You need to LOG IN to reply.

PSDT

Forum » Rugby » PSDT

Feb 07, 2019, 11:26

This is surely going to spark a fierce debate. PSDT has won the SA rugby player of the year for the second time in 3 years. 

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/du-toit-scoops-sa-rugby-player-of-the-year-award-20190207

Feb 07, 2019, 11:44

He was our best player last year so I have no issues with that.

Really hard to fault a guy that was putting the performances that he did.

Anyway, if not him, then who?

Feb 07, 2019, 11:45

Well done Pieter-Steph. Fully deserved in my never humble opinion!

If there is a fierce debate it will be between the people who know something about rugby and the people who know nothing about rugby.

Feb 07, 2019, 12:16

BB

I was about the publish the article and will keep it to the full list of awards:-

SA Rugby Player of the Year: Pieter-Steph du Toit

Other nominees: Aphiwe Dyanyti, Malcolm Marx, Franco Mostert, Handré Pollard

SA Rugby Young Player of the Year: Sbu Nkosi

Other nominees: Aphelele Fassi, Embrose Papier, RG Snyman, Damian Willemse

Team of the Year: Springbok Sevens

Other nominees: Lions (Super Rugby), Sharks (Currie Cup)

Coach of the Year: Neil Powell

Other nominees: Swys de Bruin, Rassie Erasmus

Springbok Sevens Player of the Year: Dylan Sage

Other nominees: Werner Kok, Ruhan Nel

Junior Springbok Player of the Year: Wandisile Simelane

Other nominees: Salmaan Moerat, Tyrone Green, Damian Willemse

Super Rugby Player of the Tournament: Aphiwe Dyantyi (Lions)

Other nominees: Malcolm Marx, Franco Mostert (both Lions)

Currie Cup Premier Division Player of the Year: Sergeal Petersen (Western Province)

Other nominees: SP Marais (Western Province), Akker van der Merwe (Sharks)

Currie Cup First Division Player of the Year: Etienne Taljaard (Valke)

Other nominees: Divan Nel (SWD Eagles), Anrich Richter (Valke)

SuperSport Rugby Challenge Player of the Year: Chris Smith (Pumas)

Other nominees: Enver Brandt (Griquas), Ruwellyn Isbell (Pumas), Stefan Ungerer (Pumas)

Craven Week Player of the Tournament

Evan Roos (Western Province)

Referee of the Year

Jaco Peyper

Women's Achiever of the Year

Nolusindiso Booi

It is an interesting mix - but lets get back to Pieter-Steph du Toit.   Ever since 2013 there was a hate campaign against him operating on this site and it got more malicious  as times went on.   When Erasmus praised the dedication and hard work of Du Toit in a recent article, the malignancy continued.    One can only expect a further outburst by the rugby illiterates about the award,

The same thing happened about recent awards - ie De Jager in 2015 and Du Toit in 2016.   One can only wonder about what is malfunctioning in the brain cavity of the orcs..    

Feb 07, 2019, 15:03

Moffie I feel your pain - how embarrassing!!!

Feb 07, 2019, 16:12

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaaa!!!

Shame!!

Let's see how many excuses he can come up with.

Should be good for  laugh.

Feb 07, 2019, 16:49

The hype rolls on.....South African Rugby Player of the Year......hahaha, bawler of the year.

Feb 07, 2019, 16:52

Embarrassing

Feb 07, 2019, 16:57

The only two South African players who make the World Team of 2018 are Kitshoff and Faf, and only in some cases. Stephanie doesn't get mentioned much because the hype fades beyond the Limpopo.

He had some good games.....lost the second NZ test and was anonymous on the YE tour. Lots of hype.

Feb 07, 2019, 17:03

He was our best forward on the YE tour dumbass.

But keep digging that hole you are too stupid to realise how stupid you look.

SA player of the year in the last 3 and you think he is crap - case closed like no other closure!!

Feb 07, 2019, 17:23

Porkie you should know by now I don't buy into local award syndrome. Your man Watson won Player of the Year and look how that turned out!

I looked at Stephanie vs Mostert in several games and Mostert made the superior contributions. He did on the YE tour as well.

And for the record, I don't think Stephanie is 'crap', just not nearly the world beater Saffas think he is. And he's not a flank, can't compete at the breakdown or cover backs in open field......that hurts us, even though one doesn't see the effect like you would a missed tackle.

But bark away to your heart's content.

Feb 07, 2019, 17:42

Mostert better contributor than PSDT based on your analysis bwhaaaahaaaa.

It’s astounding that based on these facts Mostert was not SA player of the year then!!!

Powder puff Mostert all effort with little productivity. Hell I think Matfield had more physical presence than Mostert

Feb 07, 2019, 17:51

Here you are Porkie, my analysis of the vaunted Stephanie defence.

Wrong again Tokkie. If you want to only include tests where both players were on the park it's the 11 tests Mostert played in (Stephanie played in every test).

In those tests they both played the full time in all tests, except:

1 Mostert was subbed for 17 minutes in Bargie2...,.so he played for 863 minutes.

2 Stephanie was subbed on in Pom 2 for30 minutes and in Bargie 2 for 33 minutes. So he lost 97 minutes of playing time from the full 880, giving him 783 minutes.

Now to the tackling stats......Stephanie registered 134 made/27 missed in those tests, for an average 83.2% success ratio. He made a tackle every 5.84 minutes based on his 783 minutes of playing time.

Mostert registered 139 tackles/missed 21 for a tackling success rate of 86.8%....and made a tackle every 6.2 minutes based on his 863 minutes of playing time.

So for Mostert's only slightly lower tackles per minute (remember he is playing lock).....you get his quite superior 86.8% success rate vs Stephanie's 83.2%

There it is, laid out to exclude games where there were no overlaps...as you requested. Mostert edges it.

Feb 07, 2019, 17:57

Fuck me idiot do you really think anything you analyse is worthy of consideration.

I’d rather read the Bible!!

Yawn

Feb 07, 2019, 19:05

Look Porkus nobody, not even DCup has made more woeful picks than you. But never mind next time I need a disbarred lawyer I'll look you up.

Feb 07, 2019, 20:15

Ah Moffie just keep banging that drum......PSDT player of the year in the last 3 years and you are too profoundly stupid to acknowledge what a hopeless idiot you are when it comes to rugby picks.

You have made some pathetic calls at times Adi Jacobs used to be your highlight but your call on our best player pips that by some margin.

Keep us entertained old man

Feb 07, 2019, 20:43

Our best player ......hahaha.....but not good enough to make any objective World Team. Parochial bias kills our rugby. Our best players are Willie, Pollard, Faf, Marx, Etzebeth and Vermeulen.

Then we have Kitshoff, the workhorse Mostert and the show pony Stephanie, who are useful albeit with limitations.

The rest.... the wings and centres who wouldn't make the Scottish team, fattie Malherbe and Kolisi are liabilities.

Feb 07, 2019, 20:46

Dave 

Can you remember the famous Morzoscope - containing concocted lies and misrepresentations that was and in rare circumstances still is being spread by the same source,   It is unbelievable that some think objective people cannot see what really happened and that they would be caught out,

Feb 07, 2019, 20:58

Can you remember when DCup assured us Adri had a terrible test against Oz and he wasn't even playing.

The Mozcroscopes a paragon of honesty ......the Gemorzcoscropes are yours Tokkie.

DCup desperately seeking allies....funny stuff.

Feb 07, 2019, 22:15

Objective world side now that’s a joke is that the same side that had Ijote at lock and Farrell at 12 having played most his year at 10?

It’s probably the side that had average O’Mahony at blindside? PSDT is miles better it’s not even close despite playing out of position

Feb 07, 2019, 23:44

So you accept Stephanie is no blindside....well that's some progress.

Feb 07, 2019, 23:48

Nope I never said that, I said he is playing out of position because he is a lock.

But to his credit he has been bloody good at 7

Feb 08, 2019, 00:07

I agree he is a lock.....right behind Mostert and Snyman. He does about 60%of what a blindside should do....but that's the obvious 60% so nobody notices the missing 40%, like making a turnover.

Feb 08, 2019, 00:22

You are too stupid to make the obvious call that the shorter and lighter Mostert is the one who should be playing blindside.

As for PSDT he stands second to Etzebeth in the lock rankings, followed by Lood, Snyman the Jenkins.

I’d add a few other real locks ahead of Mostert

Feb 08, 2019, 00:53

No actually that's excatly what I think should happen, I agree Mostert should be the blindside.

Feb 08, 2019, 01:00

Nope you said PSDT was a lock behind Mostert and Snyman

Feb 08, 2019, 01:17

He is a lock behind Mostert and Snyman......but if we are looking for a mobile, agile lock like blindside.....Mostert is the better candidate.

Feb 08, 2019, 01:23

Bullshit there is no way in hell powder puff Mostert is ahead of PSDT at lock not even close.

One of Rassie’s huge failings is playing Mostert at lock.

Mostert could play 7 but not for the Boks as he does not gain the metres in contact like JL du Preez or Jacques du Plessis or Ruan Ackerman do.

I’ll credit Mostert with plenty of guts and effort but it has limited impact simply because he lacks bulk

Feb 08, 2019, 09:43

Dave

Just ignore the orc's BS.   He is totally delusional and  ignorant.   

Now lets get back to the Player of the year award of Du Toit.   Have a look at the following article:-

"Star Springbok and Stormers forward Pieter-Steph du Toit says he would like to be utilised more at flank than lock in the upcoming season.

Du Toit, who was on Thursday confirmed at SA Rugby's Player of the Year for 2018, told Netwerk24 that Stormers coach Robbie Fleck had asked him where he'd like to feature in the upcoming Super Rugby competition.

"I told Fleckie No 7 flank. I enjoy my rugby more there. Rassie (Erasmus, Springbok coach) did not specifically say that’s where he’d like to see me play, but it’s more or less what I assumed. I was told that I’ll have to play flank and lock... to be the versatile player.

"They (the Springbok management) however told me that they'd like to utilise me more as a No 7 flank than lock. If someone were to ask me now, I'll say flank is my preferred position. I really enjoy playing there."

Du Toit played nine of his 14 Tests in 2018 at flank.

The SA Rugby Player of the Year accolade was the second time the 26-year-old won the award - he also received the honour in 2016.

Du Toit became only the fifth player since 1992 to claim the crown more than once. The others are Bryan Habana (2005, 2007 and 2012), Schalk Burger (2004 and 2011), Jean de Villiers (2008 and 2013) and Fourie du Preez (2006 and 2009)"    

Aside from Du Toit the only forward who ever got the Player of the Year award more than once was Schalk Burger.   He got it in 2004 (age 21 years old) and seven year later in 2011 (age 28 years old.   

Du Toit got his awards in 2016 (age 24 years old) and 2018 (age 26 years old).   I can see him getting the relevant reward again before his retirement  from rugby.   

As to playing at lock - it is evident that Du Toit has no problem playing at lock, but he prefers playing at 7.   The reasons for that  is that -

*    the Springboks have an oversupply of top class locks with Etzebeth, De Jager, Snyman and Schickerling in the mix - without even considering the overseas club players);

*    the team has problems on loosie level and Du Toit will always put the interests of the team ahead of his own interests.   

Insofar as Mostert is concerned you must bear in  mind that the orc has no idea about the functioning of the Tight 5 and the role of locks in that regard,  That is why he came wit a classic before - he justified the selection of Alberts as a loosie to off-set the Tight 5 deficiency of Matfield.   By 2014 both  Matfield and Alberts were sub-standard and the result was that we only had an operational Tight 4.

Mostert was part of the problem that driving mauls virtually disappeared from the Springbok team in 2018.   He was not physically strong enough to organize  and facilitate the forward operation of mauls.   The orc tried an escape mechanism from that statement by quoting the final maul in the French test - until it was exposed is misrepresentation of what actually happened,   

The orc had a running campaign against Du Toit about the poor throw-ins by Marx in the English test in November.    That campaign continued even after Marx admitted he was at fault,  

I would ignore the orc when it comes to Du Toit and Stander - he is totally delusional when it comes to his pet-hate players,    

Feb 08, 2019, 10:20

Very funny how Moz is slated for not rating PSDT as highly as the rest of us but with same breath those slating him claim what a "powder-puff" Mostert is.

Such a powder puff that Rassie rates him. Such a powder puff that he's immediately made an impact at his new club in brand new conditions. Such a powder puff that he been our most consistent lock for years now. Such a powder puff that he's easily the best lineout jumper in the country.

On balance, Moz's view is easily the most unbiased.

Feb 08, 2019, 10:36

"On balance, Moz's view is easily the most unbiased. "

If this isn't a wind-up then it's a very naive and frankly stupid statement. There is no more prejudiced and biased poster on this board than Moffie and the situation is not helped by his complete and utter lack of rugby knowledge.

I reckon if Franco Mostert won the SA Rugby Player of the Year twice in the space of three years then his critics would man up and eat their words . . . but that hasn't happened yet . . . and even though I've supported Mostert and spoken up for him on this board . . . it probably never will . . . because he's not in the same league as Pieter-Steph du Toit.

Feb 08, 2019, 11:26

Rooi

By that reasoning we are only able to judge players if they win POTY awards.

PSDT was better than Mostert last year for me.

The point I'm making is that yes PSDT was good, but Mostert was not far behind him.

But we have people here claiming that he was totally out of his depth, not nearly test level, too lightweight etc and it's very obvious that this is not the case.

So, on balance Moz views are a lot less unbiased and more progressive than he's being given credit for. Mike and most others write Mostert off purely on the basis of his size. Forget anything else. that 5kgs means everything.

Same thing with Faf. His pass was slightly under par for a few games and then that became the be all and end all. In reality it was jsut an excuse because we want a Pienaar sized scummie. Forget everything else he broguht to the table. Nobody complained too much when Coetzee dropped him for Cronje. Then Rassie brings him back and suddenly we realise he's possibly one of the best in the world.

I wonder if anybody stopped to think for a moment that for him to sort his pass out was probably one of the easiest things he had to do. And then what? We dropped a brilliant scrummie on the basis of a problem that could be sorted out in no time at all. And which was sorted out almost as soon as it appeared.

Willie is another one. Too eratic and mercurial blah blah blah. This year we realise that he's far and away our best play maker and why the hell was he ever dropped? He was dropped because looking past one's nose is feat not easily managed in South Africa.

Brussow also springs to mind.

The list of players that this type of thing has happened to is endless.

It's bandwagon bullshit and it very often totally ignores the big picture in favor of micromanagement. Most times to the detriment of both the player and the fans.

Feb 08, 2019, 11:47

No, by that reasoning slagging off Pieter-Steph du Toit is more biased and prejudiced than slagging off Franco Mostert . . . and to say that the person slagging off the 2 time Player of the Year is less biased than the person slagging off the occasional test player who only really gets a chance when there are a few injuries is . . . well . . . stupid.

Look, you don't have to preach to me about Mostert, I've said before that he's a warrior and I really like him as a player, but accept that there will always be disagreement on players . . . often due to provincial bias and in some cases complete ignorance . . . but at the very least when the player you slag off wins major awards then recognise you've made a bit of a dick of yourself.

I agree with you on Faf and I agree with you on Brussow . . . but I disagree with you on Willie le Roux. I think he's very overrated. Now if Willie le Roux had to win us a test single-handed or get voted SA Player of the Year I'd feel a bit foolish and I'd concede that I got it wrong. I wouldn't compound it by saying everyone else is stupid and I'm the only genius who sees how crap he is . . . which is what Moffie is doing.

That's my point . . . and if you're going to start singing Moffie's praises and say how unbiased he is then I'll be one of those who takes you to task. I'm not debating who is or isn't a good player, my issue is you calling a one-eyed, prejudiced and hopelessly biased fool "unbiased". 

Feb 08, 2019, 12:15

LOL Rooi

Moz = PSDT(Good) + Mostert(Better than PSDT)

Others = (PSDT Excellent) + Mostert(Sucks and should not be there)

Clearly Moz's opinion is closer to the truth. Even by your own assesement of PSDT and Mostert respectively, you agree more with Moz's opinon than you agree with the others.

I speakig specifically about this instance by the way. Not generally about all opinions that Moz has ever had.

Feb 08, 2019, 12:28

Hahahaha! Moffie thinks Pieter-Steph is "good"?

LMAO!

Feb 08, 2019, 12:30

Plum try not be as stupid as Moffie.

Since when was Rassie the measure as a coach the guy has a 50% win record for crying out loud and one of his biggest mistakes is selecting powder puff Mostert at lock.

I see Mostert for what he is, you clearly don’t. What you see is the high work rate the energy and the effort and you are taken by that. But look a little closer and you will see that he makes no impact with ball in hand as he is not capable of imposing himself physically. He inveriably gets knocked back or straight down unlike true ball carries like Etzebeth, Lood, PSDT, Snyman etc.

Same applies to his defence, he makes loads of technically low tackles but you never see him smash a player back like a test lock should do. The guy is powder puff.

As for his impact at Gloucester bullshit, they keep losing game after game lately slipping down the table - what impact exactly is he making

Stop fucking making it up you sound as bad as your bum chum Moffie - get a grip

Feb 08, 2019, 12:43

Both PSDT and Mostert might be a bit light for a lock at test level. 

This is particularly true on slower pitches or with Northern Hemisphere refs that allow players to enter the ruck from anywhere.
PSDT has now lost weight to be more mobile at flank. 

Matfield was in a similar situation, but it was fine with a big number 7 like Danie Rossouw or Juan Smith. When Matfield played in France, he was also moved to blindside flank.

Mostert was tried at blindside flank last year in the SuperXV at the request of Rassie and did OK. However, he moved back to lock later in the season and appeared to play better.

When PSDT started against France on the EOYT the pack lacked a bit of mongrel. Then another lock was brought on and PSDT went to blindside, and suddenly the Bok pack started to dominate. 
At super 15, PSDT can play lock and blindside flank. 
There is no doubt that PSDT is a better player than Mostert. However, Mostert is a good player as well. Mostert would be good from the bench as he is very mobile. 

At this stage though they are not competing with each other as it is clear that PSDT is being considered as a blindside flank

Interesting the much vaunted Paul Willemse has already been dropped by France. He offers bulk, but is he mobile enough.

Feb 08, 2019, 12:54

Plum

There was a problem when De Jager was injured in May last year, but an even bigger one because of problems in the blind-side position,   Before he even announced his squad Erasmus mentioned that his ideal lock players as Etzebeth and De Jager.    

To be fair to Erasmus he asked the Lions and Stormers respectively to see whether Mostert and Du Toit could not be sued as a blindside flank.   De Bruyn and Fleck obliged - but after a two week trial it was clear that it did not work out in the case of Mostert and he was moved back to lock by De Bruyn - while Du  Toit passed the test,

When Erasmus became Director of Rugby of SARU he recently claimed that he initially had serious reservations about Du Toit as a player.   He soon changed his mind about the player and used him as lock and blindsider in tests. .      

I am afraid that Mostert made a mistake in moving to Gloucetster.   He was not a reals success at Gloucester and  in his latest game he was used as blindsioder with limited success,   The chances of Mostert being ibn contention  for lock selection has basically gone out of the window.   Ahead of him as a lock contender are at least De Jager, Snyman, Schickerling  and even Stassen.

As stated Mostert made a mistake by moving - staying in SA would have kept him in the limelight - in the case of Gloucester the out of sight out of mind case could happen.

In a way I agree with Dave though - Mostert is not physical enough to play at lock. .

I

Feb 08, 2019, 12:57

Plum

Incidentally Willemse was not good enough on Saturday as a lock and I am not surprised by him being dropped to the bench,  

Feb 08, 2019, 13:05

Bulkshit Shark, PSDT weighs 120kg and is 2m, while Mostert is 112kg and 1.98m

Feb 08, 2019, 13:10

When I saw him playing mid-season, it was clear he has intentionally lost weight. I reckon he is under 115 now. 

He looks more like his brother now, given how much he has slimmed down.

Feb 08, 2019, 13:12

Just saw this article, it seems that Steph Dutoit did not actually lose weight on purpose.

"“By the end of the year I had lost some weight because I had played so much rugby. I must say I didn’t look in good shape because I lost a lot of muscle as well.

“Going into this year I’m feeling good because I have done some ‘smart’ gym and fitness and my weight is back where it was. I’ve been well managed in the pre-season.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/rugby/2019-02-07-psdt-admits-to-being-sore-and-out-of-shape-by-end-of-brutal-2018/

Feb 08, 2019, 13:16

SB

Du Toit decided to reduce his weight to 116 kgs to enhance his pace in playing at blindside.   It was deliberately done for that purpose.   He actually announced it publicly 

Even despite that he is still 4 kgs heavier than the recorded weight of Mostert - who used to weigh 108 kgs and tried to bulk up to 112 kgs.  

Feb 08, 2019, 13:25

Willemse has been brilliant for Montpellier for some time easily the best lock in France.

Has been brutal in contact much like Bakkies and Etzebeth.

He had a very average debut, I’d say the occasion got to him. He will make a big impression for France.

Feb 08, 2019, 13:28

Hahahaha! Moffie thinks Pieter-Steph is "good"

Maybe i'm missing something but i've read numerous match summaries from Moz where he talks about PSDT's positive contributions honestly.

Lets ask him when he comes back onto the thread what his opinion is. I know he says PSDT is overrated but i can't recall him ever calling for him to be dropped or not picked. No point me trying to speak for Moz anyway.

I see Mostert for what he is, you clearly don’t. What you see is the high work rate the energy and the effort and you are taken by that. But look a little closer and you will see that he makes no impact with ball in hand as he is not capable of imposing himself physically. He inveriably gets knocked back or straight down unlike true ball carries like Etzebeth, Lood, PSDT, Snyman etc.

Lets take SA's favorrite lock for comparrison purposes. Eben.

When last did he physically impose himself on a game? I know he was injured last year, but even prior to that. How often does he hold a runner up and create a maul? How often deos he make meaningful meters in a game? How often does he tackle players backwards outside the first five minutes of a game? Is his jumping world class? What are his handling skills like? How often does he get stripped of the ball and hand over posession? When was the last time you saw him be in a decent supporting position off a runner's shoulder? Whats his ruck vist count like?

There always seems to be a Thomas Aquinas type proof that exists for Eben. There where you can't see, there exists Eben's excellence.

If i recall, Moz does rate Eben too. So, im not saying what im saying simply to suck up. Because someone will certainly say that.

Lomp i'm on the fence about. Probaby always will be.

Snyman is a different kettle of fish. For me, he's got more potential than anyone else and a solid brain to boot. He is actually a ball carrier, excellent handling skills, supports runners and does decent intelligent grunt work too. Pace, skill, power and brains. Similar to PSDT in a lot of ways, but better in my opinion.

Anyway, if i were to choose between a guy that i can count on game after game to be the heart of my engine room and a guy that will give me one dominant performance every five or more games...for me the choice is obvious.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/rugby/franco-mostert-gives-gloucester-an-edge-reckons-peter-omahony-896381.html

Kitshoff, Marx, PSDT, Snyman, Mostert...those are my types of players.

Eben, Lomp, Malherbe....those are not my type of players.

Feb 08, 2019, 13:49

Eben makes metres every time he takes contact as does the likes of Lood and PSDT. Mostert certainly does not.

When Eben hits an opponent they go backwards, something Mostert can’t effect.

One on one Etzebeth will always win the battle. All players end up getting stripped when isolated and gang tackled it’s the nature of the beast.

Etzebeth is the best Bok lock I have seen. Has the same if not more physical presence as Bakkies but is a better athlete.

Mostert at 112kg is simply just not physical enough for a Bok lock and his test displays to date confirm this.

If we are wondering why we are only achieving parity in the forwards and not dominating it’s because we lack grunt with Mostert in tow.

If we want to dominate as we should then get a real lock to partner Eben like Snyman or Lood. Personally I’d play PSDT alongside Eben but Rassie seems hell bent on playing him at 7 which is stupid considering we have the options of the du Preez twins and the very impressive Jacques du Plessis playing for Montpellier

Feb 08, 2019, 17:35

Nobody goes backwards when they are hit, except for rare 'crash' tackles which are always noted. It's a matter of how much forwatd momentum the carrier retains. Etzebeth, a very strong man might stopthem a few inches sooner....but that's just an impression.

As for Mostert and Stephanie my analysis shows they are very close. Mostert slightly the more secure tackler. No doubt Stephanie is a better ball carrier, but still not a great carrier. Mostert is the better lineout forward and the more instinctive passer.

I give the nod to Mostert....and I'd play him at blindside. His style in that role would work better with the Boks than the Lions running game. Stephanie is a lock, but I prefer Snyman at 5......a bigger man and more imposing.

My main beef has been against the unfair attention Stephanie gets, unfair to his fellow players and destructive. Erasmus' big mea culpa about Stephanie can hardly be going down well with his fellow players. So let's hope for his sake Stephanie doesn't revert to his patchy 2017 form.

Feb 08, 2019, 18:04

Agree Plum. Eben Etzebeth is the most hyped up and overrated player since Bob Skinstad. Everyone raves about how big and strong he is but on the field of play that seems to count for nothing because on the field he's average at best. 

I suspect a lot of the hype comes from the Cape where the mincing little Stompie supporters swoon and squeal with delight every time Etzebeth puts on his angry face . . . which is most of the time . . . unless he's involved in handbags when he has that silly "I are so tough I even smiles for you" grin slapped all over his face.

I'm not obsessed by size like some. For me it's not how tall or how heavy a player is, it's what he actually produces on the field so I don't discount players because they're supposedly too small for their position. Mostert is plenty big enough for lock or blindside flank and he has great energy and the heart of a warrior . . . which is more than I can say for the lumbering and ineffective Etzebeth.

Feb 08, 2019, 18:30

Rooinek

Etzebeth is what I call a clumsy player - easily brought down in tackles.   he rarely mnakes the hard yards expected from a lock.

The orc realized that Bakkies was gone - so he suddenly supported Etzebeth in 2012 - irrespective of his performance,

However, Du Toit was a different matter - the orc hated him because of a potential threat to Matfield.   Since then he writes BS about Du Toit every day he thinks he had some enw discovery he ca criticize can find reason to criticize Du Toit,

Most of what he came up is total BS and if he writes something immediately takes the opposite view - since his knowledge of the game is minus zero.   I ignore his BS - and thinking  members should just do so as well.  .   

Feb 08, 2019, 18:45

Etzebeth was first choice lock pick for the last 3 Bok coaches, but oul local experts know better. LMFAO!

Envy is a beech!

Feb 08, 2019, 19:03

Etzebeth is our best lock by some distance

Feb 08, 2019, 19:06

Elizabeth was exceptional in his first test this year against Argentina. Perhaps the best performance by a lock I have seen, with a work rate similar to Retallack but more mongrel and power.

His second game was pathetic and he restored to his wrestling move, where a tackler lines him up while a second or third player waits for him to hit the deck to rip the ball out of his hands or get a penalty for playing the ball on the floor. Everyone knows he is not going to pass. Just take him low, and he will trip up. 

For the rest of the season, he was more involved with exchange of handbags. I would play Ezebeth less so he is not so assured of a starting position. At his best he is brilliant, at his worst, he is a low work rate player. 

Feb 08, 2019, 19:15

"I would play Ezebeth less so he is not so assured of a starting position. At his best he is brilliant, at his worst, he is a low work rate player"

Lol."

Feb 08, 2019, 19:22

Feb 08, 2019, 18:04
I suspect a lot of the hype comes from the Cape where the mincing little Stompie supporters swoon and squeal with delight every time Etzebeth puts on his angry face . . . which is most of the time . . . unless he's involved in handbags when he has that silly "I are so tough I even smiles for you" grin slapped all over his face. 

The Stormers fans are in awe of their hero Elizabeth and have signed Ezbeth underpants bought on eBay.

Feb 08, 2019, 19:36

Related image

Feb 08, 2019, 20:29

'Mincing little Stompie fans'.......repitition alert.

You need to Log in to reply.