Lions sign Cheetahs speedster Rabz Maxwane. A future Springbok candidate?

Forum » Rugby » Lions sign Cheetahs speedster Rabz Maxwane. A future Springbok candidate?

Jul 02, 2020, 15:03

Former Cheetahs speedster Sibahle "Rabz" Maxwane has joined the Lions on a two-year deal.

The 24-year-old wing joins the Johannesburg franchise after his three-year stay in Bloemfontein ended when his contract expired at the end of June.

Sport24 confirmed the deal with the player on Thursday, however, he was unable to elaborate on details.

The Dale College old boy finished the 2018/19 PRO14 season as the top try-scorer (14 tries), for which he was honoured at a glittering awards ceremony in Dublin last year.

It capped a productive breakthrough season in top-flight rugby, after his career had stalled at his former union, the Blue Bulls.

Maxwane's eight tries helped the University of Pretoria (Tuks) to the 2017 Varsity Cup title, defeating the University of Stellenbosch (Maties) in the final.

• Rabz Maxwane is the latest player to join the Lions, who lost big players in recent months.
  • The speedster joins from the Cheetahs whom he represented since 2017.
  • The 24-year-old was the PRO14's top try-scorer in the 2018-19 season.

Jul 02, 2020, 16:06

Interesting selection.   There is one thing that is not clear at all and that is the policy pertaining to the allocation of players laid down by SARU.  

I believe I read something a while ago,   As far as I know franchises has been reduced to 36 players and SARU would make sure that player allocations are such that each franchise have an adequate pool of players in each position.  

I think some of the signings are influenced by allocation of players and some would be re-allocated by SARU to reach that objective.  Granted some  franchises will have bigger budgets than others    The big buys of the better-to-do  Franchises will not be touched - but they may lose other players to franchises that need to cover some positions.

I think their is a much bigger thing going on here than the franchise signings only,   One would have to see  how the 36 positions are made up, but my guess would be roughly as follows:-

6 Props

3 hookers

4 Locks

6 Losies

3  Scrummies

3   Flyhalfs 

5  Centers 

6  Outside backs

If my prediction is right there will be a lot of movements  coming up before the next seasons started.

Jul 02, 2020, 17:19

He is the real deal this lad, bloody quick

Has the goods to be a Bok

Great signing by the Lions

You need to Log in to reply.