Forum » Rugby » Ruan Venter

May 23, 2022, 22:22

We keep producing these powerhouse forwards

The young Ruan Venter of the Lions is another

The guy runs through brick walls. Shit he is strong

Best suited to blindside but sometimes employed at lock

The number of good young loosies coming through is staggering

Add this physical freak to the list and he’s only 19

I watched some school boy rugby the other day and saw another physical freak from Paarl Boys who was only 16 playing 7. The hits he was putting in were bone crushing - remember the name Divan Fuller

Another who looks set to be a great is Grey Bloem number 5, JF v Heerden - wow what a player, all 2.02m of him

May 23, 2022, 22:45

I’m more impressed by the offloading I saw from Quins than these Deysel twin clones who love to run at things rather than avoid them. It’s no fun being a brick wall these days.

May 23, 2022, 22:51

Give me the impressive du Preez twins everyday.

It’s why they and Andre Esterhuizen keep making the Prem teams of the week

May 24, 2022, 00:05

Well that’s what you have been saying for 6 years. Time for them to step up.

May 24, 2022, 00:50

Big fan of Rassie but his limited use of the du Preez twins and Esterhuizen is criminal, especially when you consider his use of pretenders like Mostert and Wiese or old man Frans

Criminal

May 24, 2022, 04:42

The Diesel 2.0 twins are surplus to Springbok requirements. Their performances for the Boks have been average at best, missing at worst. 

May 24, 2022, 06:22

Saffex, "Old Man Frans" was the principal architect in the ABs losing the 2nd RC test vs the Boks last year,  if you remember.

It wasn't until he came on and raked off a couple of excellent touch finders that the Boks looked close to overcoming the deficit. His cool head kept the Boks in it and although he's getting long in the tooth, you need someone with that experience coming on late in the game when you most need guidance.

May 24, 2022, 08:21

Shark your pathetic take on the du Preez twins is as ignorant as ever

Moola a few long kicks does not define a player - Frans is fat, slow and a complete liability at test level

His days are long gone. The current excellent form of Willemse makes Frans’s continued presence on the Bok bench a complete no go

May 24, 2022, 12:06

Saf, I think you are missing Moola point. You need players that knows how to stay calm and that comes with experience. I agree that Frans is Fat and slow but he still has some skill which is incredible how good a rugby he actually  was. Frans made a lot of mistakes in his career and we use to climb into him for that. 

Willemse doesn't come close to Frans match winning temperament. I have never seen Willemse take a game by the scruff of the next and just beat his will into it. Frans always had that ability and even today still has it. Man, he could  break the  line at will, send down huge kicks and don't forgot those two insane drop goals against Australia from the touchline to give the boks the edge and leading them win. 

He has chilled a lot now and looks like Rassie is putting a lot of emphasis on team culture. 

Although it is working, I still think it is a mistake because how do you bring new players in. Look at Neil Powell, the Blitzbokke are a shadow of their former self. 

Which  is exactly my fear, yes we won the WC, the lions and 1 championship when all the other teams didn't try to win it. 

Rassie need to bring in blood and push the old guys. But my real question is what to do with Willemse. The only time I saw him dominate a game was when he was at 10. But he need a few more seasons there to learn to be calm and not try to step everyone all the time and only pass as a last resort. 

Maybe 12 is a good place for him for now but I don't want to see him there for the boks when we have better 12s. 

May 24, 2022, 16:36

Willemse did well @12 & 15 in the URC...he's maturing.

May 25, 2022, 01:31

Rubbish King Willemse these days is far far more influential than Frans is. The guy these days is a slow, shadow of his former self.

There is absolutely no point in continuing with him in the Bok set up when we have Willemse stepping up to the plate

They are different players - Frans played the physical game but had a good skill set, Willemse is far more elusive and far more likely to find space than Frans ever did.

Frans targets contact, Willemse space. One is fresh and explosive the other slow and cumbersome

You need to Log in to reply.