You need to LOG IN to reply.

New format for the Tri-Nations - Championship

Forum » Rugby » New format for the Tri-Nations - Championship

Apr 09, 2019, 14:31

Looks like they consider changing the 4 nations to tour based with mid week games.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/broadcasters-push-radical-shake-up-of-super-rugby-rugby-championship-20190408-p51c1d.html

Apr 09, 2019, 20:53

So it looks like by shortening the the super rugby has prompted them to get rid of the home and away 1 off games. I definitely think it is a step in the right direction. 

I like the the idea of having the all blacks  A team play against our best super rugby sides.

It should also be much better for our team as it allows the wider group to get game time on tour. 

But I'm not sure how the tour will be manage given that the boks will have to play 2 tours abroad. 

Away?

1. Tue - SA A vs Crusaders
  2. Sat - Boks vs All Blacks
  3. Tue - SA A vs Hurricanes 
  4. Sat Boks vs All Blacks
Home?
  1. Tue - Stormers vs Aus A 
  2. Sat - Boks vs Aus
  3. Tue - Bulls vs Aus A
  4. Sat - Boks vs Aus 
What to do with Argentina, they don't have more than one super rugby team and I would rather have either NZ or Aus tour SA than them. They don't draw any crowds. 

One test home and away?
  1. Tue - Tucoman vs SA A
  2. Sat - Argetina vs Boks 
  3. bye week
  4. Tue - Sharks vs Arg A
  5. Sat - Boks vs Arg

Apr 09, 2019, 23:57

That is a great idea having our Bok A side play against Super rugby sides - gives the Bok coach more players to look at, an opportunity to try combinations - it’s perfect.

Also the change to the Super rugby comp is long overdue - watching SA sides play each other home and away is boring.

All the sides playing each other is the only way - it’s the only true test

Apr 10, 2019, 00:15

Would love to see my Bok side of say:

15. Willie 14. Nkosi 13. Kriel 12. Serfontein 11. Dyantyi 10. Pollard 9. Faf 1. Kitshoff 2. Marx 3. Wilco 4. Etzebeth 5. PSDT 6. Kolisi 7. JL du Preez 8. Marcel Coetzee

16. Aker 17. Pierre Schoeman 18. Thomas du Toit 19. Lood 20. Jaco Kriel 21. Reinach 22. Jantjies 23. Janse v Rensburg

play in the same week as a Bok A side made up of say:

15. Gelant 14. Duhan vd Merwe 13. Am 12. de Allende 11. Ismiel 10. Willemse 9. Papier 1. Kebble 2. Mbonambi 3. Sadie 4. Jenkins 5. RG Snyman 6. Kwagga 7. Jacques du Plessis 8. Dan du Preez

16. Dweba 17. Nyakane 18. Malherbe 19. JD Schickerling 20. Ackerman 21. Schreuder 22. du Preez 23. Esterhuizen

Apr 10, 2019, 17:10

I like your side Saffex, really good mix of talent. 

The A side will definitely allow black players a chance to play against to opposition. 

This would mean that they would at least get 2 games + maybe a test to show their worth. 

But by having an A team that play on a frequent basis means that SA don't have to give out silly caps to fringe players. 

I think the Junior boks were used to nominate them as our second team which prevent said players from being able to play for a foreign team. 

But it will give Rassie a chance to allow the like Nacho etc to get exposure, but also not to disrupt our currie cup teams because the players in the squad never got any game time for 3 months but doesn't fit in anywhere. 

I think Rassie had a hand in WP losing the Currie cup last year. Dobson basically admitted that he couldn't select the team he wanted. 

Apr 10, 2019, 19:38

Apr 10, 2019, 19:41

All the despair of SH rugby. Multiplication of games in hope of increasing revenues.

Squads selections will overlapse, there will be the smaller and bigger games. Despair.

Apr 10, 2019, 20:34

I still think caps need to be handed out in order to secure the services of players.

Playing for SA A means you can still qualify and play for another country.

Given how easily other countries can pinch our players and given the fact that financially it makes sense for many of our players ply their trade overseas the Bok coach has a right to hand out Bok caps freely. It cheapens the cap but it’s the only way to combat the pillaging of our players at test level.

Apr 11, 2019, 06:34

That is when training decent players from SA quota populations would have come handy. They are less likely to be drafted by NH.

Termination of rugby in SA comes. Time to repent, the end is nigh.

Apr 11, 2019, 10:00

So, Dave ... you want to cap players merely to prevent them from furthering their rugby careers elsewhere?

Wow!!

That's a little selfish ... especially when they were being deliberately overlooked to make room for the quotas like Kolisi, Paige, Bongi and Jantjies.

That's absurd and totally unfair. 

Apr 11, 2019, 22:57

I don’t give a toss about what’s fair if I was the Bok coach I’d be selfish and make sure no other country got their hands on any potential Boks.

Kolisi, Jantjies and Mbonambi are all class acts. Merit as they come

You need to Log in to reply.