Really good team, that said. I thought that the rule of thumb would be that you need cover the most critical position which is normally starting with your props.
World Rugby has increased the player selection pool from 30 to 32 or 33 I think for world cups.
But the most critical position would be
2, 9 and 10. These are all specialist positions.
My only concern is that Deon Fourie hasn’t played Hooker in more than 10 years even though he started there. He is is menace at the break down and shown great spirit, but why on earth have him there.
Then, the boks have a really good schedule which means they have 1 week between matches. So they can play their best team in each game. However, the biggest ones are Ireland and Scotland.
I don’t know, I feel that Marx is such a good player that he could almost double up as an open side flanker.
Bongi nor Dwebe has the stamina.
Dwebe ball carry abilities are great but he has lost so many line outs this season for the stormers. He keeps conceding free kicks and penalties at scrum time. So he is serious lacking the basics.
Then, his introduction against the all blacks completely imploded.
But, I know Rassie have to pick 50% black players.
But I think we all know who the starting team will be
This is my starting team
- Kittshof - Ox
- Marx - Bongi - Grobbler
- Malherbe - Thomas Du Toit - Koch - Trev if is fit
- Etzebeth - Jenkins
- RG - Lood
- Kolisi - Kwagga - Fourie - Van Staaden
- PSDT - Louw - Dyamani
- Wiese - Roos - Hanford Liebenberg(If Roos had more caps he would be my pick)
- Faf - Williams - Reinach - Hendriks
- Pollard - Libbok - Goosen (if he can get fit, super valuable)
- Kolbe - Arendse
- De Allende - Esterhuizen (form dipped in the prem)
- Am - Rohan Jansen Van Rensberg - Jessie Kriel
- Mpimpi - Moodie
- Willie - Willemse - Gelant
Hall Of Fame
For me Id pick two in each position making 30 then add 3 game changers to make up the 33
I find it easy picking my two in each position, it’s the final 3 I find difficult to finalise
My two of each would be:
15. Willie / Gelant
14/11. Mapimpi / Kolbe / Nkosi / Arendse
13/12. Am / de Allende / Willemse / Janse v Rensburg
10. Pollard / Libbok
9. Faf / Hendrikse
1/3. Kitshoff / Ox / Malherbe / Thomas du Toit
2. Marx / Mbonambi
4/5. Etzebeth / Lood / RG Snyman / Jenkins
6/7/8. Kolisi / Kwagga / PSDT / JL du Preez / Roos / Dan du Preez
My final three would be 3 from:
Of these Esterhuizen is a certainty and it’s down to Wiese, Dweba and Wilco Louw for the final 2
I think I would go with Wiese and Louw
Wiese is another Marx, Dan du Preez, JL du Preez and de Allende in terms of physical freaks who break tackles at will
Wilco Louw had he been invested in over the past 5 years as a Bok could potentially have been better than Malherbe who I rate as our best tighthead since readmission
Two good sides made up of the 33:
15. Willie 14. Mapimpi 13. Am 12. de Allende 11. Kolbe 10. Pollard 9. Faf 1. Kitshoff 2. Marx 3. Malherbe 4. Etzebeth 5. RG Snyman 6. Kolisi (c) 7. PSDT 8. Roos
15. Gelant 14. Nkosi 13. JVR 12. Willemse 11. Arendse 10. Libbok 9. Hendrikse 1. Ox 2. Mbonambi 3. Thomas du Toit (c) 4. Jenkins 5. Lood 6. Kwagga 7. JL du Preez 8. Dan du Preez
Give me your 33, not the 33 that might be selected, I want YOUR 33