Highest all time scorers in each rugby position circa 2020…2 Boks…

Forum » Rugby » Highest all time scorers in each rugby position circa 2020…2 Boks…

May 13, 2024, 12:22

….make the grade. Guess who and then check the team. For all those McCaw bashers he makes the list:

https://www.ruck.co.uk/highest-all-time-test-try-scorer-in-each-position-xv/3/

May 13, 2024, 12:30

McCaw never scored a single try that involved any form of skill beating a man and let’s face it he never stood out as some powerhouse

It’s the biggest insult in rugby and I mean this sincerely thst McCaw can even be suggested as one of the best rugby players ever - he was a great leader and at best a solid player

The likes of Schalk, Juan Smith, Pocock, George Smith, Brussouw to name but some in his era were better players let alone the rest of time

May 13, 2024, 12:34

Disagree….McCaw made many crucial contributions. As a fetcher he was right up there with the best.

May 13, 2024, 15:22

Just watch his highlights reel there are very few golden moments

Was not the quickest, was not athletic, never had a great skill set, was hardly a turnover king, hardly the most physical around - he was a good to solid player - one of the best ever - not even close

May 13, 2024, 15:52

But he had a rugby brain….just like Mostert. He was in the right place, doing the right thing.  

But here’s the killer argument Dave. You always cite Dud’s selection for team of the year as proving he is top class.

McCaw won World Player of the Year 3 times….hoist on your own petard.

May 13, 2024, 16:09

I can understand not liking a player but not rating an all-time great like Richie McCaw is a bit silly . . . or maybe based on emotion.  An absolutely brilliant loose forward who could both fetch and carry . . . and an inspirational leader. What more could you want?

I know a lot of South Africans didn't like legendary All Black captains like Sean Fitzpatrick and Richie McCaw but if you didn't rate them as players then you're allowing your emotions to blind your judgment.

May 13, 2024, 16:59

No Rooi emotion has zero to do with it. From a pure rugby sense I don’t care where the great players come from

Never rated McCaw as a great never will. Yes great leader and a nuisance on the field but that does not make him a great rugby player

There are so many better rugby players in a pure rugby sense.

McCaw would not make my list of the best 100 players I have ever seen play the game.

If I was selecting my top 10 opensides, I’d have the likes of Schalk, George Smith, Pocock, Kolisi, Kwagga, v/d Vlier, O’Brien, Savea, Curry, Warburton, Hooper, Dusautoir, Kronfield, Tipuric, Betsen etc ahead of Richie

May 13, 2024, 17:15

Kolisi ahead of McCaw…have to agree with (sic) this has to be pure emotion.

May 13, 2024, 17:16

Kollisi is just solid in my opinion, but not on the list of great Rugby players. Macaw was more then just a nuisance on the field, but a master Flank….I can say that now, but when he was still playing I did not much like him when he played us because he was so good and influential on the field….truly a great leader and player.

May 13, 2024, 17:42

No emotion at all if it was I would not have Savea, Hooper etc on my list

Give me Kolisi over Richie anyday - better with ball in hand and more dominant tackler

For me the same applies to players like Martin Johnson, Jason Leonard, Tom Smith, Alwyn Jones, O’Connell etc - not nearly the best in their positions

You need to Log in to reply.