Reducing the age of the Bok side

Forum » Rugby » Reducing the age of the Bok side

Apr 25, 2022, 20:57

The majority of our incumbents are close to or over the age of 30

We need to be looking to reduce this factor moving forward without compromising the quality of the side

Here goes:

15. Gelant (26)

14. Nkosi (26)

13. Am (28)

12. de Allende (30)

11. Kolbe (28)

10. Pollard (28)

9. Faf (30)

1. Ox (26)

2. Marx (27)

3. Wilco Louw (27)

4. Etzebeth (30)

5. RG Snyman (27)

6. Kolisi (29)

7. PSDT (29)

8. Evan Roos (22)

16. Dweba (26) 17. Kitshoff (30) 18.Thomas du Toit (26) 19. Jason Jenkins (26) 20. Kwagga (28) 21. Jantjies (26) 22. Willemse (23) 23. Esterhuizen (28)

With a younger A side:

15. Fassi (24)

14. Tambwe (24)

13. Similane (24)

12. Rickus Pretorious (23)

11. Zas (26)

10. Libbok (24)

9. Hendrikse (22)

1. Gerhard Steenkamp (25)

2. Grobelaar (24)

3. Sadie (24)

4. Ruben Schoeman (26)

5. JD Schickerling (26)

6. Buthelezi (22)

7. JL du Preez (26)

8. Dan du Preez (26)

16. JJ Wessels (20) 17. Boan Venter (25) 18. Sazi Sandi (23) 19. Moerat (24) 20. Elrigh Louw (22) 21. vd Bergh (24) 22. Hendrikse (20) 23. James Mollentze (22)

Apr 25, 2022, 21:53

Your side at 27.5 is not young, hell the average WC winning side is 28.5. So by the time these clowns get to the WC they will be older than average winning team. Most of these guys would  be Boks already if they were really exceptional.

But I could help with your age issue drop the Duds and Kolisi. At least that would have a purpose.

Apr 25, 2022, 22:54

Wake up Moz I’ve reduced the age and the WC is next year for crying out loud so that WC average you quote will be the age of my side - hellooooo

I’m not stupid and rugby ignorant enough to drop the best 12 in the game nor our great leader and player who after Eben, was our best player on the EOYT

I’m not stupid

Apr 25, 2022, 23:40

The issue is do the powers that be have the courage to make the move to lower the average group, introduce younger skilled players and drop experience players in the process.

I would suggest not. 

On a side note I watch the Lions game a week ago and was amazed to see Jannie du Plessis on the field as "Skipper".

Man just how desperate are the teams and what happened to the young guns?

Apr 26, 2022, 00:39

C’mon Dave what did you expect ….a pat on the back….hahaha!

Apr 26, 2022, 00:49

To answer your question Arthur….nope Harrassmiss not only knows his team and subs, he knows the minute he’s going to bring them on in the pool games. The team is the team and incumbents only get dropped if a younger player makes an undeniable case…..which is how all great teams are built. One of the things the coaches have got right.

Look for Mostert at the first substitution in the first pool game.

Apr 26, 2022, 01:32

Vermuelen and Willie Leroux will certainly be on the plane to France at the World cup. 
Frans Steyn might not make it, especially given he is not even playing URC

Elton Jantjies will also be on the plane, given his level of experience and the World Cup is soon. 
Bongi at hooker, again with so much experience he is a certainty.

Reinach maybe,,, as a bench player. 

Jessica Kriel, hopefully not. He was terrible on the wing in the last matches, useless.

Dejagger will probably be on the plane, barring injury. 

Mapimpi still has pace, and should retain this until at least the world cup. 
Nyakana being able to play both loose and tight head will mean he is an almost certainty. 

Vincent Koch is solid, but we have better. 

Apr 26, 2022, 10:42

I think this year will be defining for Willie and Vermeulen as the competition behind them is fierce

If they do not show the same level as they did at the WC then they need to go.

RG Snyman is better than Lood so it’s an obvious call to make there. Lood will drop to the bench with Mostert thankfully missing out on the match 23.

Wilco Louw and Thomas du Toit are just as good as Malherbe and Nyakane so select the younger options I say

Mapimpi still has it so no issue with him being retained but we have class youngsters in Nkosi and Tambwe breathing down his neck, with Fassi also an option on the wing

Willemse is so much better than Frans Steyn it’s like comparing water to wine

Apr 26, 2022, 11:10

Ja, really good pick, some very talented youngsters that needs to be bloodied this year. Even if they don't get on the plane for WC. However, would be good to have UK based capped boks just across the ditch if we need reinforcements. 

I wonder what the right number youngsters we need in the squad. Jessie has been in the WC since he was about 23 and this will now be 3rd WC  appearance if he makes it. 

It is a bit tricky, because you are 21 or 22 when the world cup comes around then you could have 3 tournaments in you. 

Also, SA alway won the the WC with at least one remaining survivor from the last time we won it. Namely Os and then Frans Steyn. 

You need to Log in to reply.