Rainbow Cup Dates Confirmed

Forum » Rugby » Rainbow Cup Dates Confirmed

Mar 26, 2021, 14:30

So it looks like we finally have some dates confirmed as to who would be playing who when. 

The first 3 rounds just feel like we'll be watching some teams over and over. 

I for one miss the super 12, the excitement and playing against the top Aus and NZ teams. I just wish we could go back to that format. 

That said, I will just be happy to see our team compete internationally. 

However, I am disappointed  that we only have 4 teams. Would have love to see the cheetahs. 

So Ire, Wales and SA has 4 teams, Scotland and Italy has 2 respectively but I just feel that  SA has far more to offer and could field up to 6 teams. Namely adding the cheetahs and either the Pumas or Griquas, depending on who is the top team. 

I do believe that our provinces are losing out, but I would have like to see a local league that is split into 2 with an 8 / 6 split. 

SA teams would play a round of knockouts between the top 8, the top 5 qualify for Europe, play in the European league. The remaining 3 drop down and continue to play against our lower tier teams to qualify the following year for the top 8. 

That way all of our teams will have a  fair chance to  play in an A league in SA that has value, bonus to qualify for Europe 

Mar 27, 2021, 14:13

Irish media are reporting that the Rainbow Cup will trial a new red card system.

In the event of a red card the player who received the red card remains permanently sent off but his team can bring on a replacement player after 20 minutes.

Think this might be a good idea, an awful lot of the 6 Nation games where affected by red cards and while there was legit reasons for them in many situations they where not intentional.

Mar 27, 2021, 16:00

Ridiculous idea ! We’re in the territory of kids sport now, where no-one gets punished and everyone wins a prize !! 

Mar 27, 2021, 17:10

What do you mean, no one gets punished and everyone gets a prize? there would still be a 20 minute period where the team is down a player. The player would remain off for the game and face any additional sanctions that red cards often merit. A significant punishment but at least if their is a red card committed early in a game it no longer means the match is over as a competitive spectacle.

Take that Finn Russell red card in the game against France. Had that happened in the first half the game would of been over. Finn Russell is not a dirty player, he attempted to go for a fend off but his timing was off and ended up being elbow on chest/neck area. Fine you can argue it was a sending off but its very hard for something that was no doubt unintentional.

Mar 28, 2021, 03:39

Becs I agree with Stav here.....the fans are also punished by these red cards. I’d make it the same as a yellow, except the penalized player can’t come back, another player can.....and then I’d make the bans from subsequent games very punitive, season long if warranted. I think that will be more of a deterrent than the current system and not destroy the games with uneven contests, which is becoming increasingly the case with all the new safety rules.

Mar 28, 2021, 04:39

I agree with the red carded player being replaced, especially given the inconsistency with which these cards are handed out. One overzealous ref shouldn't be allowed to ruin an entire game of rugby with a dubious early red.

Mar 28, 2021, 11:36

Yep 100% it’s a great idea especially considering most these reds are a load of shit these days

Mar 28, 2021, 12:46

I agree too, but 20 min is still  a quarter of the match...make it 15...and make the sanction for dirty play harsher. Punish the offenders, not the fans.

Mar 29, 2021, 14:49

They have been doing it in Ice Hockey for ages. I think it is a  great idea.  Especially how important the bench has become. 

The new head injury rules  are very  tough,  but this is the price we have to pay for player safety, especially around contact sports. 

But just looking it from the other side, there has been some famous wins, like the one we saw against  France  or the Sharks beating the Crusaders with 13 men in Christchurch. That game was epic. 

Mar 29, 2021, 15:40

It is also worth separating professional fouls, vs accidental. 

If a defending team can prevent a certain try with a professional foul, it is worth giving away 3 points or even a 10-minute yellow card. 

Apr 01, 2021, 17:29

Reports from the UK is that the South African Rugby teams may be able to qualify into the Champions/Challenge Cup depending where they finish in the Rainbow Cup.

I'm all for South African teams inclusion but I don't think its fair on the teams that though they already qualified based on finishing position of the Pro 14 season that just concluded. Probably should be put off until the first proper season of the Pro 16.

Apr 02, 2021, 20:34

Yes the refs are using the Red Card to often for my liking and yes many a game has been lost due to the team suffering a early red card.

Db's suggestion of trimming the the time gets a big YES from me.

Also agree with Sharkbok regarding his post on professional against accidental fouls.

My wife is suggesting that all players wear scrumcaps????????????

Sure will elevate E Jantjies into looking more like a rugby player.

You need to Log in to reply.