Lions Tour

Forum » Rugby » Lions Tour

Mar 23, 2021, 18:39

The management just released a statement saying the tour is going to go ahead in SA as planned, not England as has been suggested. I believe it will be played behind closed doors. 

Mar 23, 2021, 20:01

What a relieve! We need something like this badly...

Mar 23, 2021, 21:29

It looks like there would be no spectators regardless of it being in SA or UK - so perhaps they factored in that it does not matter if it is in the UK or SA. 

The SA variant seems to be the worst being more resistant to current vaccines.
Where will all the Lions squad quarantine upon their return? Ideally, they fly around Heathrow for 10 days before landing. '

Although the other option would be bringing in the SA squad to the UK, who themselves may be carrying the SA variant...

Mar 23, 2021, 22:11

It’s not definite that there will be no spectators

But thank goodness it is being held in SA and will be a proper tour

Mar 23, 2021, 22:54

They really seem quite sure there will be no spectators 

Mar 23, 2021, 23:24

No they don’t - they are leaving that decision till later and closer to the time which makes sense

Mar 24, 2021, 01:16

A decision made in March can easily be rescinded in May. The second round of the 2020 Players never took place because the tournament was cancelled overnight.

If there are no spectators the highest probability venue feels like the best decision. Home field advantage is minimal. Why not Oz if they offered to host the series..... conditions would be familiar to  the Boks.

The odds are about 50/50 it happens, but any spike in RSA will likely kill this series.

Mar 24, 2021, 09:44

It would appear that the decision to have it in SA is purely financial. Without it SA rugby apparently would not have survived

I’m guessing hosting it elsewhere would mean having to share the spoils

But without spectators there can be very little financial gain

Mar 24, 2021, 12:42

I hope that they can sort out our domestic teams. We need our guys to be battle hardened. The boks would also need at least 3 test before they go into playing the lions as it has been over a year since we last played a test match. 

I think  the bulk  of the squad would probably be European based, but Lomp and a few other like Esterhuizen are putting their hands up and doing really well. 

That said, not sure  what to make of the Lions squad or  which Nation is on  the up. Not a single 6 nations team dominated the tournament. Maybe Wales  but  they were lucky against some teams with shoddy calls going their way. 

But I'm glad it will be a  proper  tour, hopefully with 4  test matches. 

SA  need to get going on the Vaccine, SA needs to come off the UK  red travel list  and the UK must relax on Covid. 

So  far, with  the vaccine roll out it looks like we are on track. 

You need to Log in to reply.