Lions averaging nearly 29 years are captained by Alun.....

Forum » Rugby » Lions averaging nearly 29 years are captained by Alun.....

May 06, 2021, 18:33

....Geriatric Jones at 35. His team which will be 28.65 years when the series starts are.....er...experienced. The test team will probably be north of 29. So much for the youth theory......knowledgeable rugby men know that experience is crucial.

May 06, 2021, 19:02

That means age  is  the norm  for selection of teams?      

May 06, 2021, 20:13

Actually I’m being generous.....I assumed they would be exactly the year when the tests start, leaving off the months. Assuming on average players average 6 months beyond their birthdays that takes us to 29.15 years..  and the test team closer to 30.

That means experience is the norm for selecting teams.

May 07, 2021, 00:15

That won’t count for much if the Boks smack them 3 - 0

May 07, 2021, 09:40

Mozart

Experience without adequate performance  at the time of selection leads to destruction of teams.    Meyer tried it and the Japan disaster was the  inevitable result.   The Proteas present disaster is  largely due to selection based on experience only and failed players are protected  and not dealt with  on the normal basis  throughout international world sport - if hey fail to perform drop them from the team irrespective of their experience - end of story.

May 07, 2021, 17:19

Well that may happen Dave.....this team doesn’t look that impressive....Etzebeth if healthy and Snyman should dominate. 

May 07, 2021, 18:18

There are vulnerabilities in the Bok approach and favoured selections. 

May 07, 2021, 18:22

Omelette would that be the selections and approach that took the Boks from 7 to 1, winning the RC and WC, you dumb fuck?

May 07, 2021, 20:05

Dave for a moment I thought you said ‘dumb luck’.....sounds like!

May 07, 2021, 20:24

The approach that left the Boks with an inferior 2018 record to that of 2017, and a wonderfully fortuitous All Black meeting in the pool stages, not the knockouts and only two meaningful tests all year: one against an injury hit Welsh side, the other against their besst matchup of all the NH sides. Perspective Unteromlett, perspective. That, and double ranking points! 

May 07, 2021, 20:42

LMAO   - the absolute rugby idiot coming up with his BS again.     Showed total lack of rugby knowledge again.    Only he can say a team losing 33-6 performed  better than the winning team in his cray mind.        

May 07, 2021, 21:25

May 07, 2021, 21:26

Boy, were we kak?!!!;)

May 08, 2021, 00:30

You can huff and puff until you are blue in the face, facts remain facts, and remain, as always, irrefutable. Spare yourselves the tears and just embrace it. 

May 08, 2021, 00:31

Scott Barrett races clear for New Zealand's second try

May 08, 2021, 00:52

Ah that lie surfaces again - injury hit Wales is a lie

Yeah Moz it was dumb luck that Rassie took the Boks from 7 to 1 within 18 months winning the RC and WC in the process

Had nothing to do with the coach or how the team played - just dumb luck

I know omelette is stupid enough to put it down to dumb luck but come on Moz, when did stupidity set in?

May 08, 2021, 01:00

There is no evidence of Rassie coaching. Only Nienaber. Give credit where it is due. 

May 08, 2021, 05:30

I know Mozart seems to show signs of age dementia - but  you are not only showing signs of it - you have achieved it.    

May 08, 2021, 15:11

The trashing of Rassie and the Boks and of course Du Toit are major blunders.

Rassie, world coach of the year

Boks team of the year

Du Toit player of the year.

To argue against all that is very concerning. Are these guys losing their marbles? I mean even ou Saffex gets it. Hahahahahahhahaha

May 08, 2021, 19:54

Let me explain Dud Toit to you morons. Dud  isn’t a very skilled player.....running, tackling, passing and at the lineouts. He is bog ordinary.

But he doesn’t know that. Raised hearing  the great  Piet Spiere legend, Dud decided he was the reincarnation of the great man, albeit in lock form.

So Dud takes it all on himself ....first tackler/first receiver/ left wing. None of which he does particularly well....but there he is, always in the center of your screen.

He crowds out other more aggressive tacklers and runners. Take Kolisi the only reason to play him is as a runner....and a while back he was good at that. But when did we ever see Kolisi run at the WC....it was all Dud Toit and a cloud of dust. But he is tireless opine the commentators.

So the dumb fans and the equally dumb writers conclude Dud is the bee’s knees. Huge engine they mindlessly parrot. Just as they do for the equally toothless Stampkar, finally seen through by Gatland.

But all he’s doing is process running and process tackling. This man is a professional rugby player....that’s what he does, plays rugby. But he hasn’t even got the ambition or need to add offloading to his repertoire. It’s all effort.

How he is going to hold up as a flank as his mobility declines is hard to see. But we already know he is a perfectly ordinary lock with nowhere near the potential of a giant like Snyman

Dud is not incompetent Luke Watson. In the absence of our currently stellar bench of locks he might have been a Bok 5 of international standard. But not a great one.

Still why do that when your coach assigns you as first warrior in every conceivable activity especially when you yourself know you have a huge engine.

May 08, 2021, 21:04

Total lot of BS based on no facts about the Player of the Year in 2020.   Mozart makes this kind of factless posting and  expect people should find it real.   Funny  coming from a prejudiced idiot..  LOL                       

May 08, 2021, 23:33

‘Player of the Tear’ couldn’t put it better, you old Queen.

May 09, 2021, 04:30

Typing Error corrected thanks,    The attacks on Du Tout is absolute garbage expected from a prejudiced rugby illiterate.   

In  the meantime your addiction  to age and experience selection without reference to actual performances by players are highlighted again by the following examples:-

Novak Djokoic

After winning the Aussie Open (his only win this yea)  Djokovic did not play in any tournament for two months and then entered the Monte Carlo Clay Court Tournament as preparation for the Roland Garros tournament.   In the Monte Carlo tournament he was easily beaten in Round 2 by the unseeded Daniel Evans.   Djokovic knew that the next important tournament  where most of the ranked players  would play was to be in Barcelona - but instead of playing there he decided to play in the minor Belgrade tournament where he lost against Karatzev in the semifinal.   He now sees the Italian Open as the tournament where he can properly prepare for Roland Garross,   His clay court form is very poor and unless there is a miracle improvement the chances of winning in Rome is remote. 

Rafael Nadal

What can one say - if somebody told me that by middle May Nadal only won one tournament in  2021 I would not have believed him or her.  Nadal is horribly out of form this year    He was beaten in the Aussie Open quarterfinal by Medvedev, In Monte Carlo by Rublev and in Madrid by Sverev.    His only win this year in Barcelona  against Tsitsipas was due no doubt to match fatigue of Tsitsipas.    Will he make it in Rome?   I will not put a cent on that,  

What about commenting under the cricket section where you referred to experience as the only norm for selection as well and to Klaasen's captaincy as superb?    Are you going to repeat your  claim after Boucher himself pointed out the failure in captaincy I pointed out before leading to your "superb" fantasy?

Aging of players reduce performance ability and experience without performance  is a serious liability when it comes to team selection,        

May 09, 2021, 05:01

No given you have raised it here.....I’ll respond here and show just how addled you are:

May 07, 2021, 17:29

Semifinal match-ups

3      Dominic  Thiem   vs    5   Alexander Sverev

8      Matteo Berettinni  vs    Casper Ruud 

The fact is that the Bookmakers fancy -

*      Sverev to beat Thiem by a narrow margin; and  

*      Ruud to beat  Berettinni.

I was more impressed by the victory  of  Thiem when he played Isner than I was by Sverev beating Nadal.    The latter had despite  his win against  Tsitsipas  in the Barcelona Open - had a decidedly  poor record  this year,    He lost  in the quarterfinal in the Aussie Open againnt Medvedev - his next game was in the Monre Carlo Open on clay where he was beaten by Rublev on the quarterfinal - final  -   I think  that trend continued when Sverev beat him in the quarterfinal in Madrid.     The way  in which Mozart beat Tsitsipas was  probably due to match fatigue of Tsitsipas than any other reason,   Tsitspas' loss yesterday confirmed that he was suffering from match fatigue  - the same way Rublev showed in Barcelona.

May 09, 2021, 05:01

Obsessed. Now the old Perv has visions of me beating Tsitsipas....must have been my top spin backhand!

May 09, 2021, 17:00

Actually Tsitsipas was a bit tired I thought.....so I brought him in and used the lob over his suspect overhead. Once that started to crumble I forced him to hit the forehand pass on the run, another area where he is vulnerable.

I suppose some might say this was an upset but Tsitsi was very gracious in defeat. 

May 13, 2021, 00:57

His own words? Nope these were his own words:

“I will be available to represent Munster until 27 June 2021 when my contract expires, and, for International duty, until the end of the mid-year Test window.”

You need to Log in to reply.