Sean Everitt . . .

Forum » Rugby » Sean Everitt . . .

Feb 23, 2020, 14:25

I didn't know much about Sean Everitt when he was named Sharks coach but I like what I've seen so far.

The Sharks are playing an enterprising brand of rugby reminiscent of the good old days of Ian McKintosh and they're getting results as well. Last week the pack was poor against the Hurricanes but whatever Everitt did or said seems to have worked because it was a much improved performance from the Sharks forwards yesterday. 

It was always going to be a tough task after losing forwards like Tendai Mtawarira, Coenie Oosthuizen, Akker van der Merwe, the Du Preez twins, Phillip van der Walt and Ruan Botha but Everitt has got a bunch of no-name replacements much more competetive up front than I had hoped for.

I had much higher hopes for the backline this season and they are fulfilling those expectations. I know I've had a few grumbles about Louis Schreuder and his amateurish service from the base of the scrum but Sanele Nohamba is a very promising option and the rest of the backline has been excellent. Aphelele Fassi has been a revelation so far while Makazole Mapimpi is becoming a world class finisher. I was a bit worried when Sbu Nkosi picked up an injury but Madosh Tambwe has really stepped up to the plate. Must also give a mention the much maligned Andre Esterhuizen who was brilliant yesterday.

Well done to Sean Everitt. One more win next weekend against the underrated Reds and it will be a fantastic tour for the Sharks. Hopefully they won't do their usual trick of having a good tour and then folding in the home games.

Come on Sharks!

Feb 23, 2020, 18:08

He is a vast improvement  on Du Preez.

Feb 23, 2020, 19:09

Bosch is an important playmaker in the game plan. He makes mistakes but he is very good at getting a backline running and getting his wings into the game - better than Junior Dupreez, and Lambie as well. 

Everett clearly favours an expansive game, and he probably realises the Sharks pack is not as strong as last year in personnel - so he has to use his backs more anyway. 
SA does have depth at forward so the new players could get better with experience. The Rebels pack is poor, but they were at home. 

Apparently Dick Muir was the backline coach under Dupreez for less than 1 season and he resigned because he wanted Bosch instead of Junior at 10.

Given Robert Dupreez senior was a Springbok scrumhalf, it is surprising that he played such a one dimensional 10 man game. 

Feb 25, 2020, 18:47

Losing their two starting props can account for the scrum shambles last week.

The line outs were a mess as well

The poor set pieces cost them - it’s a game they should have won

Mar 28, 2021, 15:13

Sean Everitt is the most promising coach in the last 10 years from South Africa. 

Most of the new coaches are crash ball donkeys with no idea how to use a backline. The likes of Noel Marais shouldn't even be coaching a schools team.

The Sharks were the form team for much of the year, only for Jake White to pip them in the latter half of the season.

Sharks led Superruby at the halfway point before Covid, with the overseas tour already completed. 

It was not a full strength Bulls team that the Sharks whipped over the weekend, but it was still pretty good. Jake White testing squad depth before the Rainbow cup

You need to Log in to reply.