You need to LOG IN to reply.

Juan de Jongh signed new contract with Wasps

Forum » Rugby » Juan de Jongh signed new contract with Wasps

Feb 09, 2019, 12:26

The following from News 24:-

Wasps have revealed that South Africa centre Juan de Jongh has penned a new contract to remain at the Coventry-based outfit.

The Springbok becomes the seventh player in recent weeks to commit to the club as director of rugby Dai Young prepares for the 2019/20 Premiership campaign.

De Jongh arrived at the Ricoh Arena in the summer of 2017 and has gone on to feature 39 times in the black and gold to date, including an impressive six tries in 15 appearances this season.

In his earlier days, De Jongh was a standout performer for the Cape Town-based Stormers in Super Rugby and Western Province in the Currie Cup.

He was part of a Stormers side which reached the 2010 Super Rugby final, as well as the semi-finals in 2011 and 2012, while also attaining two Currie Cup titles with Western Province in 2012 and 2014.

His excellent showings for his club saw him rewarded with an international debut against Wales in 2010, and he has since gone on to make 19 appearances, including two tries in two appearances at the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

The centre also boasts a bronze medal to his name having been part of the South African Sevens team at the 2016 Rio Olympics.

Young said: “Juan has been outstanding for us in the past couple of seasons.

“Having another quality international centre commit to the club, who can play at both 12 and 13, is great news.

“He’s solid in defence and he has certainly shown his prowess in attack with six tries already this season.”

De Jongh added: “Wasps are a fantastic club and the Coventry and Warwickshire area has certainly become my home.

“I’ve made some wonderful friends here at Wasps and alongside them, I want to help the club push on and achieve great things in the not-too-distant future.”

Feb 09, 2019, 12:29

My comments about the hype in the above article is as follows:-

This should be manna from heaven for the orc - who for years advocated De Jongh as the player who should be in the Springbok team.    I have reason to believe that it is hype of enormous proportions in this case.   By April 2018   De Jongh played in 21 games for Wasps scoring a total of 3 tries,   The article claimed he played in 15 games since then scoring 6 tries.    Where did that 15 games come from?   

I did not check the latter portion of the 2018-10 season - but checked the games played by Wasps.  

However, the claim about 15 games played and 5 tries scored was checked,,    Wasps played in 6 games in the European Cup championship ending bottom of the log in their group.   That means –

12 games  in the English premiership - total number played to date; and

*    6 games in the European Cup series

De Jongh started in 3 games and was on the bench once in the Champions series series – He scored no tries in the relevant series

Now to the Gallagher Premiership.    Wasps played in 12 games thus far,   Of those De Jongh started in 8  games and was on the bench twice.   In all 10 games he scored 3 tries,  He  did not play in the other two matches.

De Jongh was poor in defense playing for the Stormers/WP and is no better for Wasps.   he went AWOL in his 2012 tests and Myer lost interest in him.   He came back to the Springboks  in 2017 and in the game he made 7 tackles and missed 3.   The orc lied and tried to hisde the fact from discussion on site, 

You need to Log in to reply.