Rohan Janse v Rensburg most defenders beaten in Prem

Forum » Rugby » Rohan Janse v Rensburg most defenders beaten in Prem

Feb 13, 2020, 18:06

Rohan Janse van Rensburg wants to power Sale into the Gallagher Premiership play-offs and relaunch his Springbok career with the aim of facing the British and Irish Lions on their 2021 tour of South Africa.

Van Rensburg, 6ft and 17st, has become one of the most destructive ball-carrying centre’s in Europe and will have a key role to play as Sale attempt to inflict more pain on Saracens when the teams meet in the Premiership at Allianz Park on Saturday. The 25-year-old goes into that game having beaten 47 defenders – more than any other player in the Premiership.

Saracens are already resigned to relegation after breaking the salary cap while Sale are in third place just four points behind leaders Exeter, the team they beat 22-19 at Sandy Park in their last league fixture. Van Rensburg was cited for a big tackle on Exeter’s Gareth Steenson and despite being cleared he had to wait for the verdict after an appeal against the ruling by the Rugby Football Union.

He was again found not guilty and lines up against Saracens, the team that showed Sale the value of a strong South African in the ranks.

Besides van Rensburg, the Sale squad now features the South African rugby talents of skipper Jono Ross, the three du Preez brothers Rob, Dan and Jean Luc, prop Coenie Oosthuizen, lock Lood de Jager, hooker Akker van der Merwe and mercurial scrumhalf Faf de Klerk who is expected back from his knee ligament injury in two weeks.

If that wasn’t enough to make van Rensburg feel at home, his brother Tiaan has joined the Manchester police force after transferring from Glasgow.

Van Rensburg, whose only cap came against Wales in 2016, is acutely aware of the role Sale played in reviving de Klerk’s test career with the scrumhalf and de Jager having helped the Springboks win the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan by defeating England, featuring teammate Tom Curry, in the final.

Feb 13, 2020, 19:30

Had "Bok" written all over him since day 1.

The timing of his leg injury was worse than injury itself. I still believe that had it happened just a year later, JSVR would today be a regular Bok.

There's still time...I guess.

Feb 13, 2020, 19:32

What this guy could have achieved had it not been for one season of butterfingers. I'm a big fan and would have him in the Bok #12 jersey in a heartbeat.

Feb 13, 2020, 21:51

The bonus is he can play 12 or 13 - we need him back in the squad along with Jan Serfontein

Feb 13, 2020, 22:56

Still remember the match where he used Stepfontein as a doormat.

Feb 13, 2020, 23:19

Serfontein has been brilliant for Montpellier

Feb 14, 2020, 08:05

Point being, guy is a beast. 

Do the Boks have a better hole-punch available to them? I can't think of any.

JSVR with Nkosi/Mapimpi running off his shoulder seems a dangerous prospect.

Feb 14, 2020, 16:15

Van Rensburg is a great line breaker, but I think what scored Erasmus off  is his problematic defense.   Hope he keeps improving.    If he keeps performing he will be on Rassie's shortlist.   

Feb 14, 2020, 16:41

Nienaber’s shortlist.

Feb 14, 2020, 19:05

Bullshit Mike there is and has never been an issue with his defence

You are speaking shit

You need to Log in to reply.