Sale Sharks to re-brand to South African Sharks Sale.

Forum » Rugby » Sale Sharks to re-brand to South African Sharks Sale.

Sep 09, 2020, 20:46

They have 10 players from South Africa and want more.
Harlequins almost became a Southern Hemisphere team only, so maybe Sale are on the same course. 

https://www.news24.com/sport/Rugby/cobus-wiese-becomes-10th-south-african-on-sale-sharks-books-20200908

Sep 09, 2020, 21:33

It’s ridiculous. 

Sep 09, 2020, 21:40

Becs...we are willfully being driven from our land...this isn't the normal migration of players...it's fleeing disaster...

PS, good to see you around...kinda like the Saints too...keep well.

Sep 09, 2020, 22:35

It’s a sad state of affairs for both SA and English rugby, but the poor SA players have little option but to leave in order to earn proper money

Sep 10, 2020, 00:59

Dread, I totally understand the issue of forced migration but you can understand our frustration over here too, I’m sure. 

And thank you. Please stay safe. 

Saffex, you know we disagree on this topic so I’ll say no more !! 

Sep 10, 2020, 01:26

Draad, sorry, my iPad changed your name when I posted ! 

Sep 10, 2020, 01:33

There are advantages of having foreign players in a national tournament. Most countries can put together a few local teams that are international club standard, but rarely 10 teams. 

So having extra players allows the national tournament to be competitive with lots of teams, instead of a couple of totally dominant teams. 

The old Currie Cup usually has 4-5  teams that we're competitive, but other teams just make up the numbers. If the Currie Cup was boosted by top quality players from around the world, there could be 10 competitive teams. This tournament can then be sold internationally to make more money from it. 

The English Football Premiership would not be the English Premiership without foreign players. The number of teams would have to be reduced to ensure competitive matches, so it would be back to a few teams that would win. 

Sep 10, 2020, 01:43

I disagree. 

All it does is weaken the National team and that’s what the Clubs are there for; to bring on new talent. 

Simple as that. 

Sep 10, 2020, 01:54

Local teams will still bring in local talent. There will be the same amount of positions available to English players- just more teams. Instead of 5 teams that are top quality,
it is 10 teams that are top quality. (even if 50% are foreign). 

So instead of 3-4 Club teams that are dominant year on year, there are 10 teams that are competitive on their day. 

If a tournament is filled with lots of dead beat teams that are pub standard,  it is not worth watching. (Like Super18 million). 

If Super15 could have expanded by pulling in players from the Northern Hemisphere, they could have had more teams. 

Instead, they tried to field 18 teams without player depth - resulting in some pub teams- and sub-standard players that lasted 1 or seasons. 
It did not help that many of the best players in Southern Hemisphere were leaving to play in Europe- or even Japan. 

Although whatever the situation is, it can't be worse than not being able to field local teams because they all left overseas as soon as they get a bit of experience and build a reputation. 

Sep 10, 2020, 01:58

It’s done nothing but devalue the National team and inflate wages to ridiculous levels. 

Nothing good has come from it. 

Sep 10, 2020, 09:23

Becs we are not disagreeing I’m saying it’s bad for English and SA rugby but I fully understand why white players leave SA given rugby is their career and they can earn 5 times the salary in the NH or Japan coupled with the fact that the quota system is rife in SA.

I think the system would work in English rugby if they limited the number of foreigners to say 5 in the match day 23. The rule should be 13 English players, 5 foreigners and 5 home union players allowed per match day 23.

Shark has a point with foreign players allowing for more top level sides. SA can only field 5 top level sides, England double that because of foreign players

If English clubs insisted on 13 English players per match day squad you would have close to 130 players being exposed to top level rugby.

But having 10 starting SA players in the Sale side is madness

Sep 10, 2020, 11:20

Saffex I agree with you. 

I fully understand why players leave to come here and I agree they should be capped like they were supposed to be ! 

Sep 19, 2020, 12:00

SB there were 8 players in the English WC final team not \borne in the UK.  that mans more than 28% - so in a way becs is right about the issue.  

Sep 19, 2020, 14:11

No CleverWanker, if England never had those foreign players- they might not have even made the world cup final. 

The standard of football in England is much better with foreign players, as is the case with rugby. Foreigners also get blamed for England being a poor football team, but the problem is English football forwards lack pace and cant dribble the ball- so they struggle to beat 1 on 1 tackle's

Sep 19, 2020, 14:39

"...so in a way becs is right about the issue.  "

"No CleverWanker, if England never had those foreign players- they might not have even made the world cup final. "

So you don't actually know for sure, but still jump at the chance to be rude...

BTW, I agree with your assessment of the situation in this case,  just don't like the way you voice your opinion. 

Sep 19, 2020, 15:53

I was joking Draad...:angel: It was in good faith 

Sep 19, 2020, 17:16

SB

You misinterpreted totally what I wrote as per normal.   I do not care if the English and French  clubs import players by the dozen and it clearly strengthen their club sides and Club Rugby in the NH.  However,   it is only logical that those foreign players brought in will ultimately compete with the locals for test selection if they are indeed better than the local competitors.

That is the point that Becs is making and  I agree with her.    England did very well in the 2012 Olympic games - but a relatively high percentage  of their winners came from other countries,  The same with their soccer situation.   The real problem is it weakened the national team and they are nearly never anywhere in the final stages of the SWC - the same applies to international competitions on both national and Club level in Europe.

Sep 19, 2020, 20:14

Local sport, whatever the type, is there to feed the National Squads. 

The football system has already proven it is not fit for purpose in that respect. Rugby has been foolish going down the same route. 

Sep 20, 2020, 10:47

Looking at it from the bottom up, there's an advantage to having foreign players, that's being overlooked.

Lower level club rugby and cricket is where most English kids learn their game. And many of those teams make up numbers with foreigner such as myself that wanted a social game on the weekend.

We'd often have 2-5 youngsters in the side. Their schools didn't offer cricket and without lower leagues for them to learn the game in, they'd probably pack it in.

As they got older and better they'd leave us behind for higher teams at the club and if good enough they'd be invited to lower county sides.

I played at three different clubs and they all had about 6 teams...Which would have been 3 or perhaps 4 if there weren't a foreign contingent. IE stiffer competition for spots and less involvement.

On a more sentimental note, I was always impressed by the folks that ran the clubs and how everybody would pitch in. On numerous occasions i came across youngsters that weren't supported by their parents but as long as they turned up, there'd always be a lift to the game, sandwiches at tea time and lots of old hands to coach.

Sep 20, 2020, 14:30

Why is it that you all think foreign players are automatically better than locals ? I can certainly attest to the reality that they aren’t. 

They take positions that locals should have and ruin careers. It’s that simple. 

And if foreign players are so useful, maybe SA should take more in themselves !! 

Sep 21, 2020, 04:42

I agree with you here -  any suggestion to be against it  has no real merit and ultimately in practice weakens the national team.     

Sep 22, 2020, 12:38

So South African Sharks Sale have won the English Rugby Premiership. A great achievement for South Africa.

In addition to winning the World Cup, and ranking number 1 in the rankings- South Africa has won a national tournament, in another country...Many of the players were not even in the Springbok squad. 

Sep 22, 2020, 14:25

No, Shark, they have won the Premiership Cup, not the League. 

They are also not South African, they are English, no matter how you want to spin it. 

There are far too many SA players in that Squad, which is why it keeps being mentioned, but the Club remains English as do it’s Coaches. 

Sep 22, 2020, 15:14

Its fans remain English, but the players remain South African. :D

Whatever way you want to spin it, the team is South African. 

Sep 22, 2020, 16:07

No, it really isn’t. 

I wonder how chuffed you’d be if Exeter popped over to SA and joined in with your League. Not so much is my guess. 

Sep 22, 2020, 23:13

@Becs

Maak die Sale Sharks almal South Africans :D 
They will be forever the strongest in the English Premiership. 

Taken from maak die Bulle almal Bokke. 

Sep 22, 2020, 23:50

Shark, they aren’t the strongest team in the Premiership, Exeter are !! 

They might not even figure in the top four of the table. This would mean they won’t qualify for the Play Offs ergo they wouldn’t win the League and couldn’t possibly be classed as the strongest team in the Premiership. 

Sep 23, 2020, 07:42

Becs,

SharkTit is trolling you.

Say the word and I'll put him in a headlock. Then we can group wedgie him :D

Sep 23, 2020, 11:30

SB

Years ago Rupert took  a 50% share in Saracens and he Club showed major improvement as a result of more money for players being made available - among them also players from SA..   He sold his share holing about two years ago and then together with his partner took over the Bulls  with a shareholding of 74,5%.   

The English clubs need foreign players to make them  competitive in the Premiership, but I still maintain it is not anything favoring the England team.

Anyway Saracens was followed by Gloucester and now it is Sale in the same boat.    

SB

Years ago Rupert took  a 50% share in Saracens and he Club showed major improvement as a result of more money for players being made available - among them also players from SA..   He sold his share holing about two years ago and then together with his partner took over the Bulls  with a shareholding of 74,5%.   

The English clubs need foreign players to make them  competitive in the Premiership, but I still maintain it is not anything favoring the England team.

SB

Sep 23, 2020, 15:11

Plum, 

I know he is but feel free to exact some revenge on him for me ?? 

Sep 23, 2020, 17:11

As the lady wishes ;)

Sep 23, 2020, 19:25

Thank you kind Sir ??

Sep 23, 2020, 19:27

Oh Plum, I put a Smiley on that post and it ended up as question marks !! 

I’ll try again ??

Sep 23, 2020, 19:27

Oh blow it ! :) 

Sep 24, 2020, 10:09

Haha Becs,

I've narrowed down the revenge options...

1) a bogwash, live streamed on facebooK.

2) writing "knob" on his chest with sunscreen.

3) or we could go for the classic, locking him and inside a cupboard in the prefect's room for the day. 

Sep 24, 2020, 15:26

Plum.....I’m tempted by all of the above. 

Let’s go for option 3. Keep him quiet for a day :) 

Sep 24, 2020, 16:23

@Bum Plum you will be no match for my power. At least your toilet will get a good cleaning. :D

Sep 24, 2020, 19:27

Your flower power? :woot:

Sep 26, 2020, 12:47

I don't think the foreign based players have anything to fear regarding being stopped from playing in the UK. 

The British people are too weak and frankly pathetic (after years of globalist brainwashing) to stop the invasion of their country. They are destined to be a minority in what was once their country.  How much fight have they got left to save themselves? 

London has fallen and how is Birmingham doing. One by one the cities and towns will be taken over.

Amazing to see what brainwashing can do. You can get people to vote for their demise and feel virtuous about it!! 

The Globalist owned TV  companies reckon more money can be made by having large numbers of foreigners on the field. They don't give a hoot about British citizens. Take a look at soccer.

Sad to see a once great nation being destroyed by internal traitors. They desperately need a Trump! 

Oct 04, 2020, 03:17

Premiership matches called off after 16 positive Covid tests at Sale

Sounds like they are developing herd immunity. If they are isolated for 14 days, surely they will miss at least 2 matches, probably 3. 

You need to Log in to reply.