Rassie must experiment against Argies next week

Forum » Rugby » Rassie must experiment against Argies next week

Aug 11, 2019, 10:57

Last chance to see what guys can do and other certainties game time. 

Team could be. 

Gqboka, Brits  Kock

Lood, Snyman

Kwagga (last chance saloon - this great hearted player should have been a backline player - talk about vision and skills very robust for his size 92 kg)

Marcell Coetzee (8)

ReinachJ antjies

Frans, Kriel

Leyds, Willie (on wing) Gelant

Given Nyakane can also play loose head only Beast and Kitshoff will be picked?

I definitely want to see more of Marcell (Kolisi could prevent him from going) Reinach (brilliant player but kolbe's performance at 9 could torpedo him. Leyds and Reinach are also good players. Leyds covering full back and wing.

Then we have injured players like Dyanti, Willemse and Nkosi.

The utility players could get the nod and make selecting the squad tricky. 

Anyhow given all the firing players a last shot.

Losing the test as we did in the USA last year must not be a concern. The finalization of the RWC squad must have top priority no matter what the coaches win/loss record looks like eh Dr Moz! 

Aug 11, 2019, 12:52

I agree about experimenting and the fact is that I think the following players have already shoiwn what they are capable of and should get a break - to keep on playing them is problematic since injuries are always a threat,.  

De Allende, Du Toit, Pollard, Nyakane, Mtawarira

I would play the rest of the squad on Saturday - but since Willemse is fit again I would call him up and hive him the full back position instead of Gelant - who is NOT a test standard player.

I would rather give Jantjies another start and put Steyn on the bench.  At halftime I will move  Willemse to flyhalf and bring Steyn on at full back, where his club recently played him.  Too slow in pace and too slow thinking,  playing at center and flyhalf is not his forte..  

I am not sure what team the Pumas would bring to SA to play on Saturday,   In 2015 they used their "B" team for the warm-up test against SA - so what will happen this year?   

Aug 11, 2019, 15:32

Frans must start and play all 80 minutes if he can. 

Brief little performances prove nothing. He has to prove himself or otherwise. So let's settle this issue. 

Glad Willemse is fit. Give him a shot. That said Gelant did well against Oz.

It's going to be a hard time telling some of the guys they haven't made it. 

Aug 11, 2019, 16:16

What has Steyn done in the three games he came from the bench ?

First game  

Fouled up the defensive line in the try scored by Foley.  Three carries making 18 meters - ie a 3 meter average  per carry.  No tackles - missing 1   very average performance with a serious question mark as to defense.

Second game

Carried the ball twice - making zero meters, 5 tackles made I missed - a totally inadequate performance

Third game   

Four carries making 18 meters - a bit better than the first match. No tackles made and he was passed once when going forward to make tackle.

Very dicey to put any money on Steyn as starting center.   He may be useful at full back - but at center or flyhalf he is not test material at all.        

Aug 11, 2019, 16:34

Frans has performed better in these past three tests than Damian has in his entire test career! There. Case closed. If you want to gush over his breakdown skills, Louw and Kwagga have that spot down. :D

Aug 11, 2019, 17:02

Kwagga was blown away. 

He cant play in tests where it's a forward battle. 

Take it from Beeno, the one who knows. 

Frans has done precious little. He has hardly been on the field!

I need hard evidence not emotional gushes. 

Beeno standing for hard headed rugby realism. Huffer huffing away. Global warming threat! 

Aug 11, 2019, 17:16

Herr Sitzsack, you have been seduced by the wicked sorcery of Damme Lügnerin. We are only trying to help you. 

Aug 11, 2019, 19:40

Hahaha....that's more hair than Muck left at his barber shop for the last 20 years.

Aug 11, 2019, 22:14

Idiot Soeak at its loudest again.  I thought the humiliation you two suffered through the capture of the RC Trophy - a first since the introduction of the RC in 2012 - would teach you a valuable lesson to avoid rugby idiocy - but apparently idiocy continues unabated.

That shows the team is BETTER and coached better than anything that happened under the daft Meyer and useless Coetzee.  Comprehende?   

Aug 11, 2019, 22:22

It shows we are emphasizing defence and field position as opposed to the oh so popular 'expansive game'. HM to his detriment tried to give fans what they wanted, with Rassie it's defence and box kicks. Can it take us all the way, time will tell.

Aug 11, 2019, 23:51

It is almost impossible for an inside centre to be on the pitch for 20 minutes or so and not make one tackle. 

Aug 12, 2019, 09:42

If Rassie still has to experiment, at this stage of the game, we are fucked.

Aug 12, 2019, 10:00

No Mozart

The difference between Erasmus and Meyer is vast.  Meyer did not use the backline properly and never put an emphasis on attacking - while he missed out on defense as well.   Fact is that Meyer had no game plan and was totally ignorant about backline usage.   Erasmus is the exact opposite using all players playing a comprehensive game - which idiots like you and AO cannot identify properly.  

Aug 12, 2019, 10:05

Ceradunce

Sure a WC squad is made up of 31 players and there are some players to be eliminated from the squad and that is where some experiments need to be finalized,  

Unlike Meyer - who used reputation as a selection criterium - Erasmus is interested in getting the best performers in his WC squad,   Unlike Meyer  in 2015 he does not want to include as many as 10 unplayables in his squad for the 2019 WC. .  

Aug 12, 2019, 10:05

Ceradunce

Sure a WC squad is made up of 31 players and there are some players to be eliminated from the squad and that is where some experiments need to be finalized,  

Unlike Meyer - who used reputation as a selection criterium - Erasmus is interested in getting the best performers in his WC squad,   Unlike Meyer  in 2015 he does not want to include as many as 10 unplayables in his squad for the 2019 WC. .  

Aug 12, 2019, 10:16

"If Rassie still has to experiment, at this stage of the game, we are fucked."

Really?

Well, consider this.....I hope it doesn't happen but if it does the Boks would be in deep trouble.......who is Pollard's replacement in the event of an injury? Besides it would be ridiculous playing Pollard in all of the WC games.

Noticeably little Elton didn't make the bench and he is not a like for like replacement anyway so forget him.

Aug 12, 2019, 10:55

@Denny.

What you have said is exactly the reason why I said what I said. Jantjies has been around for seven years and hopefully everybody, including Rassie, is by now aware of his limitations. If, at this stage, there is no real “second Pollard”, what are the chances of Rassie finding one by this Saturday?

I agree 100% with you that Pollard cannot be expected to play each and every RWC game but what is the solution? What are the chances of finding it through experimentation in a dead rubber game?

My worry for this RWC, is the same one that I had in previous RWCs. In general the difference between our first and second choice are just too big. Ideally the difference between the first and second choice players should be very marginal and not light years apart as it normally is.

At this stage, IMO, there is some positions where the choices between first and second choice players are difficult because there is not much to chose between them. Unfortunately, in many cases the first choice player is too obvious because the back up/s are so crap/absent. The Pollard scenario, as you said is the perfect example.

That is why the All Blacks of, previous RWC campaigns one might add, were so good. The second choice/back up players are almost or just as good as the first choice.

I truly hope Rassie proves me wrong.....

Aug 12, 2019, 11:02

@Mike,

My point is this. If Rassie, at this stage, do not know who his squad will be then he is a hopeless case. I would agree that there may be one or two positions where he don’t know who his second or third player should be but that should really be the exception.

What’s more is that one dead rubber test is not going to give him any clarity. If there still are choices to be made, he will have to rely on what he has seen in the 2019 RC and Super Rugby tournament and his gut feeling. Not this coming “friendly”.

Aug 12, 2019, 11:10

Doubt thiis a dead rubber test for the players. At stake is a place in the RWC for Pete's sake. There is a chance to play oneself in or out of the squad.

Fact is there are players who are pretty close when is comes to selection. This is last chance saloon.

Aug 12, 2019, 11:35

J-Raz had his WC team pencilled in last year. He is a very stubborn man, never discarding a bad idea, or player. He only has one way to play and that's it for the Bok. Skop 'N Pop to glory. Maybe. :O 

Aug 12, 2019, 11:54

“Posted by: Beeno1 (29272 posts) Aug 12, 2019, 11:10

Doubt this is a dead rubber test for the players. At stake is a place in the RWC for Pete's sake. There is a chance to play oneself in or out of the squad.

Fact is there are players who are pretty close when is comes to selection. This is last chance saloon.”

OK, have it your way but I still say that if any player think that he can play himself into the squad in this game or if, indeed, Rassie will still be using this game to finalise his squad then he (Rassie) is in no way as much of a genius as you would like us to believe.

You need to Log in to reply.