You need to LOG IN to reply.

SA Super rugby coaches

Forum » Rugby » SA Super rugby coaches

Mar 07, 2019, 16:00

Let’s face it, we are certainly not blessed with the greatest coaches out there.

The jury is still out on Swys as a head coach, he has always plied his trade as an assistant and the season has not gone well for him thus far thanks to some poor selections which look to have got worse this week. I’m unimpressed

Fleck and du Preez look way out of their depth. They come with no coaching pedigrees and it shows.

Pote Human strikes me as Mr conservative but to date his side is playing well. I just can’t get excited about his credentials as a coach.

All in all our sides look horribly short changed in the coaching department. Certainly nothing to get excited about

Mar 07, 2019, 16:11

Most SA coaches are schoolboy standard, or maybe local club amateur teams. 

Some are even pub standard coaches- such as Noel Marias that worked at the Bulls.

The best they can offer is set piece rugby and defence, but they have no understanding beyond 2nd phase. They are particularly weak in backline play. 

Even when playing at school it was obvious that the coaches had a 10 man first phase mindset

Mar 07, 2019, 16:16

Dave

I think the problem is with SARU and until such time as rugby franchises are privatized and privately owned - like in Europe - rugby in SA will be administered by organizations not capable of running any professional sport.   As long as our rugby is run by amateurs so long we will have amateur coaches.     

Mar 07, 2019, 16:16

Our coaches don't lack for a plan. Our game is always highly structured. That can be a problem when payers can't or won't think on the field. South Africa is not blessed with analytical people, or proactive people. 

I'm very impressed with the Sharks movement amongst the backs. If anything it's our traditional strengths that are poorest now. Defence and set pieces. 

Mar 07, 2019, 16:24

Silly Billy 

What is that about?   If our players are as stupid as you implied - how come so many of the "idiots: are lured by foreign clubs to play for them?

We had dud coaches in the past whose main ideas were based on totally inept approach to rugby and I fail to understand your highly structured comments mean when players were in the past not allowed to "think' on the field.

Your second paragraph is totally misleading and contradictory of your past protestations on site, 

Mar 07, 2019, 16:31

To be quite honest, there are only a handful of good coaches around these days and I'm speaking globally.

Most national coaches aren't much better, if at all, than what we have here.

Look at France and Italy. Look at Australia.

Our current Bok coach is on par with them all.

Rugby as a whole has regressed ...  

Mar 07, 2019, 16:49

Scott Robertson is the real class act out there.

Love his attitude

Mar 08, 2019, 10:07

Posted by: Saffex (16014 posts)
Mar 07, 2019, 16:49

Scott Robertson is the real class act out there. 

Love his attitude”

And, of course, your mate Pete. 

What about him? Isn’t he also a class act?

Mar 08, 2019, 11:37

Pete is a great coach after 5 years at Griquas, he is now coaching Paarl Boys

Mar 08, 2019, 12:06

So he didn’t make it past the Vidacom Cup then?

Mar 08, 2019, 12:16

Mar 08, 2019, 12:06

So he didn’t make it past the Vidacom Cup then?

Mar 08, 2019, 12:17

Not to pedantic, but it is spelt Vodacom Cup....

Vida Cup, well it is just not the same thing....

Menstrual Cup that Surpasses all Menstrual Cups, Don't Let Your ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Menstrual-Surpasses-Control-Alternative.../B011C5Q91U
 Rating: 4.3 - ?156 reviews
MAKE YOUR MENSTRUATION CYCLE BETTER Remove your stress and restrictions by using the Vida Period Cup. You will never again have to use unhealthy ...

----

Mar 08, 2019, 12:19

Ceradunce

I would not  open that stupid mouth of yours,   We all know you are brain-deficient as well.   Human was the Head Coach and from their went to coach the Pretoria University Team and is now the Head Coach of the Bulls.   The team is doing quite well under Human - better than they did the last two years under your dead-head double Ludeke

Pete can go from the top rugby school in SA to higher honours easily.   Hell how dim can you get? 

Mar 08, 2019, 12:34

Ag jirre tog ou Hangpram.

Mar 08, 2019, 12:53

I would rather have that than your empty brain cavity problem

Mar 08, 2019, 12:55

Actually his wife left him and he needed to move closer to Cape Town to be closer to his two little boys you stupid prick.

Just for the record ignorant prick - last I checked Griquas were in the Currie Cup but hey you hope you enjoyed your childish little dig you pathetic twat

Mar 08, 2019, 13:35

Dave

Don't be nasty to brain-deficient Ceradunce - he cannot help being a moron.

Mar 08, 2019, 14:02

I think that you need to have a combination of a great director of rugby and and good coach that can to work together and be able to apply their strategy over a 5 to 10 year period. Unfortunately we put a lot of responsibility on the head coach. 

WP had a good thing going when they got Rassie as they were producing a lot of young starts such Eben, Kolisi to name a few. Where as in the previous years they simply weren't so prolific. Winning all of the age group competitions. 

Hanneke Meyer also had a great run at the Bulls and made average coach like Frans Ludeke look good with the amount of talent that they poached 

Mar 08, 2019, 15:12

KC

Youi are correct - ut ,ost of our members are very vague about the difference between a Director of Rugby and Head Coach and where the two positions fit in in the organizational structure of Franchises and Clubs,  

For instance they do not realize that Erasmus was appointed as Director of Rugby by SARU - not as Head Coach and that a new Head Coach will be appointed after the 2019 WC.

Ludeke was always a poor coach and I was surprised abut his appointment by the Bulls.  While Meyer was there to hold his hand he did well - virtually immediately after Meyer's departure to the Springbok's coaching job he fell apart.

The real topic should be who would be appointed as Springbok coach,   It could be -

*    White - but I do not think his relationship problems with SARU and the fact that I cannot see how co-operation between Erasmus and him would work out;

*    Ackerman - but I do not know when his contract with Gloucester will expire;

*    Dawie Snyman - an outsider - but a really good coach;

*    Wessels of the Rebels - another outsider

I wonder who else will be considered.

Mar 08, 2019, 17:54

''Hangpram".....this is a new one for me Vlag....meaning?

Mar 08, 2019, 17:58

Mozart

I expect something more from you than to enquire from the top idiot pm site about his idiocy.

Who do you think should be considered as the new Chief Coach after the WC?      

Mar 09, 2019, 01:54

Imagine that, another thread and another platform for old Lügie to tell everyone how stupid they are. Nice to see you adding variation to your gameplan. :D

We've dealt with this issue before. Your belief is this: If a team loses, they didn't have a plan. You've even gone so far as to say that Meyer kept the Boks at number 2 in the world for most of his tenure without any gameplan at all. This is both immature and ignorant. Quite remarkable that you actually expect this to be taken seriously by adults. The Bok game has long been rigid in structures and patterns. This means players don't have to think very much, but it also means that it is easier to predict. That can be a good or a bad thing, no team is entirely unpredictable. The Boks on the otherhand are very rigid in its patterns, especially under Coetzee and Rassie.

We can take Damian as an example. Look at those first phase balls where he passes. You'll see that there is a clear plan to move the ball, he can generally do this. From phase play, however, he can't read what's happening around him and darts around before burrowing like a mole. Meyer had Jean, who could read the game, once he was gone, Meyer scaled back the gameplan more and more as 2015 progressed to accommodate the limitations of the personnel at hand. We can all say that our coaches are inadequate, but players provide coaches with options. A gameplan that is too complex isn't likely to succeed, likewise one that is too simple. There needs to be a degree of flexibility. It also needs to fit the skills and intellectual ability of the players. Too much freedom to think has often led to handling errors as players struggle to sync. How many of the new generation can combine like Fourie, Habana, Jean, Du Preez, Frans et al? Not many? Our players are not amongst the smartest. 

Mar 09, 2019, 07:53

I asked s logical  question about the potential future Head Coach to the  Springboks and that is enough cause for Silly Bully to go bananas.  

He went on the standard  defense of  Meyer - the coach who really did not have a game plan to play 15 man hand to hand rugby and said so himself,   The fool even make the following quote:-

"The Bok game has long been rigid in structures and patterns. This means players don't have to think very much, but it also means that it is easier to predict."      

Easy to predict is a huge liability and normally stems from the same things repeating itself again and again.   If anyone calls that a game plan a visit to a shrink is highly advisable.   So because Meyer picked players who were not capable of learning anything new - he scaled back the already near to non-existent game plan to even to non=existent level,  

Dear Silly Billy then name a few players noted for their individual abilities in adverse circumstances  and spoil the broth  by referring to Frans.   But what is worse is that the Springboks play  a much more skillful and comprehenive game than they did under either Meyer and Coetzee.   . 

When I referred to potential candidates as Chief Coach of the future I deliberately left out  the three worst coaches of the past decade - Meyer, De Villiers and Coetzee,   At times I think Meyer was the worst of the three insofar as an understandable and logical game plan is concerned,  

So Silly Billy - should the new Chief Coach be the totally incompetent Meyer of Japan disaster fame? 

Mar 09, 2019, 19:39

@Moz.

"''Hangpram".....this is a new one for me Vlag....meaning?"

The English for "pram" is "udder". 

Hangpram - Hanging udder. Got it? I used it for the first time shortly after "that" picture appeared, following "that" article about a certain municipal, or whatever, figure.

Google "pram from Afrikaans to English". More specific a goat's udder. The Griquas also used it as a verb to indicate milking a goat. They would tell someone to "...gaan pram die bok" ("Go milk the goat")

Mar 09, 2019, 19:41

Thanks - but than it comes from a complete simpleton.   Will rather be accused of that than being verified as a moron.

Mar 09, 2019, 19:42

Thanks - but then it comes from a complete simpleton.   Will rather be accused of that than being verified as a moron.

Mar 09, 2019, 19:45

The ou Maaik bashers cashing in on a photo of ou Maaik that Moffie put up without permission.

And these same hypocrites are still whining to this day about photos I put up with Moffie's and Dense's express permission.

Wake up and smell the putrid stench of your hypocrisy!

Mar 09, 2019, 20:42

The Body Guard has spoken. Don't worry, Ou Maaikie probably really appreciates your efforts.

You need to Log in to reply.