Former Springbok, Bulls loose forward Pedrie Wannenburg dies in car accident in US

Forum » Rugby » Former Springbok, Bulls loose forward Pedrie Wannenburg dies in car accident in US

Apr 23, 2022, 09:56

Cape Town - Former Springbok and Bulls loose forward Pedrie Wannenburg has died following a car accident in the United States on Friday.

He was 41-years-old at the time of his death in Harris County, Houston in the state of Texas, where he was a rugby coach for Austin Elite in the North American Major League Rugby competition.

Blue Bulls Rugby Union president Willem Strauss sent a WhatsApp broadcast message early on Saturday morning, which stated: "RIP Pedrie Wannenburg," along with a photo of the player in action for the Bulls.

US website Khou.com reported that Wannenburg's wife Evette and their daughter were unhurt, but that their son was undergoing surgery after being flown to hospital.

Former Golden Lions coach Eugene Eloff posted on Facebook: "I am shattered.. have no words. Just heard that my friend Pedrie Wannenburg passed away in a car accident. His family was in the car with him.

"Devastating news RIP wonderful man..

“You will be missed so much. My heart goes out to Evett and the kids. Keeping you in my heart and prayers.”

The Khou.com website reported that Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said that there was a high-speed chase of a vehicle, where a suspected teenaged driver had refused to pull over for police.

"The chase started at about 5.45pm at Greenhouse Road and West Little York. Investigators said a deputy attempted to pull the teenagers over, for reasons unknown, but the driver sped off and led the deputy on a chase that reached speeds over 100mph," the website reported.

"The chase ended near the intersection of Greenhouse Road and Kieth Harrow Boulevard. Deputies said the suspect crashed into the back of the father's vehicle (Wannenburg) and went airborne. The suspect's vehicle then crashed into a second vehicle with multiple people inside.”

Wannenburg retired from playing in 2018 after an illustrious career with the Bulls in particular, where he won multiple Super Rugby and Currie Cup titles between 2001 and 2010.

He played in 20 Test matches for the Springboks between 2002 and 2007, and began coaching at Austin Elite in 2019 after finishing his playing career there too.

############################

So young, so sad.....RIP Pedrie

Apr 23, 2022, 10:16

RIP...so sad...hope his boy will be OK...bizarre circumstances...

Apr 23, 2022, 16:29

Very sad... condolences to his family and friends.

Apr 23, 2022, 16:58

These US  car chases are extremely dangerous to innocent bystanders. What a terrible shame for Wannenburg  and his family. Surely there is a better way to apprehend these suspects, by setting up road blocks for example.

When we first arrived in the US, we were in a long queue outside the  Brooklyn Museum waiting to see a traveling  Van Gogh  exhibition. Blaring sirens announced a nearby car chase and around the corner came the pursued vehicle, side swiping two or three parked cars as it came round the corner. But it could just as easily have ploughed into the crowd. A train of police cars were in pursuit.

One wonders if the supposed crime is in most cases severe enough to put innocent lives at risk. Thanks for the memories Pedrie.

Apr 24, 2022, 01:12

Mozart

I saw in a report on Fox News that due to the latest policies the Police do not investigate driving offences anymore and that as a result deaths on US roads have increased.   So the car chase in this case must have been serious.

Anyway the case here is a real tragedy for the family and my sympathy goes out to them.      

Apr 24, 2022, 13:33

This shit makes me seriously pissed off! An innocent law-abiding person suffers. I hope the suspect is dead and if he isn't I hope he is sorted out appropriately. It's time we start bringing in heavy punishment for this shit. The officer should have just headshot the suspect as soon as he drove off. As for drink drivers as well... death penalty. We are too fucking soft of these scumbags!! 

Apr 24, 2022, 15:01

Terribly sad news. Having seen the photos of the aftermath, it’s a miracle anyone survived. 

Apr 24, 2022, 18:00

"This shit makes me seriously pissed off! An innocent law-abiding person suffers. I hope the suspect is dead and if he isn't I hope he is sorted out appropriately. It's time we start bringing in heavy punishment for this shit. The officer should have just headshot the suspect as soon as he drove off. As for drink drivers as well... death penalty. We are too fucking soft of these scumbags!"

Careful now, you're starting to sound like a right wing extremist...

Apr 25, 2022, 23:07

Unfortunately with the Demorats, BLM and all the other anti American people roaming around law and order is of no importance.

Sadly only when it is someone we know, family or friends who suffer from this lawlessness do we comment.

Rest in peace Pedrie.

You need to Log in to reply.