My confession

Forum » Rugby » My confession

Jun 20, 2019, 16:29

I have watched a total of four Super Rugby games this season. I still love rugby, but I find there are a million other things that I'd rather be doing on a Saturday morning, like sleeping, or riding my bike or taking the dogs for a walk. Same shit in the afternoon. Is it just me, or has Super Rugby lost its shine? 10 or 15 years ago I'd move heaven and earth just to get in front of the TV or get to the stadium. I just couldn't be bothered anymore. I am not sure if it is the monotony of the NZ dominance or the insufferable conference system, but I just don't feel the fire anymore. 

I'll still make a fair effort to watch international matches, but Super Rugby is just bleh! As for Currie Cup. I don't watch it at all anymore. 

Am I alone? 

Jun 20, 2019, 16:39

I usually only watch games that are shown on Saturday afternoon, and always contain a SA side.  So I probably watch about 10%-15% of the games.

Jun 20, 2019, 23:28

What a loser

Jun 21, 2019, 03:08

I watch local derbies....top NZ teams vs our teams....and rarely NZ derbies. I would never watch the Brumbies vs the Tahs.

As alternatives I watch golf, cricket, tennis, F1, soccer, athletics.....or the financial channel.

There's a lot of stuff out there and Super Rugby is long and often played without passion.

Jun 21, 2019, 07:46

Yes, I agree Chippo. He has much to say bout everything ... and in everything he's as ignorant as they come.

Jun 21, 2019, 08:48

It is surely not I that you lambaste so CC? If so, you can count yourself off my Christmas card list! 

You too Chips, what have I done to offend ya'll? I feel so sad to my stomach....wait...nevermind. Its just gas! ;)

Jun 21, 2019, 09:35

bluebok, as I've told you before, you'd be more invested in the Super Rugby comp if you played Fantasy Rugby.

I don't watch all the games from start to finish but if there's a game on while I'm at home or at work then I'll at least have it on in the background and if I hear the commentators getting excited then I'll quickly check to see if one of my Fantasy players has scored a try or something.

Even on a Saturday afternoon when the local games are on I'll generally be flicking between channels watching rugby, football, cricket, golf, F1, cycling, racing or whatever else is on so it's not often I watch an entire game from start to finish . . . but I'm always keeping an eye on the scores for my Superbru predictions and Total Rankers results as well as who is doing the scoring for my Fantasy teams.

Jun 21, 2019, 10:25

No of course not, BlueBok.

You're not an ignorant idiot.

Jun 21, 2019, 10:31

You have to be selective. Eg always try to watch the Mighty Stormers! 

Jun 21, 2019, 10:48

The fan base as a whole has lost interest in the game. One can see that by the empty stadiums.

Most watch at home and only if they have nothing better to do.

Our talented boys are all chasing the dollar and why not? There is no future for them here. Not with the rate at which the quota is taking over everything.

Then there's guys like Swys, Fleck and Du Preez pretending they know how to coach a rugby team.

The fun of it all is no longer there to attract attention. One doesn't even get upset these days when your team's thumped by a nobody ... at home.

Look at our cricket. Who in his right mind would waste time watching that sheeat?

Jun 21, 2019, 12:07

It could be worse, you could be confessing to having pictures of Ronnie Coleman in a pink g-string......  CleanCutt came out of the closest to the board around 6 weeks ago.....

Image result for ronnie coleman g-string

Jun 21, 2019, 14:29

So the way I see it...

The new Super Rugby format has done more harm than good.

For the average viewer, the system is incredibly convoluted and confusing.

Friends of mine who were avid Lions and Stormers supporters, just don't have the stomach for Super Rugby anymore simply because they dont like this nonsenseical format.

The introduction of the Sunwolves and to a lesser extend the Jaguares (who don't really have a massive following) has diluted the competition further.

In other words... go back to the old format... everyone plays everyone... 12 or 14 teams... and people will start watching again.

The standard of rugby is still incredible.

The kiwi teams are from another planet!

In saying that, SA still possess some monster trucks that provide plenty of entertainment.

Aussie is there to make up numbers most of the time.

Long live super rugby.

Jun 21, 2019, 14:42

The factors mitigating SA Rugby being successful are enormous. 

Only by playing in the NH can enough money be earned to keep our players. 

Jun 21, 2019, 15:36

Beeno, the global game needs to be restructured.

Otherwise, much like cricket, there will only be 2 or 3 countries that benefit financially from the game.

Jun 21, 2019, 19:00

Flash our currency is worth next to nothing. We can't keep our players in the country. We have over 300 professional rugby players overseas. 

Then there is no firm commitment to merit. 

The coaching is poor and our best coaches apart from Rassie are not coaching. 

Fine go a restructure the game but our own house needs sorting out. We can't compete when every year there is an exodus of players overseas. How many players have the Lions lost. 

Wait to after the RWC. We will start all over again.

To sort Super Rugby out have 12 teams. 4 from SA and Nz and three from Oz and include the Jaguares. 

Have tours. Used to love touring Nz or Lions coming here etc. 

But my big point is the only way to keep our players is to join the NH competitions. 

Jun 30, 2019, 02:11

You didn't miss much Blue. I've watched every game, and it was difficult to stomach from week 2. The quality of the rugby is poor. Passing, line integrity, weak ruck presence aside from the Canes, poor set pieces. The last time I watched the entirety of a Super rugby season was in 2012. I still have many of those games on disc, I didn't feel like retaining any of this season's games. The difference in quality between the two seasons is truly alarming. The atmosphere was much better in 2012. Whichever we you slice it, the drive to artificially engineer the game and reformat SH rugby has failed spectacularly. This a has contributed significantly in the rise of the NH sides, now pushing three of the SH big 4 down the pecking order. Looking at the past Bok vs All Black tests, even New Zealand are a lesser side than they used to be. It'll be interesting to see how the game fares at the World Cup. The IRB may be successfully growing the game in non-tradition rugby nations, but the core of rugby's power base seems to be eroding. At least the Nations Championship proposal has been scraped, if only we could reverse specific elements of the ELVs which have regressed the game tactically and in terms of skills. I believe it's too late to undo the damage of the Super tinkerings. 

Jun 30, 2019, 13:40

Dispite ALL this we will all be glued to the screen to watch the tests and then the RWC. 

At some point the penny will drop and perhaps then we can start to improve. 

Rooitwit you need to find the deeper purposes of life. 

Jun 30, 2019, 14:32

Maybe. I don't like to watch rugby as much as I used to. I only followed the EOYT to fully evaluate the entire season. I only watched the Super rugby games to better asses the newer players on the scene. I didn't necessarily enjoy it. I'll see how I feel about the WC. If I missed it, it wouldn't phase me one bit. The biggest reason why I would follow this test season in its entirety is because of all of the work I put in thus far, to see it through to the end. More than anything, I'm thankful I'm not a player. To be subjected to this daily would be soul destroying. 

You need to Log in to reply.