Saffas in England opt to stand, not kneel, in support of Rugby against Racism

Forum » Rugby » Saffas in England opt to stand, not kneel, in support of Rugby against Racism

Aug 17, 2020, 16:01

Hier kom kak...

And while rugby remained at the forefront of the action, participating teams all undertook their own interpretation of the Premiership's "Rugby Against Racism" campaign.

The English Rugby Premiership resumed this weekend following its suspension in March as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. 

Unlike their football peers, however, not many players opted to take the knee in support of the Black Lives Matter (BLM) campaign that's gained traction with sporting codes around the world.

Following Lungi Ngidi's stance on the BLM movement a few months ago, cricket in South Africa is currently plunged in a deep discussion about systemic racism in the sport. 

The Solidarity Cup, the first cricket match to be played in the country following Covid-19 saw the participating teams, former players and Cricket South African administrators take the knee before the match in support of the movement.

South African players in the Rugby Premiership, however, along with many of their team-mates opted to stand before matches got underway on Friday and Saturday. 

At the Sale Sharks, where eight South Africans turned out against Harlequins, players wore "Rugby against Racism" T-shirts before the match to "stand together in the face of all discrimination" as announced by the franchise.

None of Jono Ross, Faf de Klerk, Coenie Oosthuizen, Akker van der Merwe, Dan du Preez, Robert du Preez, Lood de Jager or Jean-Luc du Preez opted to kneel and were joined by England centre, Manu Tuilagi, Wales prop, Willgriff John and Scotland wing Byron McGuigan.

Only Sam Hill, Simon Hammersley, Tom Curry and Marland Yarde - all of England - opted to take the knee and they were joined by four of the seven substitutes.

In other matches, Ruan Ackerman, playing for Gloucester and Francois Venter, who turned out for Worcester also opted to stand.

English media reported in the build up to the weekend’s matches that Exeter Chiefs director Rob Baxter believed a more unified approach should have been adopted by the English Rugby Premiership instead of clubs deciding for themselves how to support the campaign.

"Just dropping it on clubs and saying, 'there you go, do what you like' is like hanging some players out to dry," Baxter said.

The Bristol Bears took a unique approach to the campaign before their match against Saracens with the team standing in a heart formation before kick-off.

BRISTOL, ENGLAND - AUGUST 15: Bristol Bears player

Aug 17, 2020, 16:55

All this kneeling, what has been accomplished? More division? Kneeling. The arm-chair activist's safe approach. 

Aug 17, 2020, 18:10

The only SAFFA that i want kneeling is Saffex's mum.

Aug 17, 2020, 18:31

Ouch!!!

Aug 17, 2020, 18:42

While empowerment of poor people is a good cause, white South Africans have become the Jews of the world without a promised land. Many doors are closed to white people in SA, such as government employment schemes etc - or anywhere where government can have an immediate influence on recruitment. 

So I don't see many white South Africans kneeling for black lives matter given what is going on in SA. 

Any country should be getting as many people as possible from all races into the middle class and away from impoverishment and lack of opportunity.
 However, this does not even seem to be applied by black leaders in Africa, where the goal of the leaders seems to be to destroy the middle class to ensure no opposition to corruption. 

If the situation was reversed and black people were the majority in Western countries, would they honour white lives matter? It does not seem so in SA. 

Aug 17, 2020, 23:06

I thought this was Black Lives Matter. :D

Why would anyone have any issues with a tribute against racism in general? 

Aug 17, 2020, 23:35

Now now Chip chip

Aug 18, 2020, 15:18

It’s quite a divisive topic here at the moment. 

I’m glad to see players sticking to their guns though, those who really do not wish to kneel. 

Aug 19, 2020, 07:16

This is a solution in search of a problem.

Aug 19, 2020, 08:25

And now the sports ministeR is demanding an explanation as to why players didn't kneel in support of a marxisT movement.

Haha very funny. communisM really is the dirty boxer of politics.

Aug 19, 2020, 19:54

Aug 20, 2020, 08:21

I shit you not...this message from a work associate yesterday...

"If you not racist and you respect all lives including black lives.. Kneel!"

Aug 20, 2020, 22:57

At least some of our rugby boys are still men that know their stand and values and don;t succumb

to political agendas of absolute assholes. Well done guys.... your integrity is still there.

Aug 21, 2020, 07:47

You are one confusing dude Seb

I would have expected some statement from you like......it is God's way.... or... Jesus hates racism

Aug 21, 2020, 10:20

...mocking?

Aug 21, 2020, 17:08

If you cannot have the decency to stand and respect the national anthems of your country then you have no respect or pride in yourself.

Best the BLM criminals all move back to Africa.

BLM is an excuse for criminals that have in many cases destroyed their own counties in Africa and is intent on destroying western civilization.

They are a waste of the human race and only interested in murder, rape, looting, and claiming to be victims of white oppression but love living in Europe, America, Australia, and anywhere that will be able to support them.

I say F..k them all and that includes Oprah, Obama, and all their followers.

Sickening to even acknowledge the scumbags.

Aug 21, 2020, 17:58

"They are a waste of the human race and only interested in murder, rape, looting, and claiming to be victims of white oppression but love living in Europe, America, Australia, and anywhere that will be able to support them.

Sickening to even acknowledge the scumbags."

This from the cowardly racist pig who ran off to Canada as soon as the apartheid government packed it in.

I'm guessing AJ is too stupid to realize what a stinking hypocrite he sounds like.

Aug 21, 2020, 21:32

If you do not have the correct info on my departure just keep quiet you twat.

Never ran anywhere but planned our departure to our schedule.

As usual, you are all too eager to defend the criminal acts taking place and call all and everything RACIST.

What a twat you really are.

Aug 22, 2020, 09:19

I don't call all and everything racist. I'm just calling the small minded little coward who's posting how much he hates all black people a racist.

Aug 22, 2020, 13:59

His rant was at BLM...not at all black people in general. 

Aug 22, 2020, 15:13

Aug 21, 2020, 17:08

Sickening to even acknowledge the scumbags.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Obama is part of Black Lifes Matter? 
Obama is someone that has respect by millions across the world, perhaps more than any US president. He has achieved more than most people, and he certainly does not endorse violence or destruction. 

Arthur Martha John is part of the alt-right. It is not just black people they hate, but anyone who is not part of their cult. White Arabs who see themselves as God's chosen people with their primitive Bible. Militant aggressors who see the solution as war. 

If they were born black, they would no doubt be involved in the riots tearing down civilisation as part of black lives matter. 

White South Africans have been the victim to black politics - at least over the last 30 years. However- when you cross a certain line- the far right and far left are not that much different and just filled with hate. 

Aug 22, 2020, 17:12

Oh, cry me a river you two TWATS.

Read my posting once more but before you do remember the following:

BLM stands for BLACL LIVES MATTER.

Stay on the issue under discussion and refrain from always changing the subject and including posting that are not relevant when you respond.

Best stop responding I would suggest.

Shame.

Four More Years.........

Aug 22, 2020, 17:13

ALL LIVES MATTER including the one million aborted babies in the USA for your records.

Aug 22, 2020, 18:41

AJ's unbridled hatred of black people is the reason why he packed up and left SA as soon as he realized he had no more privileges because of his skin colour . . . now he sits in the frozen wastelands of Canada with no friends and no life other than hanging around South African message boards spewing out his supremacist and racist vitriol and celebrating everything that ever goes wrong in this country because it justifies his running away as soon as apartheid wasn't there to give him an advantage over the people he despises so much.

A sad, angry, bitter but thankfully insignificant little man.

Aug 22, 2020, 19:02

Oh look, the race card!

Aug 22, 2020, 20:54

duplicate

Aug 22, 2020, 20:55

Playing the racism card? Arthur Martha John dealt a hand based on racism. 

Generalising is racism. (e.g. if someone steals it is because they are from a race etc, etc)

America only has about 20% black people, so their votes are limited- hardly the radical left that is going to take over America. 

The moderate people are considered by alt-right to be far-left wing. 

Aug 22, 2020, 21:03

Sure there are people, places, and events that I miss not living in RSA but sadly most of our family and friends have departed or moved overseas.

The events that we attended are forever etched in our minds and hearts.

Wrong, never sad, angry, bitter but happy and thankful for our lives.

The bottom line is we are safe, secure, healthy, and forever thankful that we had the foresight and determination to secure our family's future from the day we got married.

So you two lefties can say and think what you wish because you are both LOSERS who use the wrong head when it comes to thinking and planning.

Now go and get stuffed.

FOUR MORE YEARS .....plus September is going to be a very busy and surprising month for some Demorats even those who have come clean. 

OH CANADA.

Aug 22, 2020, 21:09

DbDraad,

They always revert to the race card as all lefties do to show their ignorance.

Throw out the RACE CARD as they all do without fail.

Losers.

Aug 22, 2020, 22:12

@Arthur Martha John. will black people go to heaven? What about Muslims? What about liberals(from all races)?

Aug 23, 2020, 01:40

Well, obviously your race-baiting did not work as you two had planned so now you have reverted to faith baiting.

Get a life you TWAT. 

With respect to Muslims, I am led to believe that they will be chasing those virgins as promised by their faith.

But in closing, I must make it crystal clear that we will never ever meet in the afterlife.

The simple answer is I am heading to HEAVEN.

You know exactly where you are going.......down to the hot spot.

Burn baby burn............

Aug 23, 2020, 19:14

@Alt Right John, hopefully, that insurance policy you have pays off, and your imaginary friend is real. 

Here is the Koran. You can see it is very similar to the Bible if you read it
These Jewish, Christian and Muslim Bibles were all the same text at one point. Their forefathers all shared the same promised land, so each thinks it belongs to them. 

There is no mention of 40 virgins in this Koran version. Although like the Bible, there is lots of versions.

Aug 24, 2020, 08:44

That is one of the most ignorant things I have ever read on here. Considering the source, it is not a surprise. Is it a surprise that a humanistic leftist is devoid of facts? At this point in time. No it is not. The difference between educating oneself and just regurgitating tidbits from other errant sources, such as YouTube and social media. 

Aug 24, 2020, 09:58

Aug

You'll note that SharkVis is quick to call others Youtube educated.

Which of course just makes this all the more hilarious.

Aug 24, 2020, 11:23

@Augenoffer, you have not refuted any specific points. So you are just saying your "beliefs" are correct, a definitive truth- without needing to try to prove anything you say. 

The Bible is a humanist text, that was written by man- not God. As is the Quoran, and Jewish Bible. However each group "thought" that the other Gods were Baal. 

It is little wonder why the Middle East has been in war for thousands of years over the holy land. Each has no respect for each other's religions, believing their own to be a definitive fact- and the others to be totally wrong. However, each group wants others to respect their religion, while giving no respect to the other religion...

This type of primitive mentality is eventually on its way out, at least in most first world countries. Western Europe has now evolved past religion, and the US under 34 age group is following suit. 

Anyone can see that the Quoran has the same characters as the Bible (e.g Moses), particularly the old testament. Read the first 20 pages of that the Quoran link I posted. 

It is very clear that the religious texts of each of the three religions were at one point the same text, or story. They have been modified over the years, such as being translated to English. The Pope and other senior Church officials have the authority to edit the Bible- such as making it more compatible with more modern-day norms. 
The Quoran, unfortunately, seems to be closer to the original text from thousands of years ago, hence why it is even more primitive and barbaric.

You do not seem to challenge any specific points with any logical arguments. Instead, you just bring the primitive mentality from thousands of years ago that is that your Bible is absolutely correct, while any other religious text is evil and part of the Baal worshippers.

If you actually took the time to read the Quoran and Jewish Bible, you will see the stories are based on the same events. (e.g. Moses leaving for the promised Land). 
At one stage the Voortrekkers modified the Moses story to be compatible with the Great Trek. All believers have a poetic license to adapt and modify the story to their own needs and end. 

The reality is that one of our monkey's forefathers (e.g. Homo Erectus) made up a story about God. Since then, religion has changed over the millions of years to what it is today. There is clear evidence of religious rituals that go back for a very long time- way before the last 6 thousand years which is the creationist view of the world. Before writing is was just folklore. As one group colonised another group, this would increase the market share of one religion (or the version of the original story). 

Laziness' Helped Drive Homo erectus to Extinction | Technology ...

Aug 24, 2020, 12:14

LOLZ!!!

"The reality is that one of our monkey's forefathers (e.g. Homo Erectus) made up a story about God."

I take it that you are able to provide concrete evidence that Home Erectus or another was capable of speech and also holding the concept of a creator being.

You know, considering that you're calling Aug out about "facts"?

Here, from your favourite friends at Wikipedia...

"Though groups were more social than ancestor species, it is unclear if H. erectus was anatomically capable of speech, though it is postulated they communicated using some proto-language."

Aug 24, 2020, 12:26

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_religion

Religion has been a factor of the human experience throughout history, from pre-historic to modern times. 

The bulk of the human religious experience pre-dates written history. Written history (the age of formal writing) is only c. 5000 years old.[1] 

A lack of written records results in most of the knowledge of pre-historic religion being derived from 
archaeological records and other indirect sources, and from suppositions. Much pre-historic religion is subject to continued debate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_religion

The history of religion refers to the written record of human religious feelings, thoughts, and ideas. This period of religious history begins with the invention of writing about 5,220 years ago (3200 BC).[1] The prehistory of religion involves the study of religious beliefs that existed prior to the advent of written records. 

Writing played a major role in standardizing religious texts regardless of time or location, and making easier the memorization of prayers and divine rules. A small part of the Bible involves the collation of oral texts handed down over the centuries.[2]

Origin[edit]

The earliest archaeological evidence of religious ideas dates back several hundred thousand years to the Middle and Lower Paleolithic periods. Archaeologists take apparent intentional burials of early Homo sapiens from as early as 300,000 years ago as evidence of religious ideas. 

ther evidence of religious ideas includes symbolic artifacts from Middle Stone Age sites in Africa. However, the interpretation of early paleolithic artifacts, with regard to how they relate to religious ideas, remains controversial. Archeological evidence from more recent periods is less controversial. Scientists[which?] generally interpret a number of artifacts[which?] from the Upper Paleolithic (50,000-13,000 BCE) as representing religious ideas. Examples of Upper Paleolithic remains associated with religious beliefs include the lion man, the Venus figurines, cave paintings from Chauvet Cave and the elaborate ritual burial from Sungir.

Aug 24, 2020, 12:48

Dogs bury bones.

Ergo, they believe in god. LOL!

There are countless reasons why animals bury stuff. Is this news to you?

Burying the dead and  "(e.g. Homo Erectus) made up a story about God" are miles apart.

So, no evidence then?

Oopsie!

Aug 24, 2020, 14:21

There is a disagreement between archaeologists about religious practises, but they do believe that religion has existed long before writing. Burying dead is only one of the practises that can be associated with religion. 

Aug 24, 2020, 16:04

This whole bloody thing is a farce if you ask me. I'm sorry, but you don't get to force your agenda onto someone else. We live in a world that tries to be just, but you can't just try and scream about it because you know it will benefit you. 

If anything, and if I were to stand for a cause, then I would say CHILDRENS LIVES MATTERS

Put an end to Kolisi, bitching an moaning about him having to get up an work as a kid

Get Ngidi to shut the F up

The shear hypocrisy from these 2. Who ensured that they got to where they are now? 

Did their ANC black government help them? 

Who put Kolisi where is now. At best he is Super Rugby player, he wasn't the real captain, can only play 50 min in a game, but he is reaping the rewards while the white players, coaches and teachers that carried him get no credit

It is a selfish act!!! 

So I want this bunch just F off!!!±!

Aug 24, 2020, 16:21

Well said KC...they might mean well but they are in fact biting the hand that feeds them.

Aug 24, 2020, 23:33

Apparently some of the players that did not kneel got death threats- perhaps on social media

Aug 25, 2020, 06:44

Goes to show the herd mentality of the kneelers and their support group. Their way or the highway...some of us are getting real tired of this BS.

Aug 25, 2020, 08:39

At least Ramaphosa has been putting violence against women in the spotlight, and that by extension includes violence against young girls.

Unfortunately, people would rather cry about crimes from the 1980s than focus of issues affecting so many young people in SA today.

Three weeks back the charred body of a young girl was found not too far from where I stay. No headlines about it and no great movement started. She was 17 and caring for two younger siblings on account of both parents being deceased.

Where is her protest? Where is the t-shirt with her face on it? Where are the high profile celebs talking about here? 

Nowhere. That's where.

Aug 25, 2020, 12:41

If we all took care of children, not matter what race, background or who the parents are/were then we will make the world a better place. 

This takes time to develop, but as a white kid from a divorce family, life was really tough for me. 

Then, in come the ANC and took any equal opportunity away, but that didn't stop me. 

I managed to put myself through university at the age of 27, I worked for myself, worked for shitty wages as a teenager, made due with broken gear and stuffed shoes, lack of fancy clothes etc. 

Of course I wish I didn't have to do that, but it shaped me as a person. 

One thing my mom did do is to make sure that there was a roof over my head, I had food, went to a good school and made sure that I didn't fall in with the wrong crowd.

She worked tirelessly to ensure that I gain my own independence and stand on my own two feet. 

There is always a way

Aug 25, 2020, 15:23

Your mom sounds like a champ KC.

Good on her. 

There's that saying that's been doing the rounds lately. 

"Tough times make good people, good people make easy times, easy times make weak people and weak people make tough times."

Aug 26, 2020, 12:56

Good saying plum, I'm going to hold onto that line

Aug 28, 2020, 04:29

I will not kneel to anyone!

Aug 28, 2020, 06:52

Hi tc, welcome to Ruckers.

You need to Log in to reply.