needs to add more dimensions to there Game plan....yes it did work, but top tier sides has caught on as seen at the end of 21... If we don't bring more attack structure to our backline, using all the ball possession we have so much off, we will get beaten.... Pollard is a top fyhalf and his natural instinct is to attack...adapt your game plan to accommodate the natural talents of our players instead off forcing the game plan on them....give them more freedom to attack instead off kicking and hoping for chances they should be creating there own space and opportunities to score.

Apr 18, 2022, 21:35

Couldn’t agree with you more.

Apr 19, 2022, 17:40

Great game, didn't know who to shout for as both teams has some quality SA players. But, in the end I decided not to go for Harlequins because of Smith. But really funny that he missed a sitter and cost his team a spot in the quarters. So funny

But I  also end up going for the team with the  most SA players. 

Apr 19, 2022, 23:44

You don’t like/rate Smith?

Apr 20, 2022, 11:34

No, smith is a quality player and highly rated, just not my type of player attitude wise, reminds a bit of a young Quade Cooper and O'Connor. Very big egos, but this kid can turn a game on his.  Very skilful and has got great feet, his passing is superb and normally his kicking is spot on. 

Its just that he is English, but if you asked me who I have in my team between him or Robert Dupreez, I would have to swallow my resentment and pick him. 

Apr 20, 2022, 21:18

Pollard is better than Smith in every respect, especially with ball in hand making breaks and defensively he is far far superior

Smith’s strength is creating for others much like Jantjies, Russell or Cooper

He is a good player but nowhere near as good as Pollard

Apr 21, 2022, 14:07

Ja, have to agree Saffex on Smith. Jack in a box but probably going MIA when you direct a lot of play in his channel, but he is agile and fast enough to get around big defenders. Although, probably helps  if you have a guy like Esterhuizen taking the heat off you

You need to Log in to reply.