My Bok team on 2019 form.

Forum » Rugby » My Bok team on 2019 form.

May 26, 2019, 10:54

Marx, Kisthoff, Beast

Snyman, PSDT

JL DP, v d Walt, Duane(D DP would be my pick)

4, 5, 6, 7, 8...All big, all athletic, all great at set piece and all good in open play. 

I like V D Walt for Bok skipper. He's got that aura about him. Pipe dreams.

Before anyone complains about Eben's absence. Refer to the Stormers performance without him yesterday. He's quickly becoming to the Stormers what Strauss was to the Bulls. Bigger in name than in value and his team is better without him.

Backs

Faf, Pollard, Nkosi, Mapimpi, Willie, Esterhuizen, Dyanti. Have to choose between playing Dyanti or Mapimpi at 13.

May 26, 2019, 12:45

I would also have a ood harsd look at the following:-

Wiese at lock and  Coetzee at 8.

My locks for the WC would be Etrzebeth, Snyman, De Jager and Wiese

My Loosies would be the following Du Preez twins,  Du Toit, Coetzee  and Kolisi.   ( Coetzee has played openside flank also).

Srummies- Faf,  Reinach and Jantjies

Flyhalfs  -  Pollard and Willemse.

Centers   -   De Allende, Kriel and Serfontein, Am

Outside backs  -   Mapimpi, Nkosi, Dyantyi, DH van der Merwe

Full backs -  Le Roux    

Please note the WC squad allows for the selection of 13 backline players of which 3 are scrummies,  The other players normally selected are 2 Flyhalf, 3 centers and 5 Outside backs.

That puts a question mark over the selection of Am and eliminate Eterhuizen - whose performances in tests and Super- Rugby has been highly questionable and was rarely good and often questionable. 

I know there will normally only be three locks in the squad - and I cannot see Erasmus ever leaving out De Jager and Etzebeth.   Wiese is making a huge claim on one  of the lock positions as he has also played as a loosie.   I think the lock picks would be Etzebeth, De Jager, Snyman and Wiese.

They need three hookers as well and chances are those will be Marx and Mbonambi and ????

Then there are 6 props to be picked -  probably Malherbe, Koch, Nyakane, Kitshoff, Beast, Schoeman

It is likely that Erasmus will take  along Vermeulen and Brits as well.   

May 26, 2019, 13:08

....notsoclevermike who are the baby bok players to watch out for at the U20s WC in Argentina...

just nine days to go..

are there any stand outs you know of.. the Aussies are talking up the next Folau as of Fijian//Italian heritage Mark Nawaqanitawase...the Aussies reckon they have the most impressive U20s side in years...could be the team to beat as they have already beaten NZ pre tournament....although England are also traditionally strong ...looking forward to it..

Group: AWLDPts
-
Argentina U20
-
Fiji U20
-
France U20
-
Wales U20
Group: BWLDPts
-
Australia U20
-
England U20
-
Ireland U20
-
Italy U20
Group: CWLDPts
-
Georgia U20
-
New Zealand U20
-
Scotland U20
-
South Africa U20

May 26, 2019, 14:47

Form is temporary...the WC always rewards class. But if I was to rip up history and go on current form, tempered with a bit of experience:

Willie.

Mapimpi.

Mapoe....he dominated Am yesterday.

Willemse....terrific defender, best step in the game.

Duhan van der Merwe.

Pollard.

Faf.

Beast.

Marx.

Koch....none of our tightheads can scrum.

Etzebeth.....still our best, by miles.

Snyman.....best forward offloader we have.

Kwagga......brilliant cover tackle on Nkosi.

J Coetzee......the ball hunter.

Vermeulen.....Deysel Dan was left behind yesterday.

Now there's a team with explosiveness.

May 26, 2019, 15:07

Koch?:D

May 26, 2019, 15:28

Mozart

What kind of explosiveness?   Popcorn popping up once every 20 minutes in games?      

May 26, 2019, 15:57

Tokkie your picks like EB Viljoen and Swiel aren't even popping up anymore anymore. Let's see an explosive Tokkie backline would be.....

Taute.

The Current Paarl Boys High right wing .

EB Viljoen....the gas man.

Vorster.

Van Wyk.

Swiel.

Schreuder.

Hahahaha....the seer has been an avid supporter of those players. What a comedian!

May 26, 2019, 16:30

Plums ... both Kitshoff and Beast are loosehead props.

You need a tighthead in the mix ... which will be ... ??

May 26, 2019, 16:32

I never picked anyone - I mentioned often enough to see how players develop - especially when on franchise level they replace the duds you always supported and showed that they were actually initially better than your duds.  When that improvement is not maintained I normally leave them out of any further discussion.   

The problem is I look at performance  not at experience of players the way you do.   You never accepted ever that the older players get the more their performance decline.   That is why you supported a string of players going to the WC of 2015 that was in fact totally unusable.

I have learned one thing - if you support selection of a player look very carefully at the actual performances of the player and stay as far as humanly possible from supporting the non-performers.     The biggest joke ever on site is your system of player evaluation and of concoctions and even lies you come up with to support your selections.    

LMAO 

May 26, 2019, 17:26

The real problem Mike is you are always polluting the Board with fantasies....stick with moz.

May 26, 2019, 17:35

Kitshoff would be my loosehead.

May 26, 2019, 17:35

Have a I gone off my trolley - I do not think so - so I cannot stick with you.  

May 26, 2019, 18:04

The thread is titled Bok team  Bok team on 2019 form and we have a few rugby noobs chucking in names like Willie le Roux and Eben Etzebeth.

LMAO!

Two players who make imaginary teams like this one on sheer hype alone . . . as they've both pretty much always done through their careers.

On his form in 2019 alone, Etzebeth doesn't make the extended squad let alone the starting XV. 

I don't read a lot about NH rugby but I haven't heard Willie's name in ages so I'm guessing all this talk of him being the Springbok fullback on this year's form is nothing more than more hype and wishfulness on the part of his praise singers.

This thread is about the form players of 2019. Le Roux and Etzebeth aren't even in the conversation.

1. Liza Gqoba
2. Malcolm Marx
3. Carlu Sadie
4. RG Snyman
5. Pieter-Steph du Toit
6. Siya Kolisi (capt)
7. Jean-Luc du Preez
8. Dan du Preez
9. Faf de Klerk (not that I've seen that form myself . . . but the alternatives are too horrible to contemplate.
10 Handre Pollard (only marginally ahead of Curwin Bosch)
11 Makazole Mapimpi
12 Andre Esterhuizen (who else?)
13 Lionel Mapoe
14 Dillyn Leyds
15 Damian Willemse

There's your form team of 2019. Not saying it's the Springbok team I'd choose but that's not what this thread is about.

My own team would differ slightly from that. Andre Esterhuizen might be the most dependable #12 we have at the moment but he's no world beater and I'd try to sneak Handre Pollard or Damian Willemse into this role with a bit of shuffling including Curwin Bosch in the mix. My combo would be #15 Bosch, #12 Pollard and #10 Willemse but you could switch Pollard and Willemse and I wouldn't complain too loudly. I'd love to see us play all three these talented players in the same backline.

May 26, 2019, 18:31

Bosch must certainly have played himself into the matchday squad. He can cover both flyhalf and fullback and is one of the best pole kickers in world rugby. He has playmaking ability, and pace to finish. 

The Boks now have three flyhalves in Pollard, Jantjies and Bosch. 

Willemse seems more suited to centre or fullback, his tactical kicking game is pretty average. I am not sure if he has the bulk for the inside centre to make front on tackles.

Willie Leroux is essential because he has the best pass out of all the SA backline players - and he is the best playmaker, as well as being a good finisher.

One of the Deysel Twins is enough, playing them both in the same back row is suicide. At least 2 of the loosies have to be good fetchers.

The allround game of Vermeulen is much better than the Deysel twins. 

Eztebeth is not a player who can play more than 20 games per season- at least at top form.

Centres is the problem area-, particularly inside centre. 
Delande or Carthuizen are both limited, and have more average games than good. 

With Jantjies and now Bosch good enough flyhalves, it would make sense to have Pollard at 12 for more game time. 

May 26, 2019, 19:08

Himmell SB

What rugby are you watching or are you like Mozart a one incident -  no even one game - addict.?   The answer is simply that Jantjies under pressure is a total loss and he is under pressure even on Super Rugby level.

Bosch was lost at full back for the Sharks and he made some really poor decisions at flyhalf.    Cannot see him playing on test level ever.   

May 26, 2019, 19:25

Hilarious they cant see the value of Etzebeth. Here's a hint, look at Stephanie last week and this week. He went from a confident player with Eben holding his hand, to an uncertain chappie who wouldn't even call his own number in the lineouts.

Without Etzebeth we don't tie the Saders....there's the Etzebeth difference, his sheer presence lifts the team. He is money in the lineouts and a great athlete with outstanding pace for a power forward. In a different league of 2 or3 locks in the universe.

Talk about stoopid!

May 26, 2019, 20:00

Once again, read the thread topic. On 2019 form, Etzebeth doesn't crack the extended squad, let alone the starting XV.

For the groupies, no-one is saying Etzebeth hasn't got some value. We're just saying that in this season - 2019 - he hasn't done one thing to warrant selection and on current form I can think of about 6 locks who merit selection ahead of him . . . and that's not counting Pieter-Steph du Toit who is not currently playing in his best position.

If it was me picking the Bok squad, I'd include Etzebeth. If I was picking the squad based purely on this season's form, he wouldn't be under consideration. This thread is about 2019 form.

May 27, 2019, 00:25

Then how the blue blazes does JL du Preez crack the squad, unless you are extrapolating. Right now if you go to RPI he ranks as the 11th blindsider in the tournament on the RPI index.

And how can you rank Stephanie as our form 5, when he has played 7 most of the tournament, if you are not extrapolating.

If you want to be literal the form locks are Botha and Snyman.

May 27, 2019, 07:05

There's no surprises in my choice of lock pairing, its either Etzebeth and Botha or Snyman and Botha. I would have Bosch as the backup flyhalf and Willemse at inside centre, at least it brings speed to a sterile backline. You can't suck water out of stone and as things stand De Allende and Esterhuysen are stones.....slow, tactless stones who offer no hope.

May 27, 2019, 07:34

Plums ... ok, so you either want Beast to play at 3 ... or you think it's best we don't put a tighthead in the mix.

Seems you know as little about rugby as you do Christianity, Space and Alienology.

May 27, 2019, 08:28

Mozaert

Just another question - how the hell did you get to the following statement and have you got ANY proof to support it:-

"He went from a confident player with Eben holding his hand, to an uncertain chappie who wouldn't even call his own number in the lineouts."

Is that another lie invented by you?

Secondly - Etzebeth did not play this weekend and Wiese performed better in one game than Etzebeth did in all Super Rugby games combined this year - so was Wiese holding the hand of Du Toit this week?

Is it not time that you get over your childishly stupid  statements on rugby issues?    

May 27, 2019, 10:59

CC

Why should Kitshoff not play at loosehead?

Beast, Marx, Kitshoff - That's our best front row right now. 

I might even prefer for Beast to start and Liza to take over towards the end of the first half. 

What part is confusing you?

Does nobody else here rate Van Der Walt from the Sharks? Guy is a warrior.

May 27, 2019, 11:14

I like Phillip van der Walt but I'm not sure he's better than Jean Luc du Preez as a blindside flanker and I doubt Rassie will pick a loose trio without an opensider. It seems to work okay for the Sharks though (for the first half of games anyway) and van der Walt would be a good selection in a Bok squad as backup to Jean-Luc.

May 27, 2019, 11:25

Common Plum. You have to be kidding me.

Kitshoff playing at 1 (loosehead) is not the problem.

Beast is a loosehead too. Surely you know that?

Where is your tighthead or do you seriously think that Beast would do well at 3?

There is a very big difference between the two.

Oh ... and no ... Beast is not our best loosehead ... not by a very long shot. He's a quota.

May 27, 2019, 12:38

Beast, Kitshoff are both looseheads - as is Gqoba.

Thomas Dutoit is also a loosehead, even though he has been playing tighthead in many games.
Coenie Oosthuizen is another loosehead, playing at tight head as this is less pressure on an old neck injury.  

We seem to produce more international standard looseheads than tight heads.
John Smit at one stage even played tighthead to make a position for Bismarck

The tighthead options are
Flab Malherbe, Sadie, Wilco Louw.

May 27, 2019, 12:51

Wow ... did you look that up all yourself ... or did you get someone to help you, SharkShit?

Very impressive, I must say!!

May 27, 2019, 13:29

Ronnie Coleman created this list. 

May 27, 2019, 13:29

Ronnie Coleman created this list. 

May 27, 2019, 13:35

Don't forget Serge . . . Serge is now Klown's official all time favourite.

LMAO!

Who would have thought the most homophobic poster on this forum was making all that noise from inside the closet?

May 27, 2019, 14:54

haha

Well I guess this draws a line under my front row knowledge. 

;/

May 27, 2019, 15:29

I'm sure Plum made a typo with Beast. He meant Trevor Nyakane as his tighthead.

ref:  "Beast, Marx, Kitshoff - That's our best front row right now".

May 27, 2019, 15:39

Nykana is also a loosehead, but he can swing on both sides- as he is almost as good at tighthead as loose head. 

This should make him a certainty for the Bok matchday squad, probably a bench player to cover both positions. 

I believe Nykana was first choice tighthead at the start of the last Bok season - but he then got injured. 

I am a fan of Nykana as he makes a contribution outside the scrum, and tackles people backwards at the rucks. He has had a few games when his side of the scrum (when at tighthead) gets buckled- but he also has some games when he totally dominates the set piece.

May 27, 2019, 15:52

Nyakane just needs to lean on his opponent and we'll get a right shoulder.

No discipline ... a food addict.

Not Goats material.

May 27, 2019, 16:05

Would be nice if that were the case Bliks :(

May 27, 2019, 16:45

Don't worry Plum, some think that 4 and 5 is also always interchangeable.:D

May 27, 2019, 16:53

... yes and others think Abraham married his sister Abraham ...

May 27, 2019, 17:16

His half-sister Abraham, who was also his niece and cousin. Beeno was the one who informed us about this.

May 27, 2019, 18:03

Poor old carbuncle.....striving to be a muscled man, a bag of walnuts in a condom as somebody once aptly described these grotesquely overdeveloped queens.

May 28, 2019, 09:17

That's funny, Mozart!

I don't think they're gross at all.

I am glad that you're happy with your narrow little shoulders and your weedy 8 inch arms.

That's not for me.

Being happy in your own skin is all that counts in the end.

May 28, 2019, 10:14

"I don't think they're gross at all. "

No you don't, we get that. The opposite is true. You even have an "all time favourite"!

LMAO!

Can anyone else hear a really loud knocking sound? It sounds like it's coming from the inside of a closet . . . someone really wants to get out! 

May 28, 2019, 12:06

Indeed. He's stunning.

Love to be built like that.

Tell me ... does you hairy belly hang out at the bottom of your t-shirt?

On second thoughts ... I don't want to know.

May 29, 2019, 00:12

Plum you are showing plenty of rugby ignorance here. You don’t have a tight head

vd Walt is average

Playing Mapimpi or Dyantyi at 13 is a bloody joke

Best side would be: 15. Willie 14. Nkosi 13. Kriel 12. de Allende 11. Dyantyi 10. Pollard 9. Faf 1. Kitshoff 2. Marx 3. Louw 4. Etzebeth 5. Snyman 6. Kolisi 7. JL du Preez 8. Marcel Coetzee 16. Aker 17. Pierre Schoeman 18. Thomas 19. PSDT 20. Dan du Preez 21. Reinach 22. Jantjies 23. Serfontein

May 29, 2019, 11:31

CC

Tell us, did you have to kill him just because he rejected you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22VmzX35pvM

You need to Log in to reply.