Is Leinster mocking SA sides with "B" squad

Forum » Rugby » Is Leinster mocking SA sides with "B" squad

Apr 20, 2022, 14:49

So it looks like Leinster has decided to keep the bulk of their first team players at home and send their fringe players to come and tour in SA.  I don't want to get ahead and say that both games will be a walk in the park as Leinster is great at managing talented young players and also fielded a weaker team when we visited them in Dublin, but still got away with a win. 

But I'm also thinking that we are being robbed in  SA of a proper spectacle and having the best teams on the field as they are probably trying to keep their players rested given that there is European quarter final  to play for and doesn't want to tire out their team. They are top of the log and can afford to lose both games and still come out on top. 

What are your thoughts?

I for one hope we rip them a new one and knocked them off the top of the table 

Apr 20, 2022, 16:33

Agreed king...it's like leinster don't take our teams seriously...or maybe a clever tactic to give our teams a false sense of security...I hope we beat there socks off.

Apr 20, 2022, 17:18

Leinster's focus is on Europe and not losing any of their top players to injury. They are pretty much guaranteed a top 4 finish in the URC regardless of results so the simply don't want to risk their big players.

The SA teams should win both of these games but though be surprised if Leinster B run them close.

Apr 20, 2022, 17:39

Ok that makes sense. Plus they can test there depth in player strength and be a formidable side at home. 

Apr 20, 2022, 18:48

Ja, who would have thought a team can afford to throw games away. I know the stormers did it way back when in the Super Rugby comp just to try and keep players fresh but it back fired. 

The European clubs also play a lot of games. So I think Leinster no 1 objective is to qualify for Europe, win the trophy and then compete in the URC. There is no chance that they'll drop below no 4 on the log, so they are guaranteed a spot in Europe. 

But it would be really funny if they get knocked out by Leicester, which will be a really tough game given how strong that team is at the moment. 

I also think we need to take a leaf out of their book perhaps if we qualify for Europe next year. 

Apr 21, 2022, 09:01

So there's talk of the final being played in SA.that would be a virtual home game for any SA team if they reach the final.
Leinster still to play Munster after their return which might be a must win if they lose both here.
These two SA franchises , Sharks and Stormers need the crowds back so maybe Leinster miscalculated on this trip.

Apr 21, 2022, 13:06

Ja, I'm not sure what to make of this. When the Crusaders or Waratahs came to town you knew you are in for one hell of a match. Not to mention the likes of the brumbies etc. Seeing all of these great players  like Carter, Mcaw etc  playing in a near test quality match. 

But now we have to contend with no name brands. 

The thought of it makes me miss the good old super rugby. When teams had to field their best possible teams. Whereas, it was almost near impossible to get tickets to a  test match but at least you knew you can pack out Newlands or Loftus with amazing teams on the field with a great brand of rugby. 

Not saying  Leinster is rubbish,  just that would have been nice to see the best the irish has to offer. 

Apr 21, 2022, 17:01

This action on the part of the Leinster tells me two things:

1. No respect for the SA sides.

2. Keeping their top players healthy for the bigger games to come at      and for the playoffs.

Although I do not agree with this action on Leinster's part who can blame them for looking planning ahead and sparing their better players.

But it shows what they think of SA rugby after last years final when the Bulls got crushed by Italian team.

Must add of the SA sides games that I have watched thus far I am not al all surprised by this move from Leinster.

Apr 21, 2022, 17:01

This action on the part of the Leinster tells me two things:

1. No respect for the SA sides.

2. Keeping their top players healthy for the bigger games to come  and for the playoffs.

Although I do not agree with this action on Leinster's part who can blame them for looking planning ahead and sparing their better players.

But it shows what they think of SA rugby after last years final when the Bulls got crushed by Italian team.

Must add of the SA sides games that I have watched thus far I am not al all surprised by this move from Leinster.

Apr 21, 2022, 17:03

Sorry finger is quicker than the brain.

Apr 25, 2022, 23:11

Well the Sharks are thankful that the "B" team took to the field.

Lucky win.

Apr 26, 2022, 11:15

I gave up halfway during that game. The Saarks really wasted so many opertunities. It just shows you why Leinster in the number 1 team in the URC and one of the top teams in Europe. They know how to manage a game, bring in really good youngster and manage their squad. 

I believe our teams are still a bit too light in comparison and will struggle once we are in European comp

But the Saarks should have put them away but in the end to got through it. Doesn't look good for us in the Play-offs once they are full strength

Apr 26, 2022, 12:04

Leinster are a bit of an aberration. No side in the URC has the depth they do and you'd probably struggle to find a side in England and France that do either. Leinster are blessed in Ireland as having the highest population density in the country and there is an excellent schools and academy system that's just a conveyer belt of talent that feeds them new players. They also have the largest budget in the league which would rival if not surpass anything in England (though its miles off the what the French clubs operate on).

SA teams will be tough to beat if they get home play offs, particularly the Stormers but its hard to look beyond Leinster as the eventual winners.

Apr 26, 2022, 14:05

To be honest, Leinster don't have so many players to draw from as we think. SA, France, NZ and even Australia have more players to draw from. 

I actually use to live in Dublin and played for Landsdown Road Rugby club for a season at centre. 

They have come leaps and bounds in terms of the game. Galic games is the number 1 sport in the country, followed by football and then rugby. It is true, they have some private schools and most of the rugby in Ireland are played in private schools. 

That said, they introduced tagged rugby back in early 2000's which was a massive boost for the love of the game. You could see the you players skills improving and fall in love with the game. 

But what they have done fantastically is to adopt a very pragmatic ball in hand game but also identify and nurture talent from young age and not to mention the professionalism they have shown. 

We are only getting better at it now, but we waste so much of our talents. 

We need to adopt what they did at Saracens and look after our talent. 

That is also why I got cross with Rassie for not following through on managing our talent and allowing players to leave at such young age. 

The same reason why he is over looking youngsters and holding to players on the edge of retirement

Apr 27, 2022, 10:59

I don't think it was a lack of respect for SA it was more to do with the season the first team had and player management.

Keep in mind the experience Munster had in November when stuck in SA with Covid restrictions.   This had a huge impact on their season and player welfare.    There were interviews with players talking about how it affected them.

The guys are in camp away from their family a lot with the Irish team.  They played the 6 nations which is a bit tough.  We are heading into final stretch when they need to be at full strength.  Giving the guys a break now when they are comfortably ahead at the top of the league makes sense.  This decision was made before they announced the home final location....

Next year I expect you will see a lot more of the front line players in SA when things settle down.

On a final note.   I think the B team is weaker this year than I  have seen in a while.   Few guys coming to end of career and new guys not yet up to speed.   Even still, this B team had 6 players capped for Ireland in the starting 15.   

Apr 27, 2022, 11:25

Ja, Leinster really look after their players. Hopefully  we can bring some big names back to SA. I reckon each of the SA team needs at least 6 to 10 players from abroad to be back in  the squad. 

I think the Saarks missed the likes of Du Preez Twins and Esterhuizen. The lions is probably the one team that need to recruit smarter and not get old has beens like Jannie Du Plessis in  their ranks

Apr 27, 2022, 13:25

Indeed, Corn

Remember when the Lions showed that you can take no-name players and turn them into a better side than the Boks?

Why contract Jannie when there are younger, stronger and more mobile guys queuing up?

If you want his experience, use him as a consultant.

Apr 27, 2022, 23:07

All our domestic sides are B sides given over 100 provincial standard SA players are plying their trade abroad

May 04, 2022, 08:23

So Leicester came and gone. They achieved their goal. Got 2 bonus points to stay on top. The saarks probably had the best chance to nil them. 

I think we will be lucky if we make it to the semi with a team in the final. Just hope our top 3 teams can win the last round of games abroad. 

Ja, Dave is right, these are our B sides with so many quality players abroad

May 04, 2022, 12:31

I think the Bulls and the Stormers both has realistic chances of winning their last matches...unfortunately the Sharks have to play Ulster, so I think they will probably lose. Munster also plays Leinster who's got no need to play their best team... 

One or 2 SA sides can still make the top 4, making it much easier to host a home semi...If the Stormers win with a BP and Munster gets only a 4 point win, Stormers can go to 2nd place...but 5 points on the road is a tough ask.

May 04, 2022, 15:05

Both Munster and Leinster are playing in the QF of the European Cup this weekend. will be very interesting to see if these teams progress. If they both win I think that they will sandbag they derby. On the other hand, if they get knocked out it could be a mini Irish final, not that Munster can overhaul them at the top

May 05, 2022, 18:41

Leinster will do us no favours I can promise you that.   There is always a big edge when we play and they love to win.    I think we would be VERY lucky to get 4 points from them going on recent history.   

May 05, 2022, 19:16

Will be cheering for Leinster a draw would be just as good...for the Stormers...would be fantastic if we can secure second on the log...would give us a glimmer...

May 07, 2022, 20:42

So Leinster made the Euro semi and Munster missed out by the skin of their teeth.

May 08, 2022, 14:42

So Leinster made light work of Leicester away from home. Their gamble paid off as they eased passed the tigers. They have a Semi next week before the final round.

So it as to play for in the URC as munster look to to get a trophy this year and wonder whether Leinster can make it to the end of the season 

You need to Log in to reply.