Pollard or Lambie...your choice

Forum » Rugby » Pollard or Lambie...your choice

Nov 17, 2014, 23:09

Pollard for me, and please no Pollard and Lambie" cop outs.

Nov 17, 2014, 23:14

So Moz - will the outcome of this vote prove which is the better ? :D

Ok - lets humor you.

I will go Lambie.

Nov 17, 2014, 23:15

I beleive that Pollard is the first choice flyhalf - but he has some learning to do - which would come with experience.

The second choice flyhalf for bench play is Lambie at this stage - but he may be overhauled by Goosen in future.   

After that comes Boshooff, Catrakillis and Van der Walt.

Morne is ot in the top six and Fransie not in the top 10 flyhalfs in SA.   

Nov 17, 2014, 23:16

I am coping out......I'd be more than happy with Pollard,  Lambie or Goosen at 10 for the Boks.

Nov 17, 2014, 23:18

Thanks for the editorials chaps, but there is no need....we only want one word. 

Nov 17, 2014, 23:20

Are you "coping" out or copping out Sapp. Your new found spelling software missed that one. In any case we need a choice, not some cowardly diplomacy.

Nov 17, 2014, 23:31

Both talented, I believe Pollard has the much higher ceiling but there'll be games where Lambie is needed more. It's nice to have the option though. 

So in summary, I think Pollard will go on to be a world beater and Lambie will be very good. (similar to Bizzy and Strauss if you will.

Nov 18, 2014, 01:00

Pollard

Nov 18, 2014, 01:07

Pollard.

He has more potential to improve than Lambie. 

Lambie broke onto the scene and looked the new thing, but faded. He even became a Morne clone for a while. 
He played his best test ever against Australia.

Pollards biggest weakness at the moment is his tactical kicking. Lambie is ahead in this area. Tactical kicking is of course better in the northern hemisphere and also in wet/humid conditions. 

Nov 18, 2014, 06:02

Pollard.

Nov 18, 2014, 07:58

Pollard

Nov 18, 2014, 08:12

Unfortunately I won't be a good boy and give a one word answer, because I facking hate being told what to do by "we"! Pollard is the future! With that in mind I'd play him off the bench behind Bambi. Ease Pollard into things a little more, and assuming he has a good Super Rugby season, start him for the Rugby Champs next year. 

Nov 18, 2014, 08:35

Gossen :D

Nov 18, 2014, 08:45

Ehem JW did you notice any moles on the board recently? Sleep emoticon for Facebook chat

Let Lambie play against Italy with Pollard getting 25 minutes.

Then play Pollard our number 1 flyhalf against Wales. 

Reinach and Pollard look the best bets.

Nov 18, 2014, 08:46

Lambie

Nov 18, 2014, 13:00

Morné and Pollard are the only test quality 10s South Africa has. 

Nov 18, 2014, 13:04

So LeTwat, just to make absolutely sure we haven't misunderstood any of your previous thousand posts where you told us how much you hate Patrick Lambie, you're basically saying that you don't rate him? Is that right? If so, please make sure you tell us another thousand times so we don't forget. Thanks!

Nov 18, 2014, 13:26

LeTwat??? .... Waaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaaaaaaa ... !!!!!

You crack me up, Redneck.

Soooo ... let me get this right ... LeTwat is Gonzo the ... something or other ... can't remember, right? ... and before that he was Dim Sun ... and before that he was Buggered???

Thought I had issues.

Nov 18, 2014, 13:31

Yes, LeTwat is the same sad loser who posted as Gonzo the Gimp, Dim Sum, Alucard and probably a few others I can't remember or didn't notice.

He's not hard to spot . . . just look for someone making rugby comments that are as clueless as Baboon-ou's or failing that, look for someone who posts at least once a day how much he dislikes Patrick Lambie.

Nov 18, 2014, 13:36

Contrary to the instructions of Mozart, you do need two flyhalves, so I vote for Lambie AND Pollard. :D 

Nov 18, 2014, 14:04

Agreed Bek. I'm happy with both our 10's.

I have a special fondness for Lambie. The man with the boy face.

I was very nervous when he lined up that shot against the All Blacks. More so for him than for the Bokke. I could see he was terrified. His face flushed with blood. He needed to slot that kick or it would have hurt his confidence a great deal.

I don't think he's been given a fair shake by Meyer.

Hope he's chalked up against Italy.

Nov 18, 2014, 14:36

Lestat, we had hope for you until you brought up useless Morne as a test quality 10.....what a bloody joke

Pollard, Goosen and Lambie are all test quality........it could not be more obvious than that......just like Morne has for the last 10 years proved he is NOT test quality 

Nov 18, 2014, 14:45

Morne - the test loser - as a test level flyhalf - that is a joke for the crazy.  He is as far as I can see tickets in both the Springbok team and there are rumours that satde Francais is trying to get rid of him.   He always was a kicking flyhalf with abysmal readng of the game ability - and that caught up with him at last.  

Nice guy - have nothing against him personally - but a dead loss as a Springbok flyhalf.   

Nov 18, 2014, 14:49

I agree CC, I felt sorry for the man, he had to kick a 50 meter goal, and I bet through his mind he realised if he wanted any firther part in the Bok setup he had to kick that goal.

I am very f...n glad he made that kick.

I don't think he has ever been treated fairly by Meyer or PDV.

Nov 18, 2014, 14:59

CC

I share your feelings about Lambie - but I think he may get the full back berth against italy.  I think Goosen will start in the Italy game to see how he is going to do - that is Meyer's last opportunity to have a look at him.   

My guess is that Meyer wants to have three flyhalfs in the WC squad and I think Pollard and Lambie are certainties.   Goosen is likely to be the third one - - but I think Meyer would like to have another  look at him in the test environment.  The difference is also that Goosen and Lambie both are good full backs as a back-up for Willie.   

So lets see how the team for Saturday pans out.  I do not think we shall see Pollard again before the Welsh test in any event.     

Nov 18, 2014, 15:06

Agree Mike, if Meyer can select Pollard, Lambie, Goosen and Willie, he covers both flyhalf and Fullback three times over.

I will be happy with that as they are all four talented players.

Nov 18, 2014, 16:17

Nine for the running option represented by Pollard....two for the kicking option represented by Lambie. And some posters who are unable to make a simple decision. 

Nov 18, 2014, 16:23

Pollard likes to run. It remains to be seen whether his kicking is as consistent a Lambie's. Not that Lambie is fanatastic, he was wayward past week, but Pollard looks a little raw. 

Nov 18, 2014, 16:30

Mozartron

Are you happy to have Lettsallbemorons back to join you and ceraduncemoron in the Moron Fraternity on this site?   Happy Morons Day to you. 

Nov 18, 2014, 16:44

Its not a simple decision......in may books Pollard, Lambie and Goosen are of equal standing.....all three are nicely rounded 10's......saying Pollard is a running 10 and Lambie a kicking one is complete rubbish.......both are good attacking and kicking 10's......much like Goosen is 

Nov 18, 2014, 17:39

Agree, you can't put anyone of the three in a box, suggesting Lambie is a kicking flyhalf is sacrilege, we had Morne, he was a kicking flyhalf. 

Nov 18, 2014, 18:05

There are no such things as kicking and running flyhalves. They all kick and they all run.. It depends on the game plan and the situation. You get good ones and bad ones. Carter kicks more than most 10's but some call him a running 10. It's more about the options they take.

Nov 18, 2014, 18:16

So according to Card, if you're a Lambie supporter, automatically you're a Morne hater. Thats crazy. Ive always been a Lambie supporter......because he's Sharks player. Incidentally I ve also always been  a Morne fan, but in my opinion he's probably done.

Pollard or Lambie?  I would go for Pollard as first choice but Lambie is more than adequate back up.

Nov 18, 2014, 18:26

Agree Stu, Pollard is not nearly the finished article yet. No need to throw away Morne and for that matter Goosen either..and keep an eye on Boshoff. Why limmit our options?

Nov 18, 2014, 18:38

I would vote for Lambie right now because I believe he has a better BMT than Pollard at this point in time. Next year's S15 may give some more clarity, but I will not be surprised if Meyer use the 2 in a similar rotational fashion than he is using Bismarck and Strauss. 

Nov 18, 2014, 18:48

Blikkies, he is doing it already. Started with Morne and Handre and then moved on to Handre and Lambie. Morne will also play again, but he is now 3rd in line in Meyers book I believe.

Dec 18, 2020, 01:53

A bit of history.....

Dec 18, 2020, 10:07

Mozart

Why did Meyer play ping-pong with Pollard's career during 2014 and 2015 and used Lambie ahead of him in the tests,    In reality you are asking the wrong  people the above question - you should really found out rom Meyer why he preferred Lambie  to Pollard at flyhalf, 

Dec 19, 2020, 11:24

Actually, Meyer preferred Pollard. It was the media who preferred Lambie. Lambie was always the popular choice, for no reason whatsoever. Interesting that his kicking was the reason for it here, as he was always tauted as being the premier running 10, again, for no reason whatsoever. His tactical kicking on the 2014 EOYT was diabolical. Meyer's only weakness as coach was not sticking to his gut instinct in the face of criticsm, he cared too much what people think and those popular selections he made failed him each and every time. Jake on the otherhand, he stuck to what he knew best and made the plastics and their media deities eat it! Hence the bitterness that exists in SA towards him :D

Dec 19, 2020, 12:04

Another fabrication -  a coach who listens to the media should not be the coach  and Meyer did squad other than to be overtaken by events forcing his hand in selecting performing players.    Anyway Morne knows anything about tactical kicking?   Everybody bar you realize he never knew the difference between tactical kicking and possession handover BS kicking.   The fact is you are lying through your teeth,   Pollard played against Ireland and for the rest he rarely played, in the rest of the EOYT,   His kicking game against Ireland was NOT as  poor as Morne's routine kicking game and that was not the reason for the loss against Ireland - so your new excuse is another feeble invention in your over-burdened and ignorant mind. 

Another truth was that Meyer stuck to the idiocy of selecting players on reputation with zero regard to performance  ending up with a horrible WC squad with at least 8 unplayable players in the squad,  He never gave in when it was clearly spelled out in the media that the squad was BS and they proved it by losing against the weak Japan team.

In summary - a coach who listens to the media is never to be used as a coach    Neither should one be if he does not know how to select  his squad  on performance basis and not only on reputation.    If Meyer indeed listened to the media - which he never did - he would not have committed all the mistakes he made and may have ended  up with a better reputation than he has at present.   He made himself an unemployable person in the coaching field.

He is now writing a book about his coaching career and I recommend all coaches to read it and find out how to avoid being as poor a coach as  he was,                     

Dec 19, 2020, 12:15

Really? Who made Kolisi captain? Hamstringing the team to the greatest quota in modern rugby history? Not only dancing to the media's tune, but going as far as doing a little political pole dancing for the politicians. You are too easy. :D

Dec 19, 2020, 12:53

Erasmus did and it turned out to be an excellent choice.   The media never once raised the issue of making Kolisi captain and he was not a quota selection either - he was there on merit.    Erasmus made the decision and queries in the media never changed his mind.    Pole=danciong for the politicians is done by people selecting  quota players and in that Meyer only made quota selections without merit.   

I will go so far as to saying there were no quota selections in the  Springbok WC squad,   Erasmus never made quota selections and always merit selections,  He did make a few mistakes though - Mostert amongst others like Kwagga and Louw,  .      

Dec 19, 2020, 15:29

On merit? At the breakdown? On defence? Carries? The guy was totally anonymous game after game after game. 

Dec 19, 2020, 15:37

No one should ever listen to your garbage on player performances in games because the players delivering zero is praised by you for excellent performances and the op performing players are described by you as not delivering anything,    It is the case here again and that remains.   Fairy tales do not assure real performance evaluation  and you always thrive on fairy tales.      

Dec 19, 2020, 15:37

Duplication 

Dec 19, 2020, 16:04

What exactly did he do that made him a merit selection? Given that Louw saved games from the bench, making a bigger impact than Kolisi says a lot, that's if we are to believe that Louw was as poor as you say! :D

Dec 19, 2020, 18:06

You have asked for it,  Louw no ball carries and made 2 tackles against  Wales- Kolisi carrie the ball twice for an  16 meter gain and beat one tackle attempt..    One turnover means nothing in the broader context of the game and the fact that Louw did bugger all at all otherwise in the game is telling.   He saved the game - how?  If it was a draw it would have resulted in extra time and the Welsh  had no way of surviving extra time.

In the final Louw made three tackles - but no ball carries   - so he played in two tests for about  28 minutes with zero ball carries and 5 tackles is all that he showed.

As to the rest Kolisi was always near the ball carrier and did a lot of work in ball protection and recovery  and in the turnover case Louw was next to the tackler and since his pace is insufficient he cannot make it to the breakdown point when tackles happen further away- too pace-deficient. 

Louw was at a time an excellent loosie - by the time of the 2019 WC he was way over the hill and near to a passenger in games.       

Dec 24, 2020, 02:41

Lots of egg on this string for Dave, Cleverwanker, Biltongbek and CC. We now know neither Lambie nor Goosen were international fly halves. The media were heavily in Lambie’s camp in 2014...they were horribly wrong. 

Lambie always started better than he finished....got confused as a game progressed. He had no flyhalf game plan. He was actually a passably decent defensive fullback....that’s it.

Dec 24, 2020, 05:54

And the  Shithead always supported the worst flyhalf I have ever seen playing for the Springboks - Morne Steyn - who never attacked the gain line and did not know when to kick and when to pass balls.    His out of hand kicks were grossly inaccurate and out of hand penalty kicks too often did not find touch too often,   A bench player for Stade Francais regarded by him as good enough to play for the Springboks,   Lambie is ten times the all-round player  Steyn ever was - the latter had an 80% success rate kicking at goal - but with everything else missing was a dud flyhalf.    

The idiotic comments that Frans Steyn - who according to him terrified opponents because of his size ahead of Pollard was a joke in bad taste.         

You need to Log in to reply.