Jean Kleyn set to make Irish WC squad

Forum » Rugby » Jean Kleyn set to make Irish WC squad

Sep 02, 2019, 12:39

This really pisses me off like the selection of Paul Willemse for France.

Jean is Munsters go to enforcer lock, a brute of a man who was good for WP.

He only qualified for Ireland last month and is set to be included in the Irish squad ahead of Devon Toner.

Another big loss to SA rugby

Had Rassie been astute enough he would have capped Willemse and Kleyn before other tests nations grabbed them.

The same is going to apply to the likes of Duhan vd Merwe, Jacques du Plessis, Ruan Ackerman, Pierre Schoeman and Ollie Kebble, not to mention the many uncapped SA players that left for overseas clubs post this Super rugby season.

I know can’t cap every player and cheapen the jersey but come on there are some great players slipping the net here.

Shit if Scara and Orie can win test caps then wake up and hand caps to Pierre Schoeman, Jacques du Plessis and Duhan vd Merwe

Sep 02, 2019, 14:09

Scara and Orie are pure quota selections. 

Maybe Rassie feels it's not fair to cap a player just to stop him playing overseas. 

I agree the players you mention are real loses! 

At the bottom of all this is the extreme weakness of the Rand. The imposition of quotas also doesn't help in getting players to stay. 

Right now so many things work against us. 

Sep 02, 2019, 14:14

Jean Kleyn confirmed in Irish squad

Sep 02, 2019, 16:45

But no Quince!!! Actually I think Kleyn is even more useless....utterly dominated by Kruis a few weeks back. Schmidt has lost the plot....Toner won theAB match last Autumn and has much more gravitas.

Sep 02, 2019, 17:49

Kleyn's selection over Toner is certainly a surprise as Kleyn as he wasn't really impressing many over here with his recent performances.
Toner was Schmidts most picked player so his admission is its a double surprise at that. Toner has always been Mr Dependable rather than  Mr Outstanding but dependable is what Schimdt usually preferred. I guess his recent run of injuries is what counted against him.

I feel sorry for Toner. He comes across as really decent bloke. Also we had the ahem "he's going be BIG in Japan" jokes lined up.:P

Sep 03, 2019, 00:02

Moz you are as clueless as ever you know nothing about Kleyn

Dominated by Kruis in what game exactly

Toner is utterly useless - he is even worse than Mostert

Sep 03, 2019, 00:21

Last English test......Poms with Kruis win 15 out of 15 lineouts..... Ireland with the utterly toothless Klein win 10/15. C'mon Dave this guy makes the Quince look good.

Sep 03, 2019, 00:51

Ah so now a lock is defined by line outs well in that case I’d have to concede - Toner is brilliant!!!

Just a pity he is utterly useless in every other department

If you knew anything about Kleyn you would not be stupid enough to call him useless.

As for Kruis dominating him in that one sided test - well would that be Kruis gaining all of 3m in 5 runs.

How exactly did he dominate Kleyn?

Kleyn has been huge for Munster, is a great prospect. A Bakkies and Eben kind of player. A true enforcer - one of the best in the NH, which you have to be playing for Munster.

He has more to him than Quinn Roux who at best has been solid

Sep 03, 2019, 01:11

Lots of spluttering Dave, I'll simply quote the Irish Times:

Jean Kleyn Being big and strong is irrelevant when you are put into the arena with Maro Itoje and George Kruis. Nowhere near the standard. Rating: 3

Sep 03, 2019, 11:35

Oh for goodness sake Moz the whole Irish side got poor ratings as they got thrashed. It’s called perspective.

Itoje more physical than Kleyn is insulting

Anyway it’s typical you, you watch one game and conclude a player is useless - it’s poor form Moz

Kleyn is a good player is a hard nut gets stuck in has a hard edge, a bit of bad about him. Ireland never had an enforcer they do now and it’s why Schmidt has selected him

Sep 03, 2019, 16:30

We had the same argument about the Quince Dave.....I would have thought by now you would have learned to.....stick with moz!

Sep 03, 2019, 20:53

Wrong I had seen very little of Quinn but liked the bits I had seen. My issue was with him leaving SA as a youngster and in the end he went on to play for Ireland - hardly a failed career now is it?

As I said he has proved solid, nothing special.

Kleyn on the other hand I have seen plenty of and he is the real deal. He will have a long test career with Ireland and is a loss to SA.

If Rassie had any savvy he would have capped him ages ago adding to his pool of options.

We both rated Paul Willemse highly and look how average his first few tests were? These guys need time to settle in - same can be said of Kwagga.

Moz if I stuck with you I’d be a fan of powder puff Mostert and I’d select him over RG or Lood - no man that’s like plugging in Celine Dion over Nirvana!!!

Sep 03, 2019, 20:59

"Celine Dion over Nirvana!!!"

Lol!...good analogy. 

Sep 03, 2019, 21:02

You can have it Draad!!

You need to Log in to reply.