Performance rating - Springboks

Forum » Rugby » Performance rating - Springboks

Oct 08, 2019, 15:13

It is very difficult to stay objective and give a performance rating for the Springboks, but here goes:-

15  Willemse     -    A good start and made some good runs and scoring a try              7,5/10

14  Gelant        -    Very interesting performance on the wing, making a few mistakes   7/10

13  De Allende  -    Good game                                                                                 7,5/10

12  Steyn         -    Effective bar a couple of really poor kicks                                       6/10

11  Nkosi         -    Very effective in following up box kicks and carry very well              7,5/10

10  Jantjies      -    Effective - some good kicks and some bad ones                              6/10

9  Reinach     -    Top class game - virtually faultless                                                 9/10

8  Louw         -    Effective in catching kick ins and a few carries                                6/10

7  Smith        -    Some good carries - but on the whole ineffective                            5,5/10

6  Kolisi         -    Some good carries - but on the whole ineffective                            5,5/10

5  Mostert      -    Above average performance - too many handling/other mistakes      6/10

4  Snyman     -    Deserve MOM award - wonderful display                                         9/10

3  Koch          -    Good performance                                                                         7/10

2  Brits          -    Good performance                                                                         7/10

1  Du Toit      -     Good scrumming                                                                           6,5/10

Oct 08, 2019, 15:15

I would take Steyn down a bit and Louw up a bit. 

Oct 08, 2019, 15:16

Good ratings, although I think you are a bit harsh on Steyn. He showed good control around the park and played the entire game

Agree, that Louw, Kwagga and Kolisi was poor. Kolisi hardly pitched at all and probably offset the entire balance of the back row

Maybe they should have master at 7

Oct 08, 2019, 15:21

cmon it was against the canadians... you cant get too excited over that one...

that halfback did look good though but how good would faf have looked...? 

jut being a voice of reason for you all. 

Oct 08, 2019, 15:40

King Korn

I thought Steyn had a good game, but two very poor kicks was to my mind a letdown.  Kicking a turnover ball over the goal line with 4 players outside of him is really reducing his value by a point,  There as also another very poor kick as well.    

Steyn's defense was sub-standard as well.  

Oct 08, 2019, 15:41

I have to agree with Redsman, it is not like they were troubling any of the teams in the pool and they have had a way worse schedule than our team. Not to mention the lack of depth they have vs SA who can almost call on 30 players. 

I do think that we didn't really look that great with ball in hand or setup consecutive well skilled backline play

Oct 08, 2019, 16:59

Canada was dreadful in the first half. A team of the posters here could probably have beaten them.

Jantjies can also be very effective against crap opposition as he has a good passing game.

Pollard is still looking out of sorts. 
Kolisi is playing terrible. 

Oct 08, 2019, 17:38

Harsh on Kwagga he was better than that he was good.

Reinach and RG enhanced their chances

de Allende was good, I like the way he is using his feet to beat defenders instead of just looking for contact

Willemse, Nkosi and Gelant were all good

Frans took contact all game which is his role

Jantjies was good

Props were good and Brits was his usual slippery self

RG is a class act and will be big for SA moving forward

Mostert was as ineffective as ever, confirming he is the number 4 lock in the squad - make that 5th after PSDT

Kwagga was the best of our loosies, Kolisi is still not on fire and Louw was solid at best

Oct 08, 2019, 19:07

Why is everyone dumping on Siya Kolisi? He had a pretty good game today I thought. Made lots of hard yards and was always in support. With a bit of luck he could have scored a try or two. Can't understand all the Kolisi-bashing that is going on.

You go Siya!

Oct 08, 2019, 19:13

Agreed Rooi while he is not on fire he is not by any stretch poor

He is one good break away from getting back to his best

I think he is a great player and has so much to offer - provides the difference in a pack packed with heavy weights who like the direct route

Oct 08, 2019, 19:24

Kolisi was playing much better 2 years ago, for the Stormers then Boks. Kolisi had a few carries, but his contribution was minimal compared to some of the other players.

Oct 08, 2019, 20:21

He had a few good runs on his return for the Stormers this year which had me thinking he was good to go

I’m sure we will see him fire soon - is a far better option than boring Louw

Oct 09, 2019, 08:36

Frans took contact all game which is his role

His pass/run ratio was almost 50/50 (where the pass rate for our 12s usually hovers between 20% and 40%), so no, he did not take contact all game.

Oct 09, 2019, 09:26

Comey

Do you differ about the rating I gave to Steyn - I gave him 6 - looking at his seriously deficient defense it should have been 5.    

Oct 09, 2019, 10:14

Dunno why Steyn is that important. He's just there to captain the bench. Wait can I say bench? Is that a derogatory term for trees.

E Jantjies will likely get more game minutes than Steyn. And if Pollard is injured, Jantjies takes it all. 

Behind an advancing pack, I'd say Jantjies is better than Pollard. Perhaps at out of hand kicking too. Pollard being better at everything else.  

On memory, the Bok forwards have started well for the last year or so. Quick off the mark, pressure early on. During that time Pollard has been favored. And often, the early pressure wasn't rewarded with points. Discounting the minnow games. The most recent test was the ABs. The Boks dominated early. Had little to show for it. We needed an erratic hole punch in those first 30 minutes.

That's probably Jantjies' best case for starting. 

Either way, he will be on the field for a time, later in the game once it has slowed down. Which is where Pollard does his best work.

This isn't to say that Pollard is a slouch or a bad distributor. The opposite is true.

Games will get tighter. Being able to capitalise early is VITAL. The Boks are making chances to do just that.

Don't know the numbers but a 10 to 15 point advantage in a SF or F is usually a win secured. More so than earlier in the competition and elsewhere.

The above doesn't bode well for the ABs. They've been struggling early. You can't rely on comebacks in WCs. If they don't get the jump on their opponents, a few of the NH teams will make life tough for them.

Oct 09, 2019, 10:30

Carried strongly, distributed well, scored a try, assisted. He and Jantjies got bamboozled by the Canada dummy runner, it was a fine play by the Canadians, but the inside channel always belonged to Jantjies. I don't really know what these ratings are supposed to mean (what makes the difference between a 6 and a 7, really, it's all subjective), but let's make it a solid 7.

Oct 09, 2019, 11:38

I never said he did not pass I’m saying his only method of attack is to try run over players - we certainly wont see him trying to step a player or try beat them on the inside or outside for he lacks both the agility and speed to do anything but crash ball

How utterly boring predictable and easy to defend

Frans brings nothing to the table - no creativity nor flair, just a vulnerability with his lack of pace

Oct 09, 2019, 12:44

Comey 

I made it as 5 because of serious defense  deficiency,   So that "inside" story applies to Steyn and not Du Toit,  Freak lying is not going to help you.

Oct 09, 2019, 12:48

So that "inside" story applies to Steyn and not Du Toit,  Freak lying is not going to help you.

Huh?

Oct 09, 2019, 12:56

Sure - go back to the famous Sanchez break and Mostert  missed tackle on him.  Du Toit was on his OUTSIDE.  Have fun dimness.  

Oct 09, 2019, 13:05

Yes, and if Steph stayed in the line Mostert had him covered, but Steph shoots out of line and opens up an entire channel for Sanchez to get around Mostert. Not even remotely the same situation.

Oct 09, 2019, 13:40

Comey 

You are onto BS story spreading again,  Happy Distortion and Liar Day to you again.  LMAO 

Comey 

You are onto BS story spreading again,  Happy Distortion and Liar Day to you again.  LMAO 

Comey 

You need to Log in to reply.