Heartbreak in the Bulls camp

Forum » Rugby » Heartbreak in the Bulls camp

May 14, 2019, 11:29

In what can only be described as sheer heart ache for many Blue Bull supporters, former Springbok flyhalf Morne Steyn will make a dramatic return to Loftus Versfeld after signing with the Bulls.

A Bulls spokesperson confirmed the news to Sport24 on Tuesday.

Steyn played over a 100 matches for French Top 14 club Stade Francais since joining them in 2013.

Steyn has however had to settle at fullback in recent months after the club signed Argentine Nicolas Sanchez to back up Frenchman Jules Plisson at flyhalf.

The 34-year-old Steyn represented the Bulls in 124 matches between 2008 and 2013 and also played 66 Tests for the Springboks between 2009 and 2016.

Netwerk24 reported that Steyn has signed a two-year deal with his former team.

Steyn will be a replacement for Handre Pollard, who will leave the Bulls for French outfit Montpellier.

New Bulls CEO Alfons Meyer said: "Even Rassie (Erasmus, Springbok coach) thinks it's a good acquisition. With Handre going to France, it means Manie Libbok is the only flyhalf remaining in our group.

"Morne is very experienced and he can be a very good mentor for Manie."

May 14, 2019, 11:42

There will be heartbreak for the Bulls next year - they will be back as the lowest rated SA team on the log soon in 2020.   Stade Francais tried to get rid of Morne before the arrival of his braai pal Meyer as coach and he ended  up back at the club.   The games he played in was in general a disaster for Stade and after the arrival of Sanchez he was in general left out of the team altogether - but a few times used as bench replacement at full back.

Morne never was a good enough flyhalf - but he was a protegee of the 'kick the shit out of the ball" SA coaches.  Instead of looking for real talent they now seems to sign up the soon to be 35 years of age Stade Francais reject.   That is what I call going backwards in leaps and bounds.      

May 14, 2019, 11:52

Typical Bulls mentality.......they're never going to win fame or fortune for the smarts. And just before someone yells out that he's better than what's around......yeah right, I saw that comin.

My solution for the Bulls is vindicated......eliminate them from super rugby.

May 14, 2019, 12:00

May 14, 2019, 12:38

It is a 2 year deal.... So he should retire around the age of 37...

May 14, 2019, 14:53

SB

The Bulls are making total fools of themselves.   The man was useless in 2014 at age 30 - is he any better now?         

May 14, 2019, 14:59

Roger Federer will be 38 in August. 

Flyhalf is a position requiring skills and judgment.

Somehow I suspect Morne will be better than some pundits think. Not of course that they ever will admit it. 

May 14, 2019, 15:01

Lol Pakie....

Well I say good for him. Old man Nonu is carving it up so who knows. I really hope he does well good luck to him.

May 14, 2019, 15:14

Morne has a 69% win ratio over a long time as Bok flyhalf....substantially better than the Boks without him.

And actually it has less to do with Morne than what it imposes on the team. If Morne is your flyhalf, you better have a kick rush.....the current Bulls don't, as we painfully saw against the Crusaders.

By contrast the great running dreams.......Goosen, Swiel, Willemse.....keep bombing at top level. Flyhalf is a decision making position, more than a ball carrying position.....when you get both, as in Barrett, it's a very rare lucky strike extra.

In the meantime the other successful flyhalves of the last 10 years....Morne, Sanchez, Foley, Farrell, Sexton are kickers, distributors and decision makers.

May 14, 2019, 15:23

Goossen has signed a very valuable contract with Montpellier and is making millions in the process.   That would not happen if he is not a top class player.   Because I said that one has to watch out for how Swiel develops does not mean that I rated him as test or even Super Rugby material.   

As to Willemse he is at the start of his career and is already showing class that Morne never had and will never have,

Even when dear Morne was according to you in top form - he buggered up badly in matches and I can give you a string of test matches the Springboks lost because of Morne.  Dream on - I love a good laugh.:D:D:D:D

May 14, 2019, 15:32

“Posted by: clevermike (35730 posts) May 14, 2019, 14:53

SB

The Bulls are making total fools of themselves. The man was useless in 2014 at age 30 - is he any better now? ”

He didn’t play for the Bulls in 2014 and the last season he played for them (2013), they won the SA Conference.

Now you can go sit down and draw up a looong boring monotonous essay about the Perth test and the Ellis Park test and this test and that test or the time he ran on with his underpants on inside out or the time he tripped in the toilet or the time his Ouma dropped her dentures in the toilet or the time his cat pissed in the dominee’s coffee or the time ....... etc, etc, but what I said about 2014 and 2013 are facts.

May 14, 2019, 15:36

Nobody is wrong more often than Ou Tokkie....the epitome of a dumb fan who chases the flavour of the day, convinced that this latest one is really the answer.

May 14, 2019, 16:19

If things continue like this, I will not be surprise if Derick Hougaard returns to the Bulls shortly..

How fit is Bakkies ... well, I mean, its worth considering?

May 14, 2019, 16:21

Nobody is ever more often wrong about Rugby Issues than  Mozart - an epitome of pet hate of players and of glorification of players way past their sell-bye date. 

May 14, 2019, 16:21

Nobody is ever more often wrong about Rugby Issues than  Mozart - an epitome of pet hate of players and of glorification of players way past their sell-bye date. 

May 14, 2019, 16:43

Beeno

WTF does Federer have to do with the price of eggs in China?

Just cos he is still good at his age, doesnt make Morne good.

Tennis and Rugby are very different sports.

My oupa still klaps me at snooker... but i don't think he'll fare too well in a 100m dash.

God I hate stupid people.

May 14, 2019, 16:44

Blikkies... have you noticed how little we see of Naas on Supersport lately.

Rumor has it...

May 14, 2019, 17:29

Attributing the Boks win ratio to Morne Steyn is hilarious. Only a desperate man would say that ...

His ONLY contribution to the team was kicking at goal and at touch.

He wasn't an attacking player ... stood to damn deep to get his backline away ... that was left to Fourie Du Preez to intiniate ... was a poor defender at the best of times and came off the park with a snow white pair of shorts more often than not.

We all saw how he contributed to the biggest hiding we've ever received at the hands of the All Blacks.

The Bulls have signed a geriatric at 8 ... an elderly nobody on the wing in Hendricks ... a soon to be pensioner at 2 in Brits ... and now Morne joins the elderly gentlemens club ... formerly known as the Bulls.

I wonder which hasbeen will be targeted next?

May 14, 2019, 18:55

CC

What about Fat Fransie?

May 14, 2019, 19:12

Morne is not as bad as some make out.

His overall record looks good in terms of the team winning average - However, he also played in a good era when the Boks had the best pack in world rugby, which is easier for a kicking flyhalf that gets lots of front foot possession to look good. 

He also played outside an excellent scrumhalf in Fourie Dupreez who made many of the decisions.

When Willie Leroux hit the scene, he took over a lot of the first receiver attacking responsibility from Morne. 

Morne had a good floating pass to the right. When things fell apart was when he stood too deep in the pocket when his pack did not give him acres of space, and nullified attacking movements

May 14, 2019, 22:00

All this criticism of our veterans.....but where's the beef. Since the next generation have appeared.....Kitshoff, fatty Malherbe, Kolisi , Lomp, Stephanie, Allende, Kriel......we have plunged from second to at best 5th in the rankings. And when I say plunged, I mean plunged....6th and 7th at times..

I'm tired of hearing how bad the old guys were when the new guys are demonstrably worse.

May 14, 2019, 23:20

Chipped ou I have known for a long time how much you hate yourself due to excessive dumbness.

Tennis requires an athlete with endurance, reflexes and speed. As one gets older you lose a bit of speed but your endurance lasts longer - witness the comrades. FEDERER has shown what an athlete can be like at almost 38. 

Vermuelen showed in scoring his try that his speed was fine, in fact as good as ever. Obviously at 32 his endurance also should be fine barring any injury. There have been many players still at the top at 32.

Why the heck with today's modern training methods, diets, physios etc should a 32 year old  be so over the hill. Forwards also tend to last longer than backs. 

As I told you I suspect Vermuelen is pacing himself and saving his best for the RWC. 

This guy is a man to go to war with. Sick to death of the wimps some of our Super Rugby teams field. 

Be assured chipped ou Rassie knows vastly more about rugby than you. As do many folks here. Right now Vermuelen looks to be part of his RWC plans Hahahahahahaha how superficial can one get! 

May 15, 2019, 00:11

Oh alright, I get it, how remiss of me......some of you were canny enough to invest in a wheelchair company and so come promo day when they wheel Morne onto the playing field you're in for a windfall, I mean the skies the limit re the share price hey?....smart....real smart. Dang! I could've done with a tipoff. 

Anyway not to outsmart you wakker manne how's about going the whole hog and drag Naas out of retirement Hmmm? I'm sure there's a kick or two still left in the old fart.

May 15, 2019, 00:36

Pat Lambie.....Tokkie and Carbuncle's favourite after Maakniks.....7 wins/6losses starting at flyhalf over much of the same period as Morne. Or 54% including the disaster against Japan.

Morne 69%.....Pat Lambie 54%.....so easy.

May 15, 2019, 07:31

... and of course the other players had nothing to do with it ... nor their opposition ...

It was all Morne ... our match wining hero.

Damn ... how could I have missed that.

No wonder the Bulls are so excited to have signed such a match winner. He's bound to secure another Super 15 trophy for them. 

Well good luck to them ... I think they're going to need it.

I'm sure we'll chat again next season about Morne, Mozart.

May 15, 2019, 08:10

Morne the future......Morne the game changer.....yep dat's da one. I like his turn of foot, his sidestep but above all is his ability to get his line away. And let's not overlook him getting around and past his man. He is the complete package.

Of the past and present to who does he compare?....Merhtens? Larkham?  or what about Naas?

May 15, 2019, 08:43

Hmmm ... good point.

Are you perhaps referring to the Merhtens of today ... the Naas and Larkham of this very hour? I would think that if you were, your comparison would be on the money.

May 15, 2019, 12:04

This is absolute crap.   Morne had one positive - namely his kicks at goal.   He had a 80% success rate in that.   However, the years  kicks at goal could gain a winning margin gas gone now and it is indeed rare that scoring of tries and conversions are the defining issue when it comes to winning of games.   This may happen sometimes in the NH tests - but virtually never in the SH tests,   

We should never forget that kicking at goal is necessary during strategic periods in games - but there are many flyhalfs - even in SA - with a 75% plus kicking record so the kicking at goal issue does not really represents a defining cause for the selection of test flyhalfs,        

Why did Morne failed as a flyhalf?   Much has been written about Morne having positives - namely based on his kicking game - but is that all that counts,   The real negatoves are a follows:-

*    Morne rarely attacks the gain lines himself and from a personal attacking approach defenders knew that and went for the potential ball recipients leaving them in a disadvanages situation.

*     Morne routinely stood way too deep in the pocket - forcing the remainder with the backline to alsos tood too deep and reducing chances of any viable attacks,

*     A huge majority of out-of-hand kicks made by Morne were poor and in the main were just possession handover kicks leading to counter-attacks and scoring of tries.  His kicks had zero strategic value and no real objectives since they were often poorly directed and too far ahead to allow for effective follow-up.

*    Although initially Morne's defense was good it deteriorated badly after it was discovered by opposing coaches and players that he is defensively vulnerable,   Attacking Morne's defense was very profitable for teams and statistics in his later tests proved how really poor his defense became.

*     Total predictability by a flyhalf is a huge liability for any team and Morne was totally predictable - that was even confirmed by Hansen in remarks made before the Johamnnesbuirg test in 2014.  

May 15, 2019, 12:07

Mike, what exactly is absolute crap?

May 15, 2019, 15:53

Morne 69%.... Lambie 53%. Case closed.

May 15, 2019, 16:35

Balls - teams win matches - not single players.   Granted the flyhalf plays a key role as pivot in games,   Morne was from a ball sense perspective the most ineffective flyhalf ever playing for the Springboks.   They could have won matches that  Morne lost for them because of gross poor play  Just rea carefully what his deficiencies are as clearly outlined above and do not imagine those are not an exact description of Morne. ,  . 

May 16, 2019, 02:00

So if Barrett plays for the ABs....or if Vunipola plays for England...or if Folau plays for Oz they aren't more likely to win or if Stephanie plays flank we aren't more likely to lose? Give me a frigging break.

Because they are almost the biggest point scorers....differences in flyhalf play have a significant bearing on winning....Morne was better at winning than Lambie. Case closed.

May 16, 2019, 05:50

Mozart ... you had a lot to say about the brilliance of Morne ... till the All Blacks rolled in and thrashed us. Then things went quiet for awhile.

I see you're back on your soapbox again.

May 16, 2019, 09:19

Mozaart

Why start your normal BS?    Mone has had shocking defense stats starting in the Elli Park test in 2013 and afterwards on both test and  club level,    What has du Toit got to do ithh the while issue of flyhalf play?  By constantly harping on one of the best players  in SA is sickenin and shows total rugby deficient thinking.  

Morne's ONLY asset as a flyhalf has all along been an 82% goal kicking record - burt you do not seem to understand - tries score matches and not kicking at goal,  Remember one need three converted penalties to better a converted try,  So  if a team score 3 converted tries - you need 8 converted penalties to win the game,

Morne was hopeless in all other aspects of the game expected from a flyhalf and totally so.     

You need to Log in to reply.