Jaco Kriel is reportedly eager to return to the Lions.

Forum » Rugby » Jaco Kriel is reportedly eager to return to the Lions.

Jan 27, 2020, 11:46

Springbok flank Jaco Kriel is reportedly eager to return to the Lions.

I sure as hell won't complain. We need as much experience as we can get right now.

The 30-year-old currently plies his trade at English club Gloucester - who are coached by former Lions mentor Johan Ackermann.

However, according to Afrikaans newspaper Rapport, Kriel wants to return home and has already spoken to both the Lions and Gloucester about a possible move back to Johannesburg.

New Springboks head coach Jacques Nienaber to focus on 'transformation'

Newly-appointed Springboks head coach Jacques Nienaber says he will focus on "transformation" for the South African rugby team to "keep on winning". He replaces Rassie Erasmus who led the squad to victory in the last World Cup.

The report added that Kriel could be back at Ellis Park within "the next month or two".

He was on the Lions' books between 2010 and 2018, before joining Gloucester.

Kriel has had a torrid time at Kingsholm, with injuries limiting him to just 16 appearances and is hoping a move back to the Lions could re-ignite his career.

Kriel was a star performer during his time at the Lions, playing a big role in the team making three consecutive Super Rugby finals between 2016 and 2018.

He also played 11 Tests for the Springboks between 2016 and 2017.

Jan 27, 2020, 16:18

Great player under utilised at test level

Unfortunately aged 30 it’s a bit late now but he will be a bonus for the Lions

Has spent most of his time at Gloucester injured so plenty of time to feel homesick!!

Jan 28, 2020, 03:31

Wacko Jacko Kriel is back! 

Although it seems like his good pal Warren Whitely, they will spend more time with the team physio than anything else. Both have been very injury-prone for the last 3-4 years. 

Whitely is out for 2020 and will be the Lineout coach for the Lions. 

Rugby must be a frustrating sport when doing physio for 6 months to recover from an injury, then playing for 2-3 games and before even back into form another re-occurring injury and out for another 6-9 months. 

Maybe there should be some type of bionic body parts that can be sewn onto players for matches. It could be a bit of Frankenstein stuff, but at least it will get the better players back on the pitch.

Jan 28, 2020, 07:14

That is a bad decision.

The quota Kolisi was give his jersey a few years ago.

The far more talented Jaco wasn't wanted ... wrong skin colour ... and will never play test rugby again. He should stay in the UK and live out his career there. It's only a few years to go.

Of course the Puppet's going to focus on transformation. He has to do what he's told.

The Goats are on their way out.

I hope it picks up pace now.

Proteas here we come.

Viva!!!

Jan 28, 2020, 07:22

We're going to look at this Puppet and long for the days of Meyer.

Jan 28, 2020, 07:32

Only lunatics will long for the days of Meyer - ask Stade Francais about that one.  

Jan 28, 2020, 08:11

The Goats are No. 1 in the world at the moment.

They are the World Champions ... they are the best team in the world ... apparently ... they have the best player in the world ... and the puppet master was told he was the best coach in world.

Let us see whether your Puppet and his master are able to keep the Goats there come December.

Then we'll talk, Comrade ... ok??

Jan 28, 2020, 08:30

Unlike you - I hope they remain at no 1.   At least they have a coach now - not a dummy,   

Jan 28, 2020, 08:42

Yes ... you are right.

I hope they plummet down the rankings. I hope they follow the Proteas and Bafana Bafana's fine example of racism in sport.

I hope that every talented white boy looks north to further their careers ... and that transformation in rugby takes precedence over common decency and fair play.

I hope they become the laughing stock of world rugby.

That would bring me joy.

Jan 28, 2020, 12:39

If history is anything to go by, we will have a dip in performance this season, rising again next year...BUT...we never had coaching continuity after previous RWC victories, so, just maybe, we can carry through a bit of momentum this time round???

GO Bokke!

Jan 28, 2020, 13:34

Aaaaah ... I see the excuses are prepare and ready to make their rounds.

We don't suck as a team ... na-aaha ... it's history you see ...

Funny that the All Blacks went on to dominate the world for a decade. They probably forgot to follow the history trend, huh?

Jan 28, 2020, 17:01

Well, I have to agree that even before he left that he seemed to having problems around staying fit. Some players are just injury prone, but also in the style that they play. He is very physical and probably make to much contact, but then if you are an opernsider, expect to get a lot of hits come ruck time. Unlike Kolisi that never seem to get stuck in for fear of being smashed, but would rather watch from the side. 

Personally, I don't think Kolisi is that great but feel that Vermeulen was probably the real captain and both Marx and Vermeulen made up for Kolisis short comings to compete on the ground. 

But have to agree, Kriel is on the wrong side and it will take a lot to get another big club to pinch him back. But at least there is a place for him at the lions and hopefully he can add so much value to the lions pack if he can stay fit

Jan 28, 2020, 17:19

CC, South Africa have a history of shooting ourselves in the foot.

Feb 05, 2020, 14:15

The following is the latest news on this issue:-

Springbok flank Jaco Kriel may be back in the Lions camp but he is not expected to feature for the Johannesburg outfit anytime soon.

It was confirmed earlier in the week that Kriel has signed a three-year deal with the Lions, but according to Netwerk24, the 30-year-old is still doing rehabilitation after an ankle operation in December.

Kriel is only expected to make a return to the playing field in April.

He was on the Lions' books between 2010 and 2018, before joining English club Gloucester where former Lions mentor Johan Ackermann is the head coach.

Kriel had a torrid time at Kingsholm, with injuries limiting him to just 16 appearances and is hoping the move back to the Lions could re-ignite his career.

"Yes, things didn't quite work out there. But it was still a good thing for me to go because I would always have wondered about it if I didn't take the chance," Kriel said.

Kriel was a star performer during his time at the Lions, playing a big role in the team making three consecutive Super Rugby finals between 2016 and 2018.

He also played 11 Tests for the Springboks between 2016 and 2017. "

Jaco is a type of loosie I like and I am glad he is back in SA already,   He is the one signing made by the Lions I like - Jannie and Alberts are over-the-hill duds and Jaco is bound to make a difference when playing for the Lions.   

Feb 05, 2020, 14:39

clevermike,

Kriel and Alberts will play so well together.

Their styles compliment one another.

dont you think?

Feb 05, 2020, 15:04

Alberts is useless

Feb 05, 2020, 16:45

I wasnt asking you

Feb 05, 2020, 16:55

If someone told you Chip chip it would make no difference as you are too fucking stupid

Evidenced in ignorantly thinking washed up Alberts in combo with Jaco would be a good thing

Add some value you stupid prick

Feb 05, 2020, 17:06

Chippo

There styles are so similar - sure they are.  Both  cannot defend properly - both are super-slow and both should have stopped playing rugby 5 years ago,   ,  

Feb 05, 2020, 19:03

Jannie Duplessis is the worst tackler in the history of the game, and by now he must be much worse. 

He makes obstructive tackles blocking his own players from the opposition. The oppositions seek him out to use him to block his own teammates making the tackle. 

Fat Albert is just an injury about to happen and should have retired. I have nothing against older players like Schalk Britz that are still in form and don't waste the teams budget going from injury to injury, but when it is time to hang up the boots, do it gracefully. 

Feb 05, 2020, 20:01

These old washed up has beens are polluting our rugby

Jaco Kriel still has plenty to come offer but the likes of Jeandre Kruger, Morne Steyn, Alberts, Jannie, Roberts etc are depriving our youngsters of a shot

It’s bad enough that youngsters are looking to break through only to be blocked not by transformation but by a 37 year old

It’s pathetic

Feb 05, 2020, 20:01

These old washed up has beens are polluting our rugby

Jaco Kriel still has plenty to come offer but the likes of Jeandre Kruger, Morne Steyn, Alberts, Jannie, Roberts etc are depriving our youngsters of a shot

It’s bad enough that youngsters are looking to break through only to be blocked not by transformation but by a 37 year old

It’s pathetic

You need to Log in to reply.