You need to LOG IN to reply.

Jantjies-less Lions vs the Stephanie-less Stormers

Forum » Rugby » Jantjies-less Lions vs the Stephanie-less Stormers

Jun 01, 2019, 17:04

May the games begin....

Jun 01, 2019, 17:20

wow ... Just heard from the commentator that Warren Whiteley is in hospital suffering from kidney stones. This is bad.

Best wishes Warren.

Jun 01, 2019, 17:23

Kidney stones are not too serious. 

Great defence Allende

Jun 01, 2019, 17:23

Try saving tackle from Dellende.

Jun 01, 2019, 17:27

Yes Stander keep play deep inside Lions half. 

Jun 01, 2019, 17:36

Well done Jantjies...steal by a Scrummie!

Jun 01, 2019, 17:37

Sadie dominating Kitshoff...but is he scrumming up?

Jun 01, 2019, 17:41

wow... today it is Sadie and Dylan Smith that is tops in the front row. Amazing how the dominance shifts from week to week.

Jun 01, 2019, 17:46

Kwagga is outstanding.

Jun 01, 2019, 17:47

Kwagga shows his backline credentials. 

Jun 01, 2019, 17:48

Wilco saves the scrum.

Jun 01, 2019, 17:49

Would you rather have Kwagga or Kolisi?

Jun 01, 2019, 17:51

Ref bias? 

Jun 01, 2019, 17:53

Have doubts about Kwagga when it a real forward battle.

Would you play him again ts England

Jun 01, 2019, 17:55

But like to see Steph, Cioetzee and Kwagga play a test against nz. We need to test certain players. 

Jun 01, 2019, 17:58

How was that tackle on Coetzee by Eben to not save the try Moz? ;)

Jun 01, 2019, 17:58

Coetzee a backline player stronger than Eztebeth?  He made Eztebteth into his handbag

Jun 01, 2019, 17:59

13-3 Lions. I did not expect this.

Jun 01, 2019, 17:59

Coetzee does the business.....I commented a few weeks back that this guy is playing good rugby again. Probably our most solid option after Willie.

Jun 01, 2019, 18:00

Kleintjie Stephanie is seriously useless....and hahaha....luck of the du Toits it's handed to him on a plate.

Jun 01, 2019, 18:02

Is Joanne Dutoit faster than Stephanie? It appears so. 

Jun 01, 2019, 18:02

And Kleintjie scores.

Hehe

Jun 01, 2019, 18:03

Nog n Du Toit scores for the Stprmers. Piet Spiere had indeed quality rugby genes.

Jun 01, 2019, 18:08

Plum please after all that Deysel Twin stuff....under appreciating Etzebeth is just another miss. So far he has 24 hard metres, has taken all his lineouts and kickoffs. And his backward lunge at Coetzee isn't even classified as a missed tackle....so far 4 tackles no misses.

The man is a fabulous athlete....playing for the ABs he would be better than Jaws.

Jun 01, 2019, 18:10

Everybody is faster than Stephanie...hell Wilco would probably gas him.

Jun 01, 2019, 18:12

The Ezetebeth handbag was worn fashionably by Coetzee. 

It was certainly a missed tackle, and to some degree, he blocked another player from attempting the tackle.

Jun 01, 2019, 18:19

Notshe notches his third ball loss.

Jun 01, 2019, 18:21

Kwagga Smith is asking questions for a Bok recall.

Jun 01, 2019, 18:21

Brilliant by Coetzee and Mapoe.

Jun 01, 2019, 18:24

It wasn't a missed tackle Shark....not registered that way by ESPN.....if a player makes progress in the tackle, but he is ultimately brought to ground it's not a missed tackle.

Jun 01, 2019, 18:25

And Allende gives away the game with a stupid errant pass.... damn useless.

Jun 01, 2019, 18:30

Jantjies ... real quality.

Jun 01, 2019, 18:30

Good point, but it was a poor tackle. A backline should player should not be able to drag a lock around 2 metres. When he started to be dragged, which in it self was a surprise- he should have fallen into the tackle and slid down to trip Coetzee until the 2nd Stormer tackler arrived

Jun 01, 2019, 18:31

Jantjies seems to be a thinking player. He is calm and collective.

Jun 01, 2019, 18:33

Agree Shark it wasn't his best effort...a bit awkward and costly.

Jun 01, 2019, 18:35

The Dyanti try was the best by an SA team this season. It looked like an All Black backline movement. 

Jun 01, 2019, 18:39

Malherbe cracked.....

Jun 01, 2019, 18:39

Now why was Sadie subbed?

Jun 01, 2019, 18:46

Lions not missing Jaintjies today.

Jun 01, 2019, 18:47

Fine pass Du Plessis.

Jun 01, 2019, 18:48

Lions looking their best all season...bewildering angles of attack. Mapoe the form 13 based on the last 3 games.

Jun 01, 2019, 18:49

Another du Toit on the left wing another turnover to the opposition.

Jun 01, 2019, 18:50

Lions getting some very friendly calls from Marius

Jun 01, 2019, 18:59

You just witnessed our biggest deficit to NZ......the inability to unlock the goal line defence. Charge and hope.

Jun 01, 2019, 19:00

Lions too much flair. 

Bit like the Sharks, the Stormers need forward dominance as backline lacks punch. 

Bongi, Schickerling, Steph and Kolisi all out. Makes a significant difference

Jun 01, 2019, 19:00

GG Beeno & Draad

The Lions took all the roids this week hehe

Where were Eben, Willemse and DDA today?

Jun 01, 2019, 19:01

A pakslae......isMarx the world's best rugby player?

Jun 01, 2019, 19:02

Yebo yes - Elton Jantjies not missed whatsoever today.

Jun 01, 2019, 19:04

All those confusing flat passes to no one...the Lions just showed that's not what makes them a team with flair.

Jun 01, 2019, 19:09

Kolisi, Snickering and Stephanie would have made a difference? Sorry Kolisi wasn't playing so ErasmusHead could see the comparison between Kwagga and a player who puts in 15 minutes a game.

Jun 01, 2019, 20:03

Thank you ... thank you ... thank you.

I hope they can keep the momentum going for next week's clash against the Canes.

Jun 01, 2019, 20:24

Sorry the weakest link today in the Stormers was Etzebeth - extremely poor and he cannot complete a game anymore.

Du Toit would have made a difference and Kolisis too,  The whole team suffers from lack of leadership I am afraid,.   

Jun 01, 2019, 20:24

Sorry the weakest link today in the Stormers was Etzebeth - extremely poor and he cannot complete a game anymore.

Du Toit would have made a difference and Kolisi too,  The whole team suffers from lack of leadership I am afraid,.   

Jun 01, 2019, 20:54

To be fair, Etzebeth hasn't spent enough time on the park this season to even be considered for the world cup.

We have ample talent at lock, so let's not select an under done, injury prone hasbeen purely on reputation.

Snyman and Du Toit would be my choice.

Jun 01, 2019, 21:03

Absolute balls ....but noted Tokkie, you don't rate Etzebeth, just like you don't rate Pollard or Vemeulen.

Jun 01, 2019, 21:45

Kwagga killed us today...Stormers were kakkerag.

Jun 01, 2019, 22:04

It is debatable if Kwagga should be playing number 6, or number 8. He is pretty good at the breakdown, but he also has the linking ability to connect forwards with the backs required by a number 8. He has pace, and very good at a fast tempo game. 

I would much rather have him than one of the Deysel Twins. 

Jun 02, 2019, 06:39

Mozart

To rate a player he has to play some games.   How much rugby has Ezteneth played this year to make him ratable?  He did not play any rugby until  late  April and since then he was of with injury twice and when he did play he was somewhat innocuous.

Vermeulen is in a different category,   Since he returned to test rugby in June last year he played 2 excellent tests and failed badly in the third test He then skipped the Rugby Champion tests and came back in November 2019 playing in three tests - his performance in all those test.  He then went to the Bulls and in about half of the matches he played in he was barely satisfactory - in the other half he was seriously guilty of low work rate performances of very little benefit.        

Did the 2015 WC told you nothing?  Meyer emptied the hospital wards to get a squad - some of which played virtually no rugby for up to 18 months.   Were they usable?   Obviously not.

Mozart - you are free to look at player reputation - nothing else. You obviously do not believe in player evaluation based on actual performance and when you can you falsify performance evaluation  you do so.   Insofar as winning of tests and games over the last year is concerned you are totally dedicated to run down actual performers and glorify absentee and under-performers.

Don't expect from me to believe the garbage you write on site when it comes to rugby issues.       

Jun 02, 2019, 09:17

Kwagga punches way above his body weight. He has immense upper body strength and pace for days.

He certainly has returned to form in a big way so soon after an injury ... and can lead a squad without any issues effecting his game.

He also plays for the full 80 unlike Vermeulen who disappears after the first twenty and then rests for a fortnight. That's the difference between  the young and the old ... the hungry and the sated and unintrested.

I can't see Rassie ignoring Kwagga's claim for a spot in the starting mix ... but then again he did appoint Quota Kolisi as cpt and as openside flank ... knowing full well how useless he was ... and Jaco Kriel and Akker have been totally ignored.

Snyman and Du Toit at lock would open he 7 berth for an additional player and with the elderly Vermeulen left on the bench for the last 15 - 20 minutes there must surely be a spot for Kwagga in the back row.

We need to give this man as much of the ball as we can.

Jun 02, 2019, 09:51

Moz

Everyone rates Eben.

That's the problem. 

Ross Cronje tackled him early the piece yesterday. 

He gave away the lineout penalty that lead to the first try. Unforced as well since he played Lewies(spelling) in the air.

He should have stopped the Coetzee's try too.

That's 14 points that can be traced directly back to Even.

Any other player would get stick. Not Eben.

I'm with Mike. Eben has to show his worth. 

Snyman, PSDT and Mostert are putting in noteworthy performances weekly.

And it's not just recent form. We have to go back Coetzee's time to see an improving Eben.

At this point, the guy is a reputation pick.

Jun 02, 2019, 14:44

Eben is too inconsistent. He may be past his best already. Each year, he gets less consistent. 

He usually plays well after injury-enforced rests, for his game to deteriorate as the season progresses. 

Jun 02, 2019, 15:24

I like Kwagga very much, very much in the same mould as Tommy Bedford in the sixties/seventies although different characters as it appears. They complement the side , not only the other two loosies but the whole side...light weights are strong and tough men with far more gusto than the usual...it depends how you use them. Tommy Bedford was a Springbok captain and no 8 and light and his other partners in the loose were Piet Greyling, Jan Ellis and even lock Frik Du Preez sometimes. That combination worked well.

These types of loosies have generally a high work rate and do more than compensate for a few kilo's less.

He also has rugby sense and is an intelligent player which makes up...his sevens experience sharpens a player.

Jun 02, 2019, 16:47

Nothing about Kwagga has changed in the last three years.

One wonders why he's receiving kudos so late.

Seems he has to score multiple tries per game to be noticed.

Jun 02, 2019, 17:01

Thank you Plum that's a good reply...one does, indeed wonder why we are too slow to recognise talent before it's too late and they move to greener pastures when we cannot recognise it.

There have been many...is it because we are so insecure to take chances in selection and recognition on insight and wait until it's too late.

Jun 02, 2019, 23:33

Wee stormers took a beating it seems. I'm sure a med-assisted Beeno can handle this loss with his usual grace and dignity:ermm:

Jun 03, 2019, 03:36

Here are the 'disastrous' stats Etzebeth produced yesterday:

E EtzebethL 0 1 6 25 0 1 0 0

Six runs, 25 metres through heavy traffic.

E EtzebethL 1 6 0 0

Six tackles made, none missed.

And he took four or so kickoffs and all his lineouts. All in one half of rugby. He wasn't nearly as ineffective as his critics pretend he was.

Etzebeth is our best 4 by a mile.

Jun 03, 2019, 03:37

Oh and welcome back JW...we missed you!

Jun 03, 2019, 07:59

Yeah right ... just like Vermeulen is our best 8 and Louw our best 6 and don't forget Frans Steyn our best 10, 12, 15.

Dream on old man.

Jun 03, 2019, 08:00

Kwagga has matured into a fine 15 man rugby player.

He is not the same player at all.

Jun 03, 2019, 11:02

Given Kwagga's Sevens experience I'd stick him at 13 ..... I think the plusses would outweigh the negatives considering that  unlikeourlockswehavevokallcentres

Jun 03, 2019, 15:23

Sien jy Beeno...twee jaar later vang hulle uiteindelik op :angel:

Jun 03, 2019, 17:40

Congrats Plum, that was a fine win and a thorough beating...It seems you lot are still the best local team.:D

Jun 03, 2019, 17:45

Only because of Marx and Kwagga dude.

If they go...its all over.

Jun 03, 2019, 17:50

I watched the game last night, it wasn't clear if the Lions were a very to team or if the Stormers were just poor. My final conclusion: Lions are a decent team but not in the league of the Saders and the stormers are a poor team and not in the league of the Mighty Chiefs.

Thanks for the welcome back Moz. I imagine that by now the Moz and CleverMike relationship has matured into a gentlemanly exchange of opinions:angel:

Jun 03, 2019, 18:25

Hi JW, good to see you again, and you are correct...Mike & Moz are a riot of exemplary behavior...it's up to me and Beenz to bother some folk now and again:'(...hard and difficult task, but someone's gotta do it.:D

Jun 03, 2019, 18:29

Hi DB, thanks for the welcome. There is a rumor that Beeno spirited CleverMike away in his Noddy car & that Mozart is in hot pursuit in a Maserati, lol 

Jun 03, 2019, 20:48

Maserati? Must be the stand in pursuit car...can't afford to risk the Ferrari on such a trivial errand then? Interesting...not like a fast car is needed to chase down a Noddy car anyway.:angel:

PS, I prefer a bakkie (pickup truck) for transportation...much better at managing tough terrain...and enough room for the extra baggage. :D

Jun 03, 2019, 21:34

DB, yes perhaps there is no need for a Ferrari or any such vehicle as wee Beeno is not such a fast peddler (although he is a good peddler of fake news) lol

What happened to wee Faf, did he fizzle?

Jun 03, 2019, 23:17

JW this Board has matured in your absence....you might have to up your game. Just a word to the wise......use it, discard it no matter.

Mike and I now have a respectful relationship in which I actually read his posts before I reject them for factual discrepancies.

Jun 04, 2019, 00:51

Thanks Moz, I didn't notice this increased maturity on the board but it does deserve closer scrutiny. I've put my best man on it. Early reports indicate a 2 score on the maturity meter where 10 is the highest possible score:'(

Back to the topic at hand, it will be interesting to see if PSDT has improved over the course of the season in the eyes of some on this board.

Jun 04, 2019, 01:34

Maturely I avoid this obvious ruse.

Jun 04, 2019, 02:16

Ok Moz, I see you are not prepared to stick your neck out on PSDT, lol  This is certainly a change for you but we will see if this is maturity or if you have finally lost the debate on our swan-necked dwarf PSDT.

Jun 04, 2019, 08:36

Well we did all age by about six months JW.

I see your cricket team are their usual dark horse selves at the CWC.

Good luck to your boys.

Let us know if you'd like to trade Guptill.

We'll give you our top six in exchange haha

You need to Log in to reply.