Kobus van Wyk off to Leicester

Forum » Rugby » Kobus van Wyk off to Leicester

Jul 20, 2020, 16:03

Van Wyk was making hay for the Hurricanes and now the following article on the issue:-

South African winger Kobus van Wyk has signed a deal with Leicester Tigers, the English club confirmed on their official website on Thursday.

Van Wyk, 28, currently plays for the Hurricanes in the Super Rugby Aotearoa competition.

The former Junior Springbok played for the Stormers between 2013 and 2016 and represented the Sharks between 2017 and 2019.

Speaking about the addition of Van Wyk, Leicester's director of rugby Geordan Murphy said: "Kobus is a proven finisher with an impressive resume in the southern hemisphere, who we are excited to have join us at Leicester Tigers.

"He is a big, strong and hard-working player with the qualities we are looking for on the pitch and an impressive man who shares the values we have here at the club and are integral to what we are building in Leicester.

"He is a versatile player who adds depth to our outside-back ranks and will arrive in Leicester after finishing up with the Hurricanes, where he has been impressive throughout the Aotearoa competition.

"Kobus will add a point of difference out wide and brings with him valuable experience, which is important and exciting as we build this new look Tigers squad."

Van Wyk recently stated his desire to stay in New Zealand but added that, after initial conversations with Murphy and head coach Steve Borthwick, he was sold on being a part of the Tigers.

"They spoke to me about what they are building and that they were keen to have me part of the team going into the future," said Van Wyk.

"They want to get Leicester back up, competing again to win trophies and to have the club in contention, which I want to be a part of and contribute with the boys."

"I haven't played in Europe or the United Kingdom before so I am excited to meet the boys and get stuck in with them and for what is ahead for us in the future."

Jul 20, 2020, 16:47

Getting all the recognition outside of SA - playing great rugby for the Canes at the moment and their captain nogal and now off to the Tigers

This boy is a class act but completely wasted in SA being played on the wing

Silly guy should have stuck to 13 where the opportunities were far more accessible

Good enough to be a Bok, have always said that. I would definitely have played him at 13 where he would have challenged Kriel, Am or JVR for the Bok 13 spot

You need to Log in to reply.