You need to LOG IN to reply.

Powell the Owl

Forum » Rugby » Powell the Owl

Mar 11, 2019, 09:45

When teams go through a transition phase, coaches usually blame losses on the departure of experienced players and the introduction of new players (ala Proteas).

Not Neil Powell.

It really looks like he has put some wonderful structures in place with the Blitzbokke.
Over the past few seasons he has continuously blooded youngsters and fitted them in to the mix with the old heads like Cecil Afrika, Philip Snyman, Branco du Preez and Ruhan Nel etc.

As a result, even though the Blitzbokke have haemorrhaged some of their experienced players this season, the effect has been lessened by what Powell has done.

We now have a group of really young players who have all played the the Blitzbokke at some stage over the past 2 years, who are not complete novices.

They have been bled and are now a part of Powell's conveyer belt.

Though we are not 1st on the log this year, we are playing well. Yesterdays win in Vancouver attests to Powell's vision and his technical ability as a coach.

Well done Blitzbokke.

(@Clevermike Please don't butcher this post)

Mar 11, 2019, 10:01

Flash, it's gonna be hard not comparing Powel with other coaches...Meyer for one...two different disciplines but the same principles should apply.:angel: So not to have Oom Mike drag it in first, I did.:D

Mar 11, 2019, 10:47

Excuse me Powell is a sevens coach. Sevens is OT the 15 man code. Any sevens coach that wants to try the 15 man code must PROVE himself. That said Powell is doing a superb job.

Mar 11, 2019, 11:02

Flash

I am not going to butcher anything - no need toc comment  critically on what you wrote - in fact you are 100%  correct.

There is just one issue that bothers me about the Sevens and that is that some of the SA stars in 7's came back to play 15 man Rugby with minimal success.   Even players like Senatla and Kwagga is ineffective playing 15 man Rugby - but are world star Sevens players 

Fact is it would be in the interest of A Rugby that they remain in the Sevens game - but there are youngsters like Muller Du Plessis, JC Pretorisu and Impi Visser who are excellent replacements..          

Mar 11, 2019, 11:02

Flash

I am not going to butcher anything - no need toc comment  critically on what you wrote - in fact you are 100%  correct.

There is just one issue that bothers me about the Sevens and that is that some of the SA stars in 7's came back to play 15 man Rugby with minimal success.   Even players like Senatla and Kwagga is ineffective playing 15 man Rugby - but are world star Sevens players 

Fact is it would be in the interest of A Rugby that they remain in the Sevens game - but there are youngsters like Muller Du Plessis, JC Pretorisu and Impi Visser who are excellent replacements..          

Mar 11, 2019, 11:05

Like one-day kriekert .........itsa different game

Mar 11, 2019, 11:06

Willem Alberts, Frans Steyn and Morne should make themselves available for 7's. 

Mar 11, 2019, 11:18

Hello

Im not comparing Powell to anyone.

All I am saying is that I like the way he has structured the 7's system.

Replacement players fit in as they have slowly been blooded by the coach.

He has catered for the future.

He had the vision to prepare for the departure of current stars.

...something that really stands out.

Well done Neil Powell.

Mar 11, 2019, 21:47

Yes Flash, we know you are not comparing him to other coaches, we are comparing him to all the coaches who did not :

"He has catered for the future.

He had the vision to prepare for the departure of current stars.

...something that really stands out."

...do all these things... like Meyer...:D

Edit: PS, I know this post only make sense in a weird ADHD-interconnectedness-kinda-way, but wth, let's ride!

Mar 11, 2019, 22:42

:D:D:D

Mar 12, 2019, 09:08

If not a coaching sensation then I'd like to think he's a coaching genius.....but with a nudge I'l take both.

You need to Log in to reply.