Gelant is Willie on steroids

Forum » Rugby » Gelant is Willie on steroids

Apr 22, 2022, 22:09

Fuck me he is good - his ability to create and set people up is simply sublime - the Boks simply can’t ignore him, nor can they Evan Roos at 8 - this kid is Skinstad with muscle.

Willemse is looking very good at 12

Apr 22, 2022, 22:24

Agreed they have to select them and so many others to.

Apr 23, 2022, 05:57

Sep 19, 2021, 02:08

Give Willemse a chance at 12….he is a better defender, kicker and runner than Dud.

Apr 23, 2022, 10:13

Willemse looks to be maturing a bit...he was MOTM last night...started at 15 and moved to 12 when Gelant came on off the bench...was good on defence and attack...made a try or two.

De Alende had a good match too...(Munster beating Ulster at home was no small feat), but they are 2 totally different players...there will always be a place for players like DdA although they're never as much fun to watch as a center slipping through the defense with "flair"...

Apr 23, 2022, 15:42

Gelant may leapfrog Willie Leroux, who has not been in top form for ages, or is arguably already past his best.

Fassi is not getting enough game time for the Boks, and if he does not start this year it may be too late assuming no injuries to Leroux or Gelant. 

Putting Kolbe at fullback is also an option because he has a good kicking game as well. He is excellent under the high ball, and arguably the best counter-attacking player in the world. 

Frans Steyn even in the body of a retired prop forward is still an option at fullback with his monster boot 

Willemse should stick to playing number 12. He makes fewer mistakes than when he is at flyhalf or fullback. His passing and playmaking ability at 12 is test level, where as no so at flyhalf and fullback.

Apr 23, 2022, 16:27

Yes willemse is doing well and deserves a shot at 12....the way he finds space and defence is test quality.....for example the way he set up ruan nel for his try speaks volumes....he offers more than DA and gelant on fullback is a far better option than Willie.

Apr 24, 2022, 23:06

Heaven help us if old man Frans was our starting fullback - what an insult that would be to Willie, Gelant, Fassi and Willemse

Willemse is not better than DA on attack or defensively - what utter shit

What Willemse is, is a handy back up to DA at 12 and the obvious utility choice for the Bok bench to replace old man Frans with immediate effect

Gelant is ahead of the competition to replace Willie at 15 when the time is right which given his form right now could be immediately.

Right now I think Gelant could be the most creative player in the game. He has taken the art of summing up creative opportunities to another level, with Willemse not too far behind him in this department. That pause, summing up and then execution is something to behold. Some sublime offloads thrown in the mix

I’d start Gelant at 15 with Willemse on the bench ahead of Frans

Apr 25, 2022, 04:49

I guess if you are as slow as a carthorse, you have to be creative…..still Gelant as the most creative player in the game is hilarious.

Apr 25, 2022, 10:13

You obviously as per usual have not been watching him play

Name a more creative player right now

Apr 25, 2022, 11:33

This guy always had talent, but this season he has stepped up another level. Hope we can keep him in SA for another season before the WC. 

I'm glad  to see he is putting less boot on the ball with his grubbers and trusting his players more. That was my only annoyance with his play. Should be our bok starting 15. 

Fassi has all the attacking skill, but really shaky under defence at the moment and needs to step up in that department or he simply not up to standard for test level. 

We already have Mpimpi who is also a defence liability 

Apr 25, 2022, 12:56

Bullshit re Fassi’s defence - his only real miss was not a one on one miss. He was covering at speed for the cross kick

Fassi is a class act that break of his to create that try was brilliant

We are blessed with some real class in Gelant, Fassi and Willemse and we need all 3 involved with the Boks

Apr 25, 2022, 13:58

Sorry, but he got stepped around very easily and then fell to the ground. Watch from 1:45. 

The player had to slow down and catch the ball, he simply over ran and got caught of position and with a simple side step to get around, there was no use of the touch line or backing his pace to catch the guy. He fucked up on this one

Apr 25, 2022, 13:59

Look, even his feet were planted with his head down, just very poor technique and probably too afraid of contact

Apr 25, 2022, 16:13

I think fassi is a very dangerous runner but his defence does need a tune up.... otherwise he is a guy with the X factor that has the ability to split open any backline.

Apr 25, 2022, 16:13

I think fassi is a very dangerous runner but his defence does need a tune up.... otherwise he is a guy with the X factor that has the ability to split open any backline.

Apr 25, 2022, 16:14

Sorry double post

You need to Log in to reply.