Munster-Connacht game

Forum » Rugby » Munster-Connacht game

Jan 10, 2021, 15:15

I watched the game last night and watched out specifically for the performances of Stander and De Allende,   It was raining and conditions were difficult to play in.   

Stander was everywhere and he was outstanding in what he did,

Passing of the balls were rare in the case of De Allende,   His physical satrength is massive - the Comnnanacht egfenders were stretched and it takes more than two defenders to bring him down,   He also pushed the opposing players back at breakdowns and his defense were excellent,   Clear that whenever he played the opposition devote a close attention of De Allende in efforts to neutralize him.   In any event he had a very high work rate.

Jan 10, 2021, 16:44

As a Connacht fan, we never really looked like winning. Munster where not offering a whole lot on attack but there defense was comfortably on top, Connacht got nowhere in attack, like running into a break wall and Tadhg Beirne was again an absolute nightmare in terms of winning turn overs. Still Connacht kept themselves in the game close enough that if Munster made mistakes they could steal the win, and Munster did in getting two players yellow carded but alas Connacht decision making let them down with that scum at the end. Still Connacht had a number of key players out and where against a near full strength Munster so the result wasn't that bad, sadly the loss puts any chance of them overhauling Munster at the top of the conference.

Jan 11, 2021, 03:18

Not a very creative match.  O’ Mahony always impresses me and Farrell  looked like a real centre. Quince and Stamp both had decent games in this arm wrestle playing  against chaps a step down in physicality. But the lack of creativity reflects the struggles of Irish rugby.....it’s a long way from Soldiers’ Field.

Jan 11, 2021, 06:28

Sure - I agree with you.  The weather condition was poor and that normally restrict games to arm wrestles.   

Jan 11, 2021, 07:47

It’s more than that Mike. The Irish have been struggling getting the ball over the line for a while. The most potent weapon in this match was the maul. England suffers from the same thing.....witness the Springbok and recent French goal line stands. Apart from the French European rugby seems to be treading water.

Jan 11, 2021, 08:40

France brought in some fresh blood - eg that flyhalf of theirs who is only 21 years of age and was in 2019 the  World New Player of the Year.    France seems to benefit from the fact that they won  the 2018 and 2019 Under 20 RWC  and will have a good pool of players coming through he ranks to enhance the selection pool for the future 

The youngsters in the French team gave the English a run for their money in the recent Twickenham test.   Although  some all the team the French B-team it is likely that France has a good foundation to build on in future,     

I am not overly impressed by the English team at all despite the media hype and their victory over NZ in the 2019 RWC final.   To be quite frank I think that the All Blacks will have to rebuild drastically as well - they are not the team they used to be.

I see France as a serious competitor in the 2023 RWC.               

You need to Log in to reply.