Is Super Rugby in its death throws?

Forum » Rugby » Is Super Rugby in its death throws?

Jul 06, 2020, 09:09

The following from News24:-

The Cheetahs and Southern Kings could be out in the wilderness next year despite an expansion of the PRO14.

"Afrikaans newspaper Rapport indicated on Sunday that the possibility exists for a PRO16 tournament featuring South Africa's four Super Rugby franchises - the BullsLionsSharks and Stormers - but no spots for the Cheetahs and Kings.

The report added that these changes could take effect from as early as the 2020-21 season and that the Cheetahs and Kings would only remain part of the tournament if it was expanded to 18 teams.

Cheetahs managing director Harold Verster could not guarantee that his franchise would be assured of participation in the PRO14 until at least 2022, while a spokesperson for SA Rugby declined to comment.

The Covid-19 crisis has thrown the 2020 rugby calendar into disarray and there have been talks in recent times that New Zealand and Australia could in future play a trans-Tasman Super Rugby event excluding South Africa.

There are, however, television deals in place and it would also likely mean the disbanding of Sanzaar, the governing body which oversees proceedings for southern hemisphere rugby.

SA Rugby has contractual agreements with Sanzaar and its partners to field four teams in Super Rugby."

I am not sure what is going on here.  Rapport is normally more well-informed about rugby issues than other media outlets and the fact is that a move may be on the cards.   It may destroy Sanzaar and the money will have a serious detrimental affect on funding of rugby in New Zealand and Australia.      

Jul 06, 2020, 09:17

I wonder what "death throws" are?

They certainly don't sound very pleasant at all.

I'm picturing one of those Mortal Kombat characters like Sub-Zero or Raiden incorporating some new throw into his routine when he needs to finish his opponent.

Jul 06, 2020, 10:11

"I wonder what "death throws" are?"

Just some advice Piss Mint

When you want to correct a post about spelling or grammar, and in the process try and belittle someone because of it.....maybe, just maybe.... make certain first..... that your response is 100% correct

What a twat

"I'm picturing on of those Mortal Kombat characters like Sub-Zero or Raiden"

Jul 06, 2020, 10:19

Super Rugby has been going backwards for over a decade. The past six years have been woeful, it should have been put out of its misery long ago. Greed is what destroyed it, and allowing the Aussies and to force through the ELVs.

Jul 06, 2020, 11:06

Just go back to the super 10 format and let one country host it. 

Have a qualifying league from each country. Right now the NZ are playing 8 hight quality games. 

Follow the new model where home an away games are being played locally with the team with the highest points take the local title,

Then, take the top 2 teams from each country and create 2 pools of 5 each

The other 4 teams can participate in a repo charge where the 3 and 4 from each league have to compete for 7 8 9 10 

Once the group stages of S10 is done

Have a group stage with a semi final and a final

Done, exciting and everyone gets a go and we finally put an end to excessive travel and.

The repo charge qualifying league can include other teams such as Arg, Jap, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga etc 

Jul 06, 2020, 11:09

A league format with no playoffs makes perfect sense. Only for the purposes of money could one not have thought of going that route. Playoffs have never worked in this competition. A straight league. But, Super rugby has already been tainted and cannot be redeemed. 

Jul 06, 2020, 17:55

There rumors have been going around for the last month or so. Hard to know what to think of them.There is also talk of Gallagher Premiership and Pro 14 merging. CVC now own a 28% share of each of them at this point and its thought they want them to increase marketability. How that would work would be anyone's guess as their would be far too many teams.

I could see the merits for both the Pro 14 competition and the South African teams. Think it would make for a very strong league.

Jul 06, 2020, 23:57

It is either dead for SA, or the number of SA teams need to be reduced, to allow better SA teams to play in the Northern Hemisphere. Having the Jaguars makes even more travel to South America for one game. 

With a more global season will also avoid the mud baths of winter in the Northern Hemisphere- even with astroturf- it is still horrible conditions. 

The Kings must be dropped as they have been an embarrassment in Pro 14. 

Jul 07, 2020, 01:10

I've seen a number of games of the Kings; they have a lot of potential. They look like a bunch of individuals much of the time. Better coaching, it makes a difference. That is where the difference is between SA and the NH. Much, much more professional, better prepared and more cutting edged.

You need to Log in to reply.