RG Snyman and Duane Vermeulen....

Forum » Rugby » RG Snyman and Duane Vermeulen....

May 04, 2019, 22:18

....stick with moz.

May 04, 2019, 22:36

May 04, 2019, 22:36

The offload skills and awareness of RG are phenomenal. It would be great to bring him on planned moves.

Vermeulen has the all-around game required of an international forward. He can mix and match based on the game status quo. He showed he still has some pace.

Stick with SharkBok- these were my calls (before-hand)

May 05, 2019, 01:45

Well good egg Sharkbok, so many of these so called experts were telling us Vermeulen is too slow and he doesn't play the full game. But he ran one in from 65 metres and when the opposing wing finally caught up, he used him as a doormat.

Then when the Bools were trapped on their line and the Brumbies had two lineouts, he disrupted the first one and stole the ball from the middle of the maul on the next one.

Absolutely saved the match.

And RG was sensational, roping in skew throws, brilliantly turning over the ball and offloading like SBW.

There's your Bok number 8 and number 5 lock....add Etzebeth and we may really have our first settled lock combination since Matfield and Bakkies.

May 05, 2019, 06:43

Pollard had one of his poorer performances and was at fault for Beale's try. He shouldn't have tried so hard to cover the outside, Beale doesn't have the pace to run around players but has a wicked inside step.

May 05, 2019, 07:47

add  Van Staden and Ruan Botha o the list, both had great games and suddenly there's some serious beef in our forwards.

May 05, 2019, 08:06

I expected what will happen after Vermeulen's once in a lifetime occurrence yesterday would lead to endless antics by Mozart.   

So lets look at the rest of the season - as well as the  fact that for the rest that Vermeulen showed nothing in the game yesterday.   After that effort he did squat in the rest of the game as is evidenced by his tackle count - 4 tackles made, 2 missed,  I would rather have  a player who showed more ability than lasting for 30 minutes in games and who could run 60 meters without losing his breath totally.

One games miracles do not help and players playing on reputation do not either,  I watched the games objectively yesterday and would like to point out the following to the sheeple:-

*     Fact is that Pollard showed that he is not a captain's backside or perhaps he is.    The Bulls could have lost the game by an inch and that he fouled up badly by taking two penalties at goal - which he missed anyway in rather windy conditions - when he should have made corner kicks,   The Waratahs cracked badly under pressure - but Pollard preferred to see his own team under  pressure.   

*     Now lets put another player in perspective as well.   Etzebeth yesterday was a typical example of a reputation player making near to zero contribution to team performance,   Fact is he in a major way contributed to the loss of the team yesterday,   Knock-ons, useless penalties and poor line-out play makes for a poor show by a player who better start improving in performance,   His performance yesterday can be equated to BS.   On yesterday's performance  Wiese contributed three timers as much to the game than Etzebeth did. 

*     Time for Fleck to go as Stormers coach,   When a team goes crazy under the coach  - but then Mozart will agree with him - it is time or him to go.   Kicking penalties at goal routinely may have partial benefits, but often enough lose games rather than win games.   That was the main reason for the loss yesterday against the Jaguares,   Games are won by scoring tries - not by goal kicks.   The Stormers yesterday was totally disinterested in scoring tries and they were a disaster,                                

May 05, 2019, 08:43

Ease up on the happy pills ou Mike, you're making us all giddy.

May 05, 2019, 10:26

Snyman is up their with Marx for me right now.

Chuck PSDT, DDP, JLDP, Mostert, Kitshoff, Lizo, Sadie, Marco VS, Kwagga and a few others in the mix...We have a young, skillful, brutal set piece and open play pack.

Marco van Staaden has been great this year for me. Looks a lot cleverer than Bulls are supposed to be. I guess he and Snyman we're educated in JHB :):):)

Eben hasn't given us an 80 minute performance in a long time.

Beast is great but his experience is more valuable than his ability at this point. 

Duane struggles with consistency. To many miles on the clock and is somewhere between Eben and Beast in that regard.

I'd have them on the bench knowing that I've got some big aces up my sleeve and give them a window were they can perform at their best for a short while. Get quality instead of quantity out of them. Might be the start of the game or the end. Depends what's required.

May 05, 2019, 10:52

Van Staden did support (anchor) Nyakane in a very similar way Juan Smit anchored John Smit in the tighthead position.... so much so that John Smit insisted to have Juan as his flank. 

May 05, 2019, 11:18

What da Hell! Why don't we all just STFUP and let the Rugby World Authority tell us how it is?? Following that I suggest we wait until he decides as to when/or if we can offer an opinion.

May 05, 2019, 11:23

Plum you forget Ruan Botha........now there's prime beef with ability.

May 05, 2019, 13:15

Hahaha.....old Mikey obviously missed Vermeulen's two Tah lineout rejects in the last 5 minutes of the game......cataract surgery seriously needed.

Stick with moz for the real scoop.

By the way I agree with Shezza, Pollard had a real stinker. His open field cross kick landing just outside the 22 leading to the Tahs first try was another poor decision. But his taking the shots at goal were all justified. Just a bad day at the office....nothing to worry about.

May 05, 2019, 15:22

Vermuelen did a couple of great things but loafed most of the game. Can he perform for 80 minutes is the question. No reason why he can't but it would be reassuring to see it. 

Plum is correct give someone like Daniel du Preez or Coetzee a chance. 

I taped the Stormers/Jag match. Heard Cioetzee will play 6. Interested to see how he goes. 

May 05, 2019, 16:16

Mozart

No - I keep my eyes clear and open and not clouded by prejudice.   I see what really happens and not want I want to see.   

May 05, 2019, 18:38

A match winner turns the game at key moments, much like Vermeulen. A good all-around game, and he is still very effective at getting turnovers and slowing opposition possession. The way he handed off that wing must have been highly embarrassing for the Ozzie player. 

The creatine twins just don't have this all-around game. Both of them do nothing at the base of the ruck, zilch. 

May 05, 2019, 20:26

Shark

I'm also a fan of his. How could anyone not be?

Just looks like he'd be better of playing 40 minutes at full pace rather than 80 at half.

Everyone keeps underestimating the Dups bros.

I like them and i think Marx, Snyman and PSDT are all on the same page as them with the type of game they wanna and can play. The above three guys, with Kitshoff are our best forwards right now. 

Bad reasoning?

May 05, 2019, 20:45

Kitshoff has done nothing of note this entire super series....not bad, just not that imposing. I'll leave out Stephanie....his fans can't be persuaded even though there is a negative correlation between him at flank and success.

The Diesel twins had a good game Friday...and it was against a very balanced team. To me they are not in Vermeulen's league....but they have improved this year.....less of the Keystone Cops handling.

May 06, 2019, 04:22

Well there you are, the board is all good to go while the Rugby World Cup authority has a lie-down. Everyone tires of the same old sous. 

On a rugby note the Sharks have perhaps the best defence compared to not only the SAFFA conference but against all other teams as well.

May 06, 2019, 08:26

Ag foeitog - the anti-Du Toit campaign still in full swing even when he was not playing this past weekend.    What a farce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Then we have the kicking at goal idiocy in full swing again,   Please watch what the NZ teams do all the time - they may kick at goal at the start of games and in the last few minutes in games they play in - the SA teams kick throughout the game at goal - even in adverse conditions like the case was this past weekend.    

Mozart claims he is a mathematician - but fails to understand that the chances are 2 to 1 that the kicking at goal story does not work out,   Lets put it plainly - three kicks at goal is required to get more points than 1 converted  try would deliver.   

The Bulls nearly fell into that trap on Saturday - the Stormers did.  

May 06, 2019, 08:32

Who is better at 7 than Du Toit currently?

Give me a name.

May 06, 2019, 08:34

CC

I am afraid you can expect a list that would even amaze Mickey Mouse.

May 06, 2019, 09:32

You ask:Who is better at 7 than Du Toit currently?

Give me a name.

Well nobody is imo better than PSDT @7.

The problem lies at 6.

We just simply do not have a Ruben Kruger or a young Schalk Burger.

Best we have is Coetzee, Kwagga Smit, Jako Kriel or Van Staden.

I haven't seen Coetsee in action for ages, bur I do value Saffex's choices from time to time. Kwagga Smit is prepared to battle for the ball on the ground and he is quite fast in open play, but is he strong enough when he has to wrestle for the ball? Not a bad choice.

Jako Kriel was brilliant when he played in SA, but politics favoured Kolisi and Jako left for better financial opportunities in Europe.

My choice however is Marko van Staden. Wonderful supporter for his tighthead prop, thus enforcing dominance of his entire forwards pack. Also a hard worker in the ruck and mauls and never afraid to play towards the ball. Under correction now, but it seems to me he might be 1 or 2 kilos overweight which may influence his open field pace.

Sorry, I have no place for Kolisi ..... at least not in my starting 15.

May 06, 2019, 11:51

Agreed Blikkies....fair is fair, van Staden walks the side and Kolisi doesn't make the squad.

May 06, 2019, 12:04

Does anyone remember van Staden last year for the Boks? He was useless. Although he probably deserves another shot. He was highly rated by Rassie-  longer before he was known to everyone else

May 06, 2019, 12:13

Sharkie Rassie has a rugby brain despite what some think. Stick with Beeno on this one!

May 06, 2019, 13:38

Van Staden was out of his depth in the tests last year....and despite his solid performances this year, it's hard to imagine he will suddenly be right at the WC. And if he is, the genius Rassie has wasted a year.

Kolisi has been an absentee so far....one assumes there is another gear, but there hasn't been enough evidence of that historically to be sure. The fact is he is feeble at ruck time.

Stephanie his compadre is equally inept when the ball is on the deck. These have to be the two worst ball protecting flanks in internationl rugby. Who needs a lock out on the wing....silly stuff.

Net of all this is Rassie has made no progress in building a real loosie unit, just as he has made no progress in resolving our centres.

May 06, 2019, 14:09

Moz: "Kitshoff has done nothing of note this entire super series....not bad, just not that imposing."

I did not watch much rugby and did not focus on him too much, but I must say, the scrums looked quite solid and he carries the ball well. He has also competed very well on the deck...couple of turnovers/penalties in the last few matches. Like Marx-lite? I don't have time to check the stats, but it might reveal an extra layer to his play.

May 06, 2019, 14:13

The anti Dui Toit attack is at full swing.   He is inept at breakdowns - yet he won more turnover ball than  any other SA 7 and even beat Vermeulen in that component of the game.   The problem here remains - Mozart look for every possible reason to blame  Du Toit for things going wrong instead of looking at what actual contribution he made to teams.   But then he does not want to see what happens in games and keep us entertained with arguments nobody really can believe.

And as to Kitshoff the same non-seeing contributions

Keep it up Mozart - your contributions are a laugh a minute!!!!!!!!:D:D:D   

May 06, 2019, 15:03

Draad the Fox Sports lab doesn't show Kitshoff with any official pilfers....although that number perhaps doesn't count forced penalties because it's generally low all round.

In general play his numbers are very close, but slightly inferior to those of the Beast.

May 06, 2019, 15:19

From the Planet Rugby Team of the Week:

8 Duane Vermeulen (Bulls): Showed why he is the Springboks’ first-choice number eight with a superb all-round display in his side’s narrow victory over the Waratahs in Pretoria. Vermeulen was prominent with ball in hand, gaining 71 metres from seven carries which included a memorable break where he beat two defenders and scored a deserved try. Reds veteran Scott Higginbotham and Dan du Preez of the Sharks also impressed.

May 06, 2019, 16:05

One incident in the year trumps the whole issue of non-performance in most matches this year.   To use one unique incident that never happened before - like happened on Saturday - as a norm is definitely below par thinking.   

May 06, 2019, 17:06

Actually that one incident put to rest the whole pace argument you have been making.....I can just imagine the egg dribbling out your mouth as Vermeulen stormed those 65 metres.

Ek het leker gelag ou swaer....stick with moz and avoid moments like this.

May 06, 2019, 17:18

I have no problem with Beast starting and Kitsie on the bench...and vice versa for other matches.

As for turnover stats...or the lack thereof, I'm surprised , I know he won some penalties, but am sure he pilfered a few too...I must be getting old if I can't trust my gut anymore. :'(

May 06, 2019, 17:59

Here Draad an aid to the intuition:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/super-rugby/stats/players?position=looseheadProp&sortBy=pilfers

May 06, 2019, 22:18

Either Beast or Kitsie must make way for Ngoboka. I was massively impressed with this guy, which I previously believed was just a flash in the pan or a  50 min player. But no, this guy has an immense brute strength. On the other side of the scrum, we saw in the past how Nyakane struggled, but after Van Staden started behind him, the Shark front row is up there with the best. I fail to see any value in the argument Beast has more experience blah, blah, blah. If another guy appear on the scene, be thankful for the time you had, but accept the fact that there is someone better and stand back.

May 07, 2019, 06:10

Blik, don't mind Gqoboka in the mix, but he need to earn his spot from the bench in lesser matches and should only get into the team through injury or if he is clearly much better. Props, in particular, need lots of experience.  I think it's too late for him this RWC. At best he should only be back up to the other 2.

May 07, 2019, 06:21

Blik, I think that 1 and 3 are the positions on the field where experience is most valuable. There are dark arts at the front of the scrum that no amount of talent or physical strength can compensate for. I'm not saying that Beast is the automatic choice, but to thrust Ngoboka into the Bok side at this late stage, and expect him to perform at the world cup, is tantamount to throwing him to the wolves. Yes he has everything it takes, and the signs are very good, but an experienced opposition prop will almost certainly outfox him at this early stage in his career. 

May 07, 2019, 12:37

The Bok front row is looking healthy.

There is decent competition in the second row as well.

Rassie's choice of Kolisi at skipper has screwed the loosie balance though. 

Especially when one considers the real talent that we have there. 

I like Kolisi. He's a decent player and seemingly a bery good guy but his being skipper is as much a problem on the field as it is a solution off of it.

May 07, 2019, 17:41

Yes Plum, his appointment as captain created way more problems than it solved. I'm surprised he took the captaincy. .first black captain for the Boks and everything that comes with the captaincy.  He's no fool, so I suppose he has brass balls:D...and he actually had a good RC last year. I'm surprised he could even play under that pressure....and yet, I'm sure there's more to it than we know now, much more...wait for his book in a few years.

May 08, 2019, 07:58

It's happening again. Kitshoff, Marx and Malherbe are now a settled and secure combination. We don't have many of those going into the WC. Beast has been solid as well. Eben and RG at lock. I'm not interested in starting Steph at 7 considering he misses nearly 40% defensive encounters far too often - one big, accurate showing for the Boks. Simply isn't mobile enough, and was comfortably overpowered by the NH sides. Thor at 8, but I do like the twins, in-spite of some issues. Kolisi is a back, and this Super rugby campaign has been the final nail. No leadership and cannot hang with the heavies. 

May 08, 2019, 08:19

Aug

Welcome back guy.

What's with the vanishing? Making those vids burn you out or are you just busy?

May 08, 2019, 22:13

Poor old Vermeulen looked like a cart horse on that run but credit to him, it was a great effort. The old boy is a hard nut.

As for RG he is pure class - great athlete with so much skill.

An attacking weapon with his desire to free his hands and offload.

Simply has to be in the Bok side

You need to Log in to reply.