Mchunu

Forum » Rugby » Mchunu

Mar 22, 2021, 12:22

I have been reading raving reviews about this youngster from the Sharks. The coach reckons he will be better than The Beast. He played 8 at school two years ago but is now a prop.

Has played 3 games off the bench and impressed with his scrumming and carrying - apparently scored a breakaway try in the last game

I have not seen him yet as there is no TV coverage of the current SA competition

Who has seen him and what are your thoughts

I’ve seen the other Mchunu prop who I think is with the Cheetahs - he looked pretty solid to but it’s not the same guy that is at the Sharks

Mar 22, 2021, 12:57

Looks good

Way too early to compare to Beast.

Fantastic ball carrier though.

Mar 22, 2021, 13:45

Chip how big is the lad? If he was an 8 two years ago is he built for prop?

Mar 22, 2021, 19:09

The Kid is 184 and ways about 112kg. He had a really good run, breaking the line, slip a tackle and out sprinted a wing. Probably would convert him to a 12 with that bulk and pace.

But it was warm up game, only played as a sub and he is already 23. So needs a full season of starting. Remember Ollie Le Roux. Think the kids is better build than Ollie but should be careful he doesn't end up as a super sub. 

Mar 22, 2021, 20:59

That is the wrong Mchunu - this youngster is only 20 or 21 - he was at school 2 years ago

Mar 22, 2021, 21:25

He scored one of the best tries I've ever seen from a prop the other day against the Lions. He looked like a big winger with the pace and strength he showed. Not sure about his scrummagng yet but as a ball carrier I haven't seen anything like him.

Mar 22, 2021, 21:32

I posted this on the "best prop run since Richard Bands" thread but I'll put it up again . . .

Mar 22, 2021, 22:19

Geez he is quick - thanks Rooi

I read that his scrumming was very good

Mar 22, 2021, 22:42

Kingkorn

Did you just say he “ways about 112kg?”

Saf. Just read a few articles about him. He is certainly someone to look forward to seeing more of.

Highly rated by many current and ex players.

And neither Mike nor Mozart have had anything bad to say about him.

A new age prop in my opinion.

Mar 23, 2021, 00:11

Oh  do stop prattling Chip-ou this kid is never going to be a test prop....he is simply not beefy enough. But he could  be a good open side forward or perhaps even a centre.

Mar 23, 2021, 00:19

117k is solid, but might need to get bigger unless his scrumming technique is exceptional. 

Khutha Mchunu

Rugby union player

Description

Description

Khuthazani Kingdom Mchunu is a South African rugby union player for the Sharks in Super Rugby and in the Currie Cup and the Sharks XV in the Rugby Challenge. His regular position is prop. Wikipedia
Born1 July 1997 (age 23 years), Greytown, South Africa
Weight117 kg
Height1.84 m , or 6.foot

Mar 23, 2021, 00:20

Flab Malherbe is 6.2, or 1.9 metre.
He is 10kg heavier. (after about 2 months of solid training). 

Frans Malherbe has had a productive lockdown! : rugbyunion

Frans Malherbe

South African rugby union player

Description

Description

Jozua Francois Malherbe is a South African rugby union player. He plays as a tighthead prop for the South Africa national team and the Stormers in Super Rugby. Wikipedia
Born14 March 1991 (age 30 years), Paarl, South Africa
Weight125 kg

Mar 23, 2021, 00:34

Tiny Dinosaur like arms on Malherbe...they wouldn’t look out of place on George Ford.

Mar 23, 2021, 00:44

That’s not the right Mchunu

That Mchunu was at the Sharks and is now with the Cheetahs I think - he is 23

They have different first names - the kid in the video is 21

Mar 23, 2021, 00:53

Rubbish Moz he is not small. Seen photos of him in training and standing next to The Beast - they are a similar size

He is only 21 and no lighter than 115kg

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Mchunu-and-Beast.jpg

Same width shoulders - Beast has bigger arms thanks to many more years in the gym

Mar 23, 2021, 01:00

Malherbe is the unsung hero in our Bok side

One of if not the best tighthead in the game

It’s a two horse race with Furlong

Mar 23, 2021, 02:03

Pace, strength and vision.....super try. Tx Rooi.

Mar 23, 2021, 02:28

Time will tell if he is the real deal, he is only 21

He has been getting big wraps in SA, Sharks coach saying he will be better than The Beast - I’m not convinced that was a clever call but time will tell

If he does work out, that pace is going to be a joy to watch

I’m a big fan of Ox Nche so it will take some effort to dethrone him

Mar 24, 2021, 01:20

If he is 6ft and 117kgs, with that physique he must have lead in his bones.The kid is a brilliant runner though.

Mar 24, 2021, 09:40

Disagree he looks like a unit

Easily could get to 120kg

Same shoulders as The Beast but slightly taller

Only 21 so has some gym growing to do

You need to Log in to reply.