Player Watch: 22 April 2022

Forum » Rugby » Player Watch: 22 April 2022

Apr 25, 2022, 11:30

Hey, I thought I'll start  a thread to discuss which players stood out the most this week. 

Starting with the URC

Dyamani, he had the number 7 on his back, but boy did he perform both on attack and defence. Covered a lot of ground, beautiful hands for all three try assist. His performance last time out was also top drawer stuff and really coming into his own. 

Gelant, was so good that Saffex started a whole thread for this guy.  I have to agree,  this is in the form of his life right now.  Fassi just came back from injury, but was very week on his defence and allowed an easy try around him.  Still my biggest concern and probably won't pick him

Willemse, yes he did really well covering both positions but Gelant is ahead of him at 15. Yes he is maturing  but still not nailing down a spot in my opinion

Rikus Pretorius, does the hard work, great pace, size and strength and ran a beautiful line for the first try.  

Libbok, who, this  guy has come into his. Probably the best 10 playing in the country. Real threat with the ball, great runner, good  distributor  and fantastic boot. Hendrikse is still way of the mark and Bosh is really frustrating to watch as he has one  moment of brilliance only to throw it away. 

Looking at other competitions

Hanro Liebenberg, former bulls and now  Leicestershire captain has been  performing week after week and got 2 tries on Saturday, not to mention a try saving cover tackle. Unfortunate to be on the losing end thanks to a Andre Esterhuize try.

I can go on about a few more players, but these were the guys that caught my eye. 

Last mention to Pepsi, first game I noticed him stand out. Great try of the base of the scrum

Ox continues to impress me as well as Thomas the tank

Apr 25, 2022, 17:33

Similane was good for the Lions as was Odendaal who has been good all year

Big fan of the Tshituka brothers and Ruben Schoeman at lock is a beast

I really like the look of Bulls loosehead Gerhard Steenkamp

Grobelaar at 2 is impressing a lot

Papier has rediscovered his form and vd Bergh plays it much like Faf does

Walt Steenkamp is a good lock as is Nortje but I have an issue with his lack of bulk - another Orie or Mostert. I like Andre Smith of the Stormers as well

Standouts for me so far are Gelant, Fassi, Tambwe, Zas, Similane, Rickus, Odendaal, Marius Louw, Libbok, vd Bergh, Papier, Hendrikse, Ox, Thomas, Sadie, Grobelaar, Ruben Schoeman, Walt Steenkamp, Nortje, Smith, Buthelezi, Tshituka brothers, Elrigh Louw, Roos and Marcel Coetzee

You need to Log in to reply.