SA teams road to URC finals

Forum » Rugby » SA teams road to URC finals

Apr 05, 2022, 18:45

So the SA teams are coming into their own now in the URC and it  looks like they are peaking at the right time. With no travel for the next four weeks, the teams are in a good place to challenge for the top 8 spots. 

As far as I can tell, the top 8 teams qualify for the quarter finals, however, the Heineken Cup is a slightly different qualification. That said, would it be great if we can get all four teams in the top 8. 

So lets take a look at each teams chances. I do think that it will be very hard to unseat Leinster as the top team. They are sitting on 60 and our nearest team, the Stormers are on 43 with 4 very tough games remaining. 

There are some massive gaps in the schedule, with a 3 week break between April and May for the final game which is away for all of our teams

So  let's look at the chances of each team. 

09-Apr22-Apr30-Apr21-May
StormersBullsGlasgowLeinsterScarlets
BullsStormersBenettonGlasgowOspreys
SharksLionsLeinsterConnachtUlster
LionsSharksConnachtBenettonDragons

Prediction
Stormers, 2/4. Glasgow, Bulls and Leinster are all tough teams. Stormers can beat Glasgow and Scarlets. Bulls and Leinster are 50/50
Bulls, 3/4 Seem to have the easier run with only the Stormers that can cause them problems
Sharks 1/4, only see them taking the scalp of the lions but Connacht could also be another one to take. Ulster away may be a step too far for them. 
Lions 3/4, probably the most easiest run of the bunch, only Sharks  and Dragons may  cause a problem give that the final game is in Wales. 

Still not sure about our away games as we seem to struggle playing to the refs whistle up north. 

All and all, would be great if 2 or our teams can get all four games.  But  it would be great if we can catch up to Ulster, Glasgow and Connacht on the log. 

Looking forward to these games, pity that they are not every weekend

Apr 05, 2022, 19:17

Bools will be critical to win for the Stormers...the top 4 teams also have some tough matches to come, but only 2 matches each.

Apr 06, 2022, 11:47

TablePWLDP +/-DiffTry +/-TBLBPoints
leinster (1) Leinster Rugby151230475 / 20327265 / 2010260
ulster_rugby Ulster Rugby151050355 / 24211341 / 256350
warriorslogo Glasgow Warriors151050374 / 2878739 / 275350
munster Munster Rugby15960433 / 26816556 / 257447
Deh1iTfWsAAYGy0 Edinburgh Rugby15861354 / 2658947 / 317344
stormers Stormers14842367 / 25311448 / 305243
image (9) Bulls14860388 / 2929645 / 316342
sharks Sharks14851383 / 2879639 / 324141
image Connacht Rugby15780323 / 411-8840 / 513132

Apr 06, 2022, 11:51

Here is the current log, So we can hall in Glasgow, Ulster and Munster then we have a good chance of a potential table finish as follows

Leinster, Ulster, Glasgow Bulls, Stormers, Munster, Sharks, Glasgow, Lions?

Apr 06, 2022, 12:37

While unlikely, it's still possible for one of the top 3 SA sides to get to 2nd place on the Log. Ulster has left: Munster at home and Edenborough away...one slip...unlikely, but GO Stormers!!!

Apr 10, 2022, 08:29

Well, Bools put behind us, but 3 tough matches left for the Stormers.

Apr 11, 2022, 15:46

So now the local derbies are done and dusted and our team can now get back an focus on winning all of their remaining games. We still have another 2 home games and 1 away before the knock-outs start. 

Stormers are sitting on top but have tough games against Leinster and Glasgow which are the 2 table  topping teams. 

That said, Leinster are currently playing home and away against Connacht but it is in Ireland games. So hopefully our teams will be fresher when they visit us down south. 

But it will be sharks that will be hosting Leinster first, lets just hope that the rain will stay away in Durban and get some heat back to sap the irish. 

However, the lions have a very slim mathematical chance to make the quarters. 

But I hope we can get at least 2 SA teams in the top 4. 

Apr 11, 2022, 18:54

If the Stormers can manage to scalp Glasgow and Scarlets, we should be more than OK...

May 09, 2022, 14:21

So we are in the final rounds of URC and the SA teams have done way better than expected. At one point I was hoping the Lions could creep into the the top 8 where we could of had all of our teams, but the Lions isn't the same team, they have potential and they did us proud at home, although they did drop a game which they could have won. 

The sharks were the other culprit and was outplayed in the wet. 

Now there is one round left, we have Leinster in the Semi final which will be played on the weekend. 

It is Munster v Leinster, then there is Ulster not to mention the Welsh only playing for pride and to finish top of their group to get European Qualifications 

PosTeamPlayedWinsDrawsLossesPoint DiffPoints
Leinster Rugby
Munster Rugby
Sharks
Stormers
Ulster Rugby
Bulls
Glasgow Warriors
Edinburgh Rugby
Ospreys
171007-4544
Scarlets
17809-3544

My predictions is that we will have 3 Irish sides in the top half

Leinster and Munster, probably going to be an academy team from Leinster as they are certainly going to finish top. Munster to take this one, but by how much. They have a superiors points difference a win would give them 60 but a bonus point will give them 61. 

Ulster vs Sharks, so probably going to be Ulster due to home field advantage. Uls 59 or 60, Sharks if they can win either finish on 56/57 or a win could give them 60 or 61

Stormers and Bulls are playing against Welsh sides away, but they could drop a game so it is 50/50

Final table 

Leinster

Munster

Ulster

Stormers

Bulls

Sharks

Glasgow

Edinburgh

May 09, 2022, 14:26

Match ups could be 

Quarter

Leinster vs Edin

Muns vs Glas

Ul vs Sh

Bulls vs Storm

Semi

Lei vs Sto

Ul vs Mun

Finals

Lei vs Mun

May 09, 2022, 17:34

The mental exhaustion of Munster after the Toulouise match should not be understated (still hoarse from a cracking match).  If Leinster wins the semis next week then we maaaay have a chance if they rest their top players for the final.    Otherwise we are going to lose.   We seem to have lost the mental battle against them and give them too much respect.   the match against them last month was terrible to watch.  No fire in the belly.   I can't remember such a flat atmosphere in Thomond against an Irish team ever.  

But then again maybe we were giving them a false sense of security to do them over when it is important.    

I expect we will end on 57

May 09, 2022, 19:50

Dude, that was a heartbreaking loss...reminded me of the Boks losing to Aus in extra time with the Larkham drop goal...and we had a more than competent team at the 99RWC...Sh!t happens.

May 10, 2022, 00:06

Looks like the sharks are signing all the good players as the latest addition is the very talented Flanker Vincent Tshituka from the Lions...they building a strong Squad that will be tough to beat.

May 10, 2022, 11:15

Ja, only  if the Stormers had the money of the sharks with their current coach then I think they would be quite happy to compete against Leinster.

The sharks are signing all the right players and building a formidable world class squad.  

Just looking at their team and in  key areas. Their front row is world class, Locks aren't to bad either but will be boosted with Etzebeth there. Backrow is solid, like Pepsi and great to see Tisuka joining. 

Backline is getting there, Hendrikse probably needs a few more seasons but already showing a lot of class. Bosch is my only concern at 10 as he blows hot and cold. 

Great to see Van Rensburg, but he hasn't really featured much for sale recently and has been battling to get a few games in a row, but great combo with AM. Hope they can keep him fit. 

The back 3 of the sharks I have no problem with, but Nkosi is leaving for the bulls. So will be interesting to see, 

Speaking of the Bulls, Simalane is crossing the Jukskei to join the bulls next year. But the bulls need to get rid of their geriatric players and get some you with experience in there. 

May 10, 2022, 14:56

Ja the Stormers are having Financial problems, but the way they play with mostly no name players is awesome...hats of to the players and coaches....go Stormers!!

May 21, 2022, 23:08

No sure if you ones watch the games this weekend?

Most disappointing was the sharks. All their young guns and some of their names completely misfired. Kolisi was no where, Hendricks knock way too many balls on, Mapimpi did his usual poor wing defence and Agassi got exposed in the tackle by being bumped off. Grant Williams did amazing and can see now why he got selected. 

The bulls ran away with the game but then let the Ospreys back in towards the end. 

Lions did well, but it was the 2nd worst team in the comp

The Stormers left it late but the scarlets played really well

Oh and Leinster completely destroyed Munster. 

But glad to see we have 2, 4 and 5 on the table. 

This also means we got 3 teams in the Heineken cup next year. 

stormers v Glasgow

Bulls V Sharks

Quarters or on 5 th June 

If the stormers win it will be either against the sharks or the bulls.

But wow, Leinster have some squad 

May 22, 2022, 01:26

Kolisi was none existent until the second half against Ulster but he did step up in the 2nd half. Everyone keeps saying the star studded Sharks are going to burst into 6 gear any day now but it never quite seems to happen. Overhyped or management not getting the best out of them.?

I feel the Sharks have another 2 gears to go through, but then again I feel Ulster have 1 gear left in them as well.

I actually wouldn't say Leinster destroyed Munster, but they they where deserved winners. I'm actually positive about Munster, they are now trying to proper playing rugby and I expect its down to Graham Roundtree been given increasing influence over Munster's play style now that he's taking over from Van Graham next season. 

Just to clarify its Stormers against Edinburgh.

So last 8 are

Leinster Vs Glasgow

Stormers Vs Edinburgh

Ulster Vs Munster

Bulls Vs Sharks

I would favour Leinster and Stormers but the other two matches are very hard to call.

Alas no one will beat Leinster to title. :(

May 22, 2022, 10:05

I have been really impressed with the stormers this season. 

I think our teams could be further ahead if they got to grip with Nothern hemisphere referee styles sooner. It is still shit but at least we are adapting faster now. The head contact area is also concerning as it ruins games with their excessive reviews. Hand on the shoulder or a player slipping up or the tackler dipping means an immediate red car then if you lucky a yellow. Attacking players can almost target the tackler and know they would be send off. 

My other bug bear, the stop start of fixtures. We had to wait two weeks and now have to wait another week while Leinster play the finals. 

But I’m glad to see all 3 SA teams are playing at home and if the Stormers win it will be a semi which would almost guarantee an SA team in the final 

May 22, 2022, 12:07

The Stormers played well this season, but we got out of jail a few times where the luck went our way for a change...we only lost 4 matches...pity we can't get a few of our old stars back...Dobson is much better than he's given credit for.

May 22, 2022, 19:50

Ja, Dobbo is probably the best coach, but speaks volumes of his quality. Imagine if we could have De Allende, Etzebeth, PSTD in the team along with Leyds who has been a revelation. 

The sharks can keep lazy Kolisi who is now just a personality and shirt seller for the sharks. They signed him for 5 years, good luck trying to get more games out of him. 

May 22, 2022, 19:50

Ja, Dobbo is probably the best coach, but speaks volumes of his quality. Imagine if we could have De Allende, Etzebeth, PSTD in the team along with Leyds who has been a revelation. 

The sharks can keep lazy Kolisi who is now just a personality and shirt seller for the sharks. They signed him for 5 years, good luck trying to get more games out of him. 

May 22, 2022, 23:51

SA have 3 of the top 6 teams,

How many are South African players (e.g. Duane Vermeulen) playing for overseas teams?
Imagine we could cherry-pick "some" of their best players, and they could not pick SA players - it would be a walk in the park

You need to Log in to reply.