Going forward

Forum » Rugby » Going forward

Nov 08, 2019, 06:54

we could be in for exciting times, the fact that unlike previous times the intellectual property has been retained creating an excellent platform to launch from insofar as consistency, structures and in building a winning culture. For once there's confidence in the Bok future.

Nov 08, 2019, 09:14

Thanks Denny - I agree.

There will obviously be some retirements - we will lose two stalwarts like Vermeulen and Beast -  but I am particularly see who comes through the ranks over the next few years.   I think Chait and Du Plessis are stars in the making - watch out for those two in Super Rugby and sevens over the next year.

Nov 08, 2019, 09:56

Coetzee and Augustus at WP might step up too...and Willemse is yet to deliver on his potential...and Duane hasn't retired yet, has he?

Interesting times ahead!

Nov 08, 2019, 10:08

Draad

Did you watch the Varsity Cup this year - especially the Matie games?   If you did - what do you think of Chait at flyhalf - I was vey impressed by him.   

Nov 08, 2019, 11:42

Maaik, I only watched the last 2 Matie Matches and there were a couple of promising players. Interesting season next year.

Nov 09, 2019, 00:35

I like the look of the stocky Lions wing Stiaan Pienaar who played in their CC side

Also la Grange at 12 and Schoeman at lock

Nov 09, 2019, 02:01

I'm thinking along the lines of the ongoing value in retaining Erasmus as coach rather than starting with a new coach. It is a huge plus and is most uncharacteristic from past saffa history. There is no better platform to launch from.

Nov 09, 2019, 03:13

Denny

I think Rassie as Director of Rugby will iro the test arena be very hands-on,   He has ceveloped a very sound base - but there is also the need to bring in replacements - where he will keep a close watch in identification and development of new talent.   

Erasmus will have a close relationship with the Chief Coach and I am sure will deal with strategic issues together with him - while the practical training and internal organization of the coaching staff will be dealt with by the Chief Coach.   Team selection will be a joint operation between Erasmus and the new Chief Coach - who will come from the present coaching set-up anyway,

Elsewhere somebody wrote something very true - practical experience in the team environment is essential - no team can go into a  WC with a  number of players having less than 10 starting games as Springboks and for instance a center combination with only three tests playing together like happened in 2015.   Players should be fazed in and should have at least  8 starting games and 8  bench games by the time the WC starts in 2023. 

Lets in fact see whether there is any real difference between the scenario at present and what is going to happen in future.     

Nov 09, 2019, 04:44

"no team can go into a  WC with a  number of players having less than 10 starting games as Springboks and for instance a center combination with only three tests playing together like happened in 2015."

Really? But you backed Damian and Kriel after only one test, not only that, but that was your preferred option for the World Cup. Furthermore, Jean was injured, Frans ruled himself out after the deathof his brother on the eve of the World Cup. What other options were there? 

Lastly, how many tests did Frans have at 12 before he replaced Jean? How many tests did he have with Fourie before they stormed the World Cup? You keep finding new ways to fail! :D

With regards to J-Raz, yes, we do have continuity. He has few excuses as all our RC opposition have been weakened by their departures. A perfect opportunity to assert dominance.

Nov 09, 2019, 05:17

Yet Frans did well in the minor games in the 2007 - but did not do so in the play-offs when hs defense was insufficient,   Frans by 2007 was an established test player anyway.  Since then he was used all over the show and ended up being used at full back for his club - the position he started his career in.   

I did not back De Allende and Kriel from the start.  Neither of the two had worthwhile test experience going into the 2015 WC.    

Are you not the one that claimed SH rugby has deteriorated badly and NH rugby is now the norm?  Was it not really the case that SA rugby has improved over the last 18 months and  that led to the WC win?       

Nov 09, 2019, 05:48

Frans was the best 12 in the competition. 

"Frans by 2007 was an established test player anyway."

Frans only came on the scene in the Currie Cup in 2006. He debuted in super rugby in 2007. His test debut was in November 2006, he was a reserve in 2007 until he replaced Jean in our opening World Cup game. He was a fullback and a wing before that. Honestly, you are a far too sloppy and dishonest to be taken seriously. 

Nov 09, 2019, 12:18

Not dishonest - but truthful  and that always is a problem with you.   He never was the best center in 2007 in the competition - there were others much better than him - especially Tait who ran past Steyn like be was absent from the game.

You need to Log in to reply.