You need to LOG IN to reply.

My team of the week

Forum » Rugby » My team of the week

Mar 10, 2019, 21:37

15. Gelant 14. Skosan 13. Kriel 12. Vorster 11. Specman 10. Jantjies 9. v Zyl 1. Smith 2. Aker 3. Sadie 4. Liebenberg 5. Jenkins 6. Schoeman 7. Tshituka 8. du Preez

Some close calls, Similane at 13, Pollard at 10, Schreuder at 9, Nyakane at 3, Marx at 2, Herbst at 4, Vermeulen at 7

Mar 11, 2019, 01:27

We need to see more of Simelane. There were several fumbles/knock ons and a few instances of a lack of force in contact. He was almost never tested defensively. He did look good in space. One wild offload suggests naivety. We'll see how it goes.

I can't see past Esterhuizen at 12. That was a big game under intense pressure. He didn't fold.

Duane at 8. 

Ivan a step up from Papier, but I'd still go Schreuder. 

Mar 11, 2019, 04:20

Well - I have stated clearly that I believe Simelane was the best  13 on display on Saturday - sop lets look at the stats to see whether the stats confirmed my point of view  or those of the the demented Silly Billy or others:-

Simelane           Kriel              Am     

Tries scored                                               1                      1                  0 

Try Assists                                                 0                      1                  0

Balls passed                                                3                     3                  4

Balls carried                                              14                     9                  6

Distance gained                                       121                   57                24

Clean Breaks                                               3                     2                  1

Defenders Beaten                                        7                     3                  6

Off-loads                                                      3                     1                 0

Tackles made                                                2                    7                 2

Tackles missed                                              0                    2                 2 

Balls knocked on                                           2                    1                 1

Penalties  conceded                                       0                    1                 1 

I highlighted those aspects where the above players were better than the potential competitors.  on that basis the situation is as follows:-

Simelane                    8

Kriel                           4

Am                             2

There are two aspects becoming clear based on the above stats, namely -

*     that the alleged straightening of the line by Esterhuizen is another of the fairy tales and myths Silly Billy is famous for since Am and other players did not benefit clearly from it; and

*     that looking at the above it confirms that on the day Simelane was buy some distance statistically and in fact on the field of play the better player of the three listed,

Next time it would be better for the witless and clueless immature fool Silly Billy not to get involved in discussions by knowledgeable people,  But then in his case once a silly fool - always a silly fool. .  

Mar 11, 2019, 04:57

Simelane ran into open space. He had two very long runs which bloated his stats. Both without a defender to challenge him. Kriel played in a much more physical game where space wasn't as easily found or given. In fact, Krie; created space, unleashing the wings. When did we see that from Sim? 

Interesting you didn't highlight Sim's low tackle count. 13 is the most important defensive position on the field, but only has 2 tackles? What was he doing? 

The Sharks backs were, again, on the backfoot most of the game. 

As for André? Yes, they did benefit. They got a try out of his strong, secure and direct carries. He handled himself against swarms of defenders. Every other centre in South Africa would have been turned over every time. His passing under duress, which included a good offload, was excellent and was excellent chasing kicks. Offered a strong boot with variation. 

The centre pair of the weekend: André and Kriel. There is no way to argue against this. 

Note the multiple fumbles/knock-ons by Sim. Some wayward unpressured passing. What will he do against a strong aggressive line under pressure? 

Mar 11, 2019, 06:38

Silly Billy

Misrepresentations do not help = dim one.   A player making three line breaks and beating 7 defenders does not  only have  open space carries.   Major foot in the mouth disease here,   I did funny dimness did not say that Simelane  was the best tackler insofar as defense is concerned. He made less tackles - but unlike Kriel and Am he did not miss a single tackle, 

The fact is that Andre made no really good carries and he carried the ball 8 times making a total of 15 meters - ie less than 2 meters per carry indicates he basically was ineffective,    He was one of the players who carried the balls in traffic before Du Preez scored a try,  He did not omn his own made the try and he was not credited with a try assist - other than by you/  In one of his carries in traffic Esterhuizen was tackled 5 meters out while the Sharks was on attack and he promptly lost possession and the opportunity was lost.  Bbasically Esterhuizen was non=existent in the game.   Only extreme prejudiced BS can cone from you as expected,    

What will Simelane do a strong aggressive line under pressure?   Watch out - he is likely to do better than Kriel; and Am do under such circumstances.   Was the Jaguares who beat the Bulls and Blues in  previous games not a strong  aggressive line - Silly Billy?  

Two knock-ons by Simelane became the norm - both Kriel and Am made one each.  That wa one of the few issues where the other two players were slightly better than Simelane - but only a BSter like you would make that a real issue.           

Mar 11, 2019, 09:20

Ou maAaAikie fancies himself these days as a spotter of talent.:D

How anybody could be touting the pedestrian Vorster or Schreuder is baffling

The sharks 15 out played Gelant. Pollard was of course the best fly half giving a masterclass. 

Mar 11, 2019, 09:32

Beenkop anything relating to rugby coming from your mouth one has to take with a pinch of Vim!!

Mike if you rely on stats alone you should not be commenting on the game.

Similane was good but Kriel was better. He had more of an impact on the game, scoring plus setting up tries. His defence was very good as well.

Aug - Vermeulen over Dan du Preez is a joke. That call has childish bias written all over it.

Mar 11, 2019, 11:51

Dave

No I do not relay on Stats alone.   I said that both Simelane and Kriel was very good - but on the day I prefer Simelane.   I was just posting the stats to expose the BS Silly Billy writes on site.

In fact I am very happy to see an understudy for Kriel in the form of Simelane emerging.   I have zero faith in players like Am and Mapoe.   You should noe that Silly Billy and Mozart is already positioning themselves for attacks on Simelane..

The other issue is that I believe that we need to look wider to see what I really available at inside center,   Silly Billy is onto Andre Esterhuizen - but he ahs produced very little of substance in Suiper Rugby thus far,   I think he is punting Esterhuizen because his pet hate is De Allende.

I personally think that you should have a look at Du Plessis, Visser and JC Pretorius in the Sevens - our future no 12 stars could come from those three.

Mar 11, 2019, 13:16

Disagree on Am he is class, always looks busy, has good pace and step and is physically up there.

Mapoe is past his best he was good in his prime.

Similane looks a great prospect needs a bit of gym work to provide the finished product. My back up to Kriel at 13 would be Janse v Rensburg, I would not play him at 12.

We have no problem at all at 12 in fact the opposite we have options to burn. de Allende has been in good form like Kriel for the past 18 months. Jan Serfontein is still our best and playing good rugby for Montpellier. Rassie needs to wake up to this fact.

I also like the look of Tertius Kruger at 13 of Cheetahs who was the only star in the Griquas side. EW Viljoen is good at 13 as well.

Big fan of Esterhuizen, as I am of Odendaal, Vorster, Frans Venter and Louw. Would like to see more of Jackson at the Bulls and du Plessis at the Stormers

Mar 11, 2019, 13:20

I don't know why Lukhanyo Am gets so much bad press on this forum. He's a very good player and he's pushing Jesse Kriel hard for the Bok #13 jersey.

Mar 11, 2019, 13:23

Exactly Rooi he is bloody good

Mar 11, 2019, 13:24

Dave 

From the start of Super Rugby I missed out on NH Rugby - what I did know si that Van rensburg has not played for months - is he back playing?

I have some real problems with Amla's defense and he looks very busy doing near to nothing in fact.

Mar 11, 2019, 13:26

Yes he is back playing for Sale and made team of the week last week.

Complete bullshit re Am both on defence and with ball in hand. He is a class act. He is not good, he is great

Mar 11, 2019, 13:27

"I have some real problems with Amla's defense and he looks very busy doing near to nothing in fact."

Ou Maaik, should that not be posted in the cricket section?

Mar 11, 2019, 13:45

I can't think of anyone here other than Mike who does not rate Am as at least a decent, capable 13.

Mar 11, 2019, 14:03

Klown and Moffie have also done some Am-bashing.

Mar 11, 2019, 14:04

Pakie

I think Am is a good SR player on franchise level - he has serious problems in making a step up to Springbok rugby - where his defense is seriously suspect and it is clear why Erasmus preferred Kriel to AM at 13.  .   

Mar 11, 2019, 14:12

Am's defence was better than Kriels. He wasn't a liability on defence. Kriel became the starter after Am got injured in Wellington. You have nothing to support your claims against Am. Zero. 

Mar 11, 2019, 14:19

IMO, at this stage Kriel is still a wee bit ahead of Am, but both are only place holders till the real Bok 13 steps forward...same can be said for whoever is wearing the 12 jersey theses days.

Mar 11, 2019, 17:00

Two tips for that well known mampara Saffex. Dave Pollard is a better test fly half than Jantjes. Secondly Am is only a great in your overheated imagination. Get a grip Dave??

Mar 11, 2019, 21:24

Draad name a better test 13 than Kriel post Danie Gerber?

Beenkop I’m all for Pollard for starting as he has the hard edge Jantjies does not. But Jantjies is more gifted.

If you don’t see the good in Am you are a rugby idiot

Mar 12, 2019, 00:20

Kriel has improved as an outside centre. At first, he was just a utility back. He seemed to learn under Mitchell. 

AM is a better distributor, but Kriel is probably a better runner. Pretty close between the two of them. 

I am also concerned about Amla's defence :). I am yet to see him make one tackle. 

Mar 12, 2019, 04:19

A better 13 post Gerber? Fourie. My word, we've come along way since the 80s and early 90s. We've produced many players better than Gerber. 

Mar 12, 2019, 07:52

It really is a very sad day when we start rating mediocre players such as Am as "greats" ... he is by a long shot not deserving of that kind of praise.

Give me a break!!

Mortlock and O'Driscoll are players that I would refer to as "greats" ... Danie Gerber too was a "great".

Am is nothing more than a quota ... and average wannabe ... destined for Bok colours simply because we're forced to get the colour mix right.

He doesn't have an innovative bones in his body ... has no upper body strength ... doesn't possess a good step ... hardly any pace to write home about ... and is an average defender not capable of hitting anyone back. Grabbing someone and hanging on for dear life is not what I'd call a good defender.

Jaque Fourie was a solid 13 ... but he was no Gerber.

When one looks at the best 13's the world's ever seen, and puts a list of 10 names together, Fourie won't feature ... at all. Gerber on the other hand will easily make the top 3.

Poepol at his best again. 

Mar 12, 2019, 08:26

No, I really don't think there's been anyone as good as Gerber in SA. The closest world wide was probably O'Driscoll.

Mar 12, 2019, 08:27

"We've produced many players better than Gerber"

Wehe . . . let me guess . . . Zane Kirchner?

Mar 12, 2019, 08:52

Now we are back at the idiot stakes with Silly Billy being 50 meters ahead in a 100 meter race.

Remember the classics of this idiot:-

*     Morne Steyn is on par with Dan Carter as a flyhalf  *

*     Kirchner a better player than Folau; and

*     by his arguments elsewhere and above Steyn, Esterhuizen and Am all better centers than Gerber.

*    Mozart started the silliness in this case and Silly Billy carried it further

CC - you cannot call the moron "poephol" - it is an insult to a poephol to call him that.     Let me be quite clear he will try and lie his way out of it,   He always does - he is after all a habitual liar when it comes to rugby,  That is why I took him on about the modern flat backline play the Springboks played under Meyer - it was a total lie he invented nullified by Meyer himself..    Whenever in a corner he lies and lies and lies.   And he is in a corner here - believe me.

After years on site he became a protegee of Mozarrt - who used him to be the idiotic one to raise issues Mozart wanted to raise but it would be embarrassing for him to do so.  He then when cornered vanished from site.  He was Gonzo the Great (better known as Bonzo the Ape), aristocat, Sun Tsu (better known as Dim Sun)and a dozen other user names.   Every time  he get cornered because of rank idiocy on site - he vanished from site and come back under another user name.   He last year re-appeared on site as Lurker and  he wrote rubbish about Folau and got caught out as using other user names in the past repeating the idiocy he wrote previously about Folau,   He was not on site for 6 months before he changed his user name again.

I would not be surprised if the moron change his user name again - but he is so stupid he will rush into idiocy by repeating his previous idiocies in record time and betrays what he was in the past - he cannot help it.        

Mar 12, 2019, 09:01

The game was different when Gerber played it. It's the same with Lomu. 

They would be pretty average now. Defensive structures have come a long way since the 80s and early 90s.

So while we can say they they were great players, they were great for their time.

Mar 12, 2019, 09:01

Haaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaaa ... indeed.

He conjures as far as goes.

To think that some refer to him as the MVP on this board.

What a joke.

He doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

I wonder when we can expect his match 23? Do you think it'll be soon?

Mar 12, 2019, 09:16

"So while we can say they they were great players, they were great for their time."

xavi, that goes without saying. Of course the game has evolved and players are bigger and stronger than they were 3 decades ago. Doesn't mean Danie Gerber wasn't a great player. Next thing we'll be saying Frik du Preez wasn't a great player because he's small by today's lock standards. 

You can only judge rugby greatness by the extent to which a player dominated his contemporaries and Danie Gerber was head and shoulders the best outside centre in the world for at least a decade.

I think it was Klown who mentioned Brian O'Driscoll and Stirling Mortlock as other #13s in the Danie Gerber league and I'd agree with that. Danie Gerber is one of the top 3 outside centres of all time.

Mar 12, 2019, 09:17

Nonsense ... the basics of rugby remains the same. 

Stepping a man hasn't changed at all ... tackling a man low and hard is still the preferred technique today ... throwing a dummy hasn't been replaced by anything new today ... crashballing ... offloading in the tackle ... putting your outside man into space ... etc ... haven't changed at all.

Although ... now that I think about it ... Kriel's tendency to head hunt when tackling an opponent has actually taken the sport back 200 years. No advancement there I'm afraid.

I would have Gerber in his prime at 13 without a second thought.

Mar 12, 2019, 09:19

CC

I am waiting for the moron to come up with a match 23 for the Springboks and also for the all-out support Mozart will give him.

Remember Louw ahead of Du Toit is a must - Mostert ahead of De Jager - Frans Steyn ahead of any other inside center we can think of -  Am ahead of Kriel - Piemaar ahead of Faf.

We have seen this in the past -  I say again don't mention arse when it comes to Silly Billy - you surely don't want to insult an arse that way.      

Mar 12, 2019, 09:29

Ag no, Mike ... you're taking all the fun out of it.

I wanted to change his name to Doos ... but that too suddenly seems out of place.

Mar 12, 2019, 09:36

:D:D:D

You need to Log in to reply.