Guess what - something personal

Forum » Rugby » Guess what - something personal

Jun 01, 2022, 11:28

I am 80 years old today and decided that from 12:00  today I will not rite anything nasty about anybody on site and will limit my observations to real merit-rated players in both rugby, cricket and  tennis.      

Jun 01, 2022, 11:46

Happy happy B Day Mike.

Hope you have a splendid day.

Jun 01, 2022, 11:49

Happy birthday Oom Mike...now Crudeneck can stop with his "two septuagenarians" nonsense!:D

Jun 01, 2022, 12:13

Happy Birthday Oom Miks. All the best and many more.

Jun 01, 2022, 12:33

Happy Birthday Mike, I hope you have a fantastic day today...

Jun 01, 2022, 12:59

Happy Birthday Mike....what a milestone congrats....my father is 81...have a wonderful Day :) M

Jun 01, 2022, 14:38

Eighty is the new seventy Mike….no need to change. It seems like a good occasion for boerewors and melktert! Congrats.

Jun 01, 2022, 14:41

Happy birthday Mike.

Trust you will be having many more.

Big 80.

Enjoy every day Mike.

Stay strong.

Jun 01, 2022, 14:42

Happy Birthday, Mike :D

Hope you have a lovely day. 

Jun 01, 2022, 14:43

Precisely Moz....and a nice Brandy & Coke Cola....enjoy :)

Jun 01, 2022, 15:14

Good one Mike, well done...still another 20 years before you get a card from the queen, correction the king whoever that might be:D

Jun 01, 2022, 15:19

Good one Mike, well done...still another 20 years before you get a card from the queen, correction the king whoever that might be:D

Jun 01, 2022, 22:17

Fuck me, 80! Well done you crazy son of a bitch. Bet your goal lasts two posts only! Feck it, express yourself man you've earned it! 

Jun 01, 2022, 23:09

Congratulations CleverMike, glad you still have a fighting spirit:)

Jun 02, 2022, 10:50

Happy Birthday Oom.

Jun 05, 2022, 22:43

Best wishes Mike.

Yep, do as Moz suggests, but add sommer a few koeksisters to the nice stuff!!!

Jun 06, 2022, 18:57

Happy Birthday Mike, especially on reaching 80

Jun 11, 2022, 21:10

Wow...looking well Mike....went to watch Oakdale play Paarl Gim today near you..these youngsters

know how to tackle...bone crunching stuff.

Jun 12, 2022, 09:08

Yes happy birthday Mike. Keep off the sugar Mike it's a poison. Glad to see you are still going strong! 

Jun 14, 2022, 07:39

I do limit sugar intake - but I do also have a chocolate bite in between  - am not a diabetic   case yet.    

Jun 14, 2022, 12:58

I would really like to know who our elder statesmen are on here. I think Mozart and Mike be close in age based on the old players they talk about. Saffex, as stated must have just turned 50 even though I would have though he was my age, 43. 

I would also like to know which decade of rugby you enjoyed the most. 

I love rugby from the 90's when super rugby started. But I probably mostly invested in players betwen 2004 and 2014 thanks to playing fantasy rugby. But recently it has been hard to follow the local talent. Fortunately we have Saffex that knows every school boy and who are great players. 

Would be nice to see if we can predict future Springboks. 

I honestly never realised how good Roos was. But in his own words he was over looked by the sharks. 

Manie Libbok has been around for a while but never seemed to have any brains as he is more of an instinctive player and never saw him as a general. 

I also haven't been following how the baby boks has been doing. The last time i had a proper look was when Simalane played but I can't recall any of the other players other than Augustus Groot that got completely outplayed by Wiese on Saturday between Leic and Noh. 

Again, thanks Mike for being on the board and hopefully you and Mozart can burry the hatchet 

Jun 14, 2022, 15:38

Kingccorn

The style of rugby played in SA changed drastically in the late 1980's and early 1990\s.   Before the change there were more a concentration of backline attacking play and forwards in attack came from the loosies  combining wih backline players were  the norm.      One has to think about players like Rob Louw as a tyical example.   Rugby was more spectacular and iteresting.   

After 1990  the quality of rugby played changed  and the loosies ecame n exten sion of the Tight five - why kicking - often inaccurately and ineffectively by the flyhalf as the norm.   That klasted until about 2008 when the rugby laws were changed to make the game more attractive for spectators and encouraging the scoring of tries,

The New Zealanders were quick on the uptake - the  Springboks never did change the way they played until Erasmus became coach.  He went back to combination play as a means of playing effective rugby.    .      

Jun 14, 2022, 17:42

Kingcorn,

I am one year behind CM.

Agree the start of Super rugby was the best period for me.

It was entertaining but like all good things was spoilt by expansion, moving to the                       North rugby section plus the rule changes.

But general interest has dropped as is evident by the posting in the rugby section                          by most bloggers besides me.

Jun 14, 2022, 21:06

Resistance to Change is a bitch...instead of embracing the gracious chance the old Celtic League has givin us, we are hunkering back to the lot that booted us out of SR for weak reasons...we've always been the black sheep in Super Rugby...the lesser partner...

Well, the Celts (and the Italians) have accepted us with open arms... and we give them a slap in the face by complaining about the standard of rugby all the time?  How rude! (BTW, I think the standardof SA rugby has improved in general during the last year)..

It's either URC or wanking by ourselves in CC...like during Apartheid....well, I for one, is thankfull for the opportunity, regardless of the fact that my team is hosting the first international franchise comp final ever...would have been just as pleased about the way the comp went if we lost to Edinburgh...

NZ and Aus kicked us out unilaterally...yes, there were always problems, but the FCN KICKED US OUT!!!...FCK THEM!!!...they should be be begging on their knees before we even consider a return of some sorts in SR...

From my perspective...thank you Ireland, Scotty, Italy....and even Wales, for having us...I, for one, enjoyed the URC and I'm looking forward to the final, next season AND the Heineken Cup.

You need to Log in to reply.