Hendrikse & Willemse - The highlights of 2022 thus far.

Forum » Rugby » Hendrikse & Willemse - The highlights of 2022 thus far.

Jul 18, 2022, 01:30

ex-SArugbyMag

These two are certainly the two positives of this Welsh test series.

Hendrikse is now the preferred starting player for the Boks at 9.
While he didn't do anything exceptional in his first 2 tests like score tries or make clean breaks,
his play at the base of the ruck was immaculate. 

He is Mr consistent, the opposite of say a Jekyll and Hide Francios Hougaard...
Hendrikse has shown for the Sharks he has a good running game as well, and his tackling is reminiscent of the late Joost Van Der Westhuizen. 

Willemse was always seen as a skilful player, but until now has not excelled at test level.
He also had some troubles for the Stormers when playing at flyhalf, with many on this board saying he should move to centre or fullback. Now he is the new Frans Steyn, capable of playing test level in almost any position in the Bok backline. 

Jul 18, 2022, 02:37

Although Willemse can play at flyhalf we need a good flyhalf back-up player in that position - in the squad at present is Jantjies and Goosen.   In my view Jantjies has made such a mess of the 1st test that he is not a real alternative - while Goosen has a history of injury problems.   

Sacha Ngomezulu from the Under 20 team seems to be a class act in the making  and I have a feeling he would be drafted into the Springbok squad sooner rather than later.

The other position where one of the Under 20 players could be brought in would be no 8 to back up Roos and the guy who is also exceptional is Louw Nel.   I am very disappointed in Wiese nd would prefer a player with more pace and linking ability than Wiese has.   .  

A firther report is that the selectors made enquiries about the fitness of Vermeulen - but he ahs been so bad in performances on lower level that it would be a backward move to select him purely on reputation and nothing else.         

You need to Log in to reply.