Should the Boks play in the Championship and who should we pick

Forum » Rugby » Should the Boks play in the Championship and who should we pick

Oct 12, 2020, 11:55

Okay, 

So based on Aus vs NZ game I can honestly say that I do not wish for the Boks to play this year. I would love watch some test rugby but I also don't want to see players injured and the Boks beaten when going in under cooked against battle hardened players. 

That said, if we were to pick players to go I think we could scratch together a decent squad from Europe, but given the fact that Sale where the bulk of our players will come down has been in isolation due to a massive virus outbreak. 

So, should we go and who should we pick?

Oct 12, 2020, 12:01

I say we should play and we should pick only from the home based players playing in the current Unlocked comp.

Oct 12, 2020, 12:16

I am not very impressed about the SA Games thus far - too many errors and to little real rugby played,    The fact that the Bulls barely managed to beat the Griquas this weekend showed what really is going on. 

I think whether we like it or not we have to start playing test rugby and that is where we have problems with Pollard out with an injury.   I would not know who would be the flyhalf. in his place - but my own opinion is that it will be Willemse.

So here goes:-

15  DH van der Merwe,  14  Kolbe, 13 Am, 12 De Allende, 11 Mapimpi, 10  Willemse. 9 De  Klerk. 8  Vermeulen, 7 Du Toit, 6 Kolisi, 5  Schickerling, 4  Etzebeth, 3  Malherbe, 2  Mbonambi, 1 Kitshoff

16  Marx, 17  Schoeman, 18  Koch, 19 Snyman, 20 Wiese, 21  Augustus, 22 Jantjies, 23 Kriel,     

Oct 12, 2020, 14:28

Well, I would leave the bulk of the home based players at home to be honest. Most of them have showed a lot of rustiness. 

European Based Players

Forwards

1. Coenie Oosthuizen 
  2. Akker
  3. Koch / Wilco Louw
  4. Elstadt
  5. Jean Luke Dup
  6. Coetzee
  7.  Jacques Vermeulen
  8.  Dan Du preez
  9. Faf / Reinach
  10. Jaco Van Der Waldt / Rob Dupreez
  11. Duhan Van Der Merwe
  12. De Allende / Andre Esterhuize 
  13. Rohan
  14. Leyds
  15. Kolbe

This is probably where Saffex can help pick an overseas based team. 

Even writing this list just shows that we really don't have enough fit players to compete 

Oct 15, 2020, 13:19

So looks like we might not participate in this years championship and to be honest. I'm actually happy that we don't 

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/boks-opt-rugby-champs-report/

The green vs gold games were horrendous to watch and our Unlock matches was just as poor. 

I thought the Aussie Super rugby was bad but ours are below sub standard. 

Further, our local comp would be suffering taking 50 professional players to Aus just to make sure that we have enough player depth. 

Good for Aus and NZ on their kissing cousins comp but we should stay put and enjoy a lekker summer of braai and rugby 

Oct 15, 2020, 14:17

I’d love to say yes we should play but we would be at such a disadvantage given the fact NZ and Oz will have played 4 tests before the RC

With Pollard, Lood and RG Snyman our, my side would be:

15. Willie

14. Nkosi

13. Am

12. de Allende

11. Kolbe

10. Jantjies

9. Faf

1. Kitshoff

2. Marx

3. Malherbe

4. Etzebeth

5. PSDT

6. Kolisi (c)

7. JL du Preez

8. Marcel Coetzee

16. Mbonambi 17. Thomas du Toit 18. Wilco Louw 19. Jason Jenkins 20. Notshe 21. Jantjies 22. Willemse 23. Jessie Kriel

Oct 15, 2020, 17:07

How does this quarantine work?

A team picks up three injuries and then the replacements are flown in but also have to spend 2 weeks in isolation.Are they able even to practice with the Bok team or not?

Oct 15, 2020, 17:13

Nope, each team take a squad of 50 from the get go...the replacements must come from the squad.

Oct 16, 2020, 10:23

So underwriting insurance for release of the Europe Boks would have been colossal.scramble,scramble.....two of our top lossies have niggling injuries...Vermeulen and Du Toit.
Scrambling players from across the globe or just taking half the players in the Vodacom Unlocked,chaos.

You need to Log in to reply.