Quarter Finals

Forum » Rugby » Quarter Finals

Sep 10, 2019, 00:04

With the Aussies demolition of the declining kiwis in Perth it has increased a bit of interest in rugby personally. That flogging in Perth showed the kiwis arent the same team from four years ago and the refs are also not as scared of calling them for blatant infringements.

This all said - I went to the trouble of looking at quarter final match ups for Aussies yesterday.
So winner Pool C v Runner up Pool D and vice versa... this will be make or break for good outcome for this RWC.

England likely to win their pool with them then most likely play runner up of either Wales or Aussies.
It would be sad to see England v Aussies in quarters as either of these teams could go the whole way - Wales not so much...

So best case scenario is Wales to runner up and then play England in quarters with Aussies then to play runner up (France or Argies?) in quarters.

Havent given too much concern to other side of draw but same would apply if Saffas had to play ireland in quarters... in short... everyone wants to see the kiwis play the best teams and not to get another rigged ref induced gifted RWC like the very rigged one in NZ in 2011 where Bryce earned his stripes and Joubert robbed the french...

Sep 10, 2019, 01:38

....Redsman the way yr wombat team struggled with Samoa on the weekend it might not pay to plan too far ahead ...the Fijian headhunters are coming for you first up in Japan.. and who's to know where the Fijians in yr team allegiance lies....could be an early exit for Straya.

Sep 10, 2019, 04:14

Could be.. Fijians will be competitive - Radaraja a weapon... I think in XV man variant will struggle to put it together for 80mins. 

Good for Aussies reserves to have a solid hit out prior to start of RWC - better than demoralising the poor tongans.. especially after the kiwis been poaching their best PI players for the last 40yrs.

Samoans played well vs a second string aussie outfit - That night in perth reminded though that Aussies on their day can blitz anyone... if not so be it... we all just thank kiwi goth woman... how hideous is that being...

Sep 10, 2019, 04:42

The Aussie challenge will be determined by scrumming. Scrum as they did against the ABs in NZ and they wont get past the Quarters. Achieve close to parity in the scrums and Oz could contend.

Pity about Folau.

Sep 10, 2019, 04:50

...i'd say expect injuries, the Fijians won't take any prisoners ...Fiji paying $5.10 is the kinda odds i like.. $20 to win by 13 or more looks tasty as well...Aussies ripe for the picking...

Sep 10, 2019, 11:55

Pedsman all mouth and trousers as usual Brycy. West Islanders get their one out of twenty win vs the ABs and he gets all lippy. Strangely quiet the following week when they failed to trouble the scoreboard. When they do get knocked out of the RWC we’ll hear the good old excuses carted out again. “Rugby Union is only a minor sport, nobody watches it in Straya, the other sports get all the good players, blah blah wank wank etc...... Tiresome......

Sep 11, 2019, 07:39

lol lol lol... moolaa... you are funny dude...

Agree rugby is a 3rd tier (at best) sport here but Aussies still show their worth at every RWC so far... despite the blatant poor sportsmanship from an entire country in 2011...

Fiji will be good game - tournament football cant afford hot and cold -

I'd suggest Fijians could upset wales.., but unlikely to beat wallabies... welcome to put the house on the Fijians if you're that confident Brycey... 

The game I will be watching most closely in the first week will be Saffas v All Sacks... 

I think All Sacks will have more physicality in that game than Aussies v Fiji... in fact I predict SBW will be smashed senseless again and... at least heres hoping the saffas can put his arrogance back a few pegs...

Sep 11, 2019, 07:48

and yes Mozart... very big pity about Folau... considering all said was that gays along with heaps of other people will go to hell...

No as bad as about every other nations 1st XV's player's indiscretions... 

but this is what happens when a homo CEO of qantas is major sponsor and raylene the wicked witch of the shaky isles is displaying her prowess... top shelf leadership material that one... #FACEPALM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have moved on though and think Aussie forwards are actually looking OK - the 2nd bledisloe this year - Rory didnt play and kiwis were seriously butt hurt and still are incidentally... aussies always going to struggle playing a fired up, butthurt, all sack team after being seriously demolished the week before...  

Having lived and played bit of rugby in japan I think NH teams will need to have attacking element or will struggle on the firmer surfaces... Unless it rains lots I dont think big power forward dominated teams will come to fore... sadly my realistic picks are all sacks or poms or even saffas (if can keep key men on park).  

Sep 11, 2019, 09:34

...redsman going by what the aussies have ben saying there's only two guaranteed starters in yr team and that's the Fijians Kerevi and Korobete - both Fijians....

relying on Fijians to beat Fiji well there's faith for you.....the rest of yr team according to former Walllaby captain Mortlock aginst Samoa were a big disappointment...and he has huge concerns for the team....

he's calling yr attack one dimensional and says Ausies lack spark and varriation...and that was yr last crack to get it right before facing the MIGHTY FIJIANS...good luck mate

Sep 11, 2019, 11:59

The Fijians are a very different breed (literally) to the Polynesians. I do not foresee injuries via extreme physicality or off the ball incidents. In fact, it's something the Fijians themselves are susceptible too. You can't rule anyone with strike power out entirely, but it's rather unlikely that the Wallabies lose that test. 

When all is said and done. The only performance that really impressed me throughout the RC sides this season was from Australia. The only attack that looked genuinely threatening in a high level game was from Australia. So keep that in mind. We should all be very wary of Australia clicking. They have some very good options in that backline. If the pack can fire in the biggest games, they are real contenders. 

Sep 11, 2019, 23:37

that is the IF that keeps me coming back Augen..

IF their forwards and backs can fire... in key games...

As FIBA world cup shows in tournament sport cannot afford an off game... in pool match an off game for aussies wil mean versing England in QFs. Which would be anti-climax for both teams and allow the Sacks an easier pathway through.

Agree the Fijians are some of the best natured and most athletic people on the planet. Unlike the other PI countrys wont go out of their way to put on cheap shots rather will just compete..

As for Brycey's comment... lol... really? Australia finally caught on to kiwis tactic of preying on the poor island boys...

Good point made during the week that no "non-islander" ethincially speaking plays for any of these teams but every top tier has dozens of isalnders in their teams...

Sep 12, 2019, 04:42

...Redsman you'll notice the dopes around here that have been calling for Cheika to be sacked all year  suddenly are backing Aussie to win - on the back of one performance...let's hope the wombat team are more than just one hit wonders and can beat the Fijians ...otherwise it's back to "off with Cheikas head again...funny how the coach always gets the blame when yr team is shit...

Sep 12, 2019, 07:17

You sound desperate. You should be. :D

Sep 12, 2019, 07:36

...and watchout for Tonga as well the same dope said  just before the ABs put a hundy on them...

You need to Log in to reply.