RG Snyman back in training

Forum » Rugby » RG Snyman back in training

Jan 20, 2023, 00:13

Kleyn: Snyman's return to field training is exciting for Munster players

'There's not a single fella that's not excited to have him as part of the team and back in training, back on the pitch. He's a fella that slotted in incredibly well from the start, he's an incredibly likeable guy,' Kleyn said.

RG Snyman returned to training with the full Munster squad on Wednesday but while he still has no return date, his presence on the Thomond Park pitch has brought excitement to his team-mates, Jean Kleyn said.

South Africa’s World Cup-winning lock nearing a comeback from the second of two serious knee injuries that have blighted his time in Ireland, having joined Munster in the summer of 2020.

The 27-year-old has managed just four appearances in two-and-a-half seasons, sustaining his initial injury on his Munster debut in August 2020 and a second major setback in the third of three comeback games off the bench in October 2021.

Munster have said Snyman will not return this side of the Six Nations which runs from February 4 to March 18 but the Springbok took part in the squad’s warm-up and skills sessions in Limerick as preparations continued for Sunday’s crunch European pool finale at Toulouse as well as continuing his running rehab.

"I actually can't commend the man more,” fellow lock Kleyn said of Snyman on Wednesday. “He's had two years from hell in terms of not just his injuries, but family bereavements, being away from home as well during all of this.

“I think it speaks volumes of his character that he's still coming in every day, big smile on his face, always involved. He has been sitting in on meetings for the last two years and still trying to add even though he knows he's six or eight months out - obviously that's six to eight months ago.

"There's not a single fella that's not excited to have him as part of the team and back in training, back on the pitch. He's a fella that slotted in incredibly well from the start, he's an incredibly likeable guy.

“His resilience is insane. I've never met a fella who has gone through more and maintained a more positive mindset. It's astonishing. I'd say if I was in the same position, I would just have thrown the towel in.

"Nothing seems to be able to keep him down for too long. He's a phenomenal guy. We're all very much looking forward to seeing him on the pitch again. He was involved during the warm up and a bit of skills today and you can just see that the man is just an athlete.

“He's a 6' 10", 135 kilo athlete, which is scary. So we're all looking forward to seeing him involved again. He's going to be a massive benefit to the team."

Jan 20, 2023, 03:59

Hell I hope he catches a break!

Jan 20, 2023, 05:04

That is good news....hope everything runs smoothly.

Jan 20, 2023, 15:27

What rotten luck that the best lock talent I've ever seen ends up pulling a Butch James! Hopefully he finds some fitness like Butch. 

Jan 20, 2023, 15:38

For all the guys bad luck at this point he deserves to win the lottery.

Jan 20, 2023, 21:32

He is a huge fucker

6’10 and 135kg

Jan 21, 2023, 10:50

That seems to be the problem...too big...pity, great player with great hands.

You need to Log in to reply.