Ruan Ackermann

Forum » Rugby » Ruan Ackermann

May 19, 2020, 07:56

I read in a news report recently that in two months he will qualify to represent England. Two things. Is he good enough to challenge the current crop of English internationals, and if so, should he go for it or try to push his way into what will surely be a young future orientated springbok squad? I haven't seen him play for Gloucester, so I can't comment, but he looked to have pretty good potential back when he represented the Lions. 

May 19, 2020, 09:28

I didn't realize he was gone that long.

He's a class act and with quotas like Notshe looming to take up the Goats 8 jersey, I'd highly recommend he forget about this country and it's race based selection policies. He should make his home abroad and build himself a career there.

It would be great to see him play against the Goats one day.

May 19, 2020, 10:45

I am not sure the two months are correct.   He has to be in England for 5 years as against the thee years previously required.   The English has very good loosies and whether Ruan will be good enough to get into the English team is another question.   Two of their loosies were in the run for Player of the Year in 2019 and there are others as well,  

The fact is that Erasmus had Jones appointed to watch pout and deal with SA players in Europe and I think he ahs a better chance playing for SA than he has of playing for England,  

May 19, 2020, 14:38

He is definitely good enough to be a Bok and should try play for the Boks

The 5 year qualification period only came into effect after the WC so won’t apply to Ruan, he only has to wait 3 years

He must be close to 3 years as his dad has coached Gloucester for 3 seasons now

May 19, 2020, 14:56

Andy Goode spoke about some rumours that Akkers was pushed out by undisclosed sources on their Podcast this morning. Nothing verified though.

Apparently a player, staff coup.

May 20, 2020, 00:54

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes but Gloucester have shown the mediocrity by forcing Akkers out if that is the case.

May 20, 2020, 01:04

Just watched the clip from the Rugby Pod, sounds like a small minority had a problem with Akkers and went behind his back to the CEO, who by their account isn't as professional as he should be. Akkers found out and left. Jim Hamilton says the majority of players and staff loved him, so its a reflection of Gloucester as a club rather than Johan.

May 20, 2020, 07:38

Yeah, sorry Gents. Meant to put this in the other Ackermann thread. 

You need to Log in to reply.